Mr Lange
Mr Lange
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 1576
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Sonic Sounds Ripping Project Empty Sonic Sounds Ripping Project

2/1/2012, 1:30 pm
I posted this on Sonic Retro, but it needs to be more public and only fair that the Spritas of all forums gets it too.

I, the great and noble Lange, took it upon myself to rip sounds from every classic Sonic game into samples. I have noticed too many faults with other attempts to rip Sonic sounds, most commonly being poor sample rate. I ensured these sounds to be high quality and as accurate as possible.\

Update: Added Sonic Spinball sounds thanks to the help of Sonic Retro member GenesisFan64. Readme text contains new information.

Games covered:
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Spinball
Sonic CD
Knuckles Chaotix
Sonic Triple Trouble

To cut to the chase, here is the archive:
Sonic Sounds Complete

Here is the text in the readme file. It explains this project in great detail, so please read or at least skim through it before any questions, as it covers about everything obvious and not so obvious.
Spoiler:

In summary:
Uses emulators with accurate sound emulation and proper settings.
Rips every sound in each game's sound test, with little to no bias, ignoring doubles and only naming by number.
Has additional material such as S3&K's sustainable sounds and various jingles.
Every sound is cropped and no normalization is used on volumes, to preserve the true volume differences between sounds.
Every sound is 44100, Stereo, 16 bit.

I would like to add that soundtracks for these games can be acquired in vgm format and rendered to wavs or mp3s. For those who don't know, vgm is an emulated format. It stores the music data the same way the games do, and thus the file sizes are tiny, but they are rendered in real time as if played right out of the console, so they are also the highest quality solution. I mention this not just because its useful information, but certain tunes and jingles from these games can be acquired this way. This covers the GG/SMS games' jingles not included here.

Use the in_vgm for playing vgm/vgz files. It is compatible with Winamp and XMPlay.
Such soundtracks in this format can be found at:
Project 2612 for Genesis games.
SMS Power for Game Gear and Master System games.
Zophar's Domain (the music section) for other GG/SMS games missing from SMS Power. Don't trust this site for its Genesis rips though as they do not seem to be as properly made as Project 2612's.

You might have already noticed that emulated formats span other consoles as well. If you make a point of moving to these for your game soundtracks instead, they'll shave off hundreds of mb on your disk used up by mp3s, and you'll have them in perfect quality.

Well there it is fellas. I would like to hear your thoughts.

Last edited by Mr Lange on 2/7/2012, 5:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Blackleafe
Blackleafe
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 1322
Registration date : 2011-06-01

Sonic Sounds Ripping Project Empty Re: Sonic Sounds Ripping Project

2/1/2012, 1:37 pm
Hello all mighty Mr Lange!!! Thank you for this gift. I feel honored to be the first to comment here. We have never talked before have we? Anyway thanks!
Leo
Leo
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 9153
Registration date : 2009-05-23

2/1/2012, 4:02 pm
I have always questioned why no one bothered with those sounds that are so important. At least, for those who animate with Sonic. And it has been years that no one did anything.

This is gonna be very useful, and thanks for actually going through the effort for ripping those sounds in high quality, Lange.

Just one thing, the links are not working for me (those at the end of the post)
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 6075
Registration date : 2009-09-07

2/1/2012, 4:29 pm
Someone should pin this.
Mr Lange
Mr Lange
Administrator
Administrator

2/2/2012, 2:24 pm
Woop I goofed the url tags. Fixed, links work now.
Also I might pin this lol. In fact this forum specifically could use some examination because there may be other important sound archives worth pinning.
BDB
BDB
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2008-11-04
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMuXjF_iQpAu8knfObJU2EA

2/2/2012, 2:28 pm
I have noticed that it's difficult to find good sonic sounds all in one. This should be useful to some people, nice work!
Mr Lange
Mr Lange
Administrator
Administrator

2/7/2012, 5:56 pm
Update, Sonic Spinball sounds have now been added.
SomeSpriter
SomeSpriter
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-01-07

1/8/2014, 4:37 am
Thank you,Mr.Lange I Needed this!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum