Mr Lange
Mr Lange
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 1576
Registration date : 2010-04-19

NASF 2 Animation Conflict Empty NASF 2 Animation Conflict

9/6/2010, 10:45 pm
This may not affect my decision much, but I still want to know what others think about this in advance.
Some of you may know already that Not Another Sprite Fight 2 has recently been announced as a 3D animation project.
While this kind of makes the "Sprite" part of the title pointless, it is something I am more optimistic about.
I'm very experienced in 3d graphics and animation. At this point I will have no problem making this whole movie 3d. But I still have had doubts about changing the entire method.
As of right now, I've got a lot of resources ready, I'm setting up the whole 3d framework and before long, I'll be past the point of no return.

It may be hard for anyone to decide without any visual material, but I still want to know your opinions.

If I go Sprites:
Pros:
-Maintains the whole sprite style.
-May be easier/faster to animate, and thus would be released sooner.
-Look very nice, as all the sprite animations would be hand drawn by me.
Cons:
-Very dimension limited. Most of it will have to be in 2d with very little 3d looking scenes.
-Because of the above, a lot of large ideas and even whole scenes will need to be scrapped. Most of it is supposed to be at a 2d angle anyway, but there are some special scenes involving complex camera angles.
-Hand drawing all the sprites could take a looong time. After that though, the rest of the movie would be easy to finish.

If I go 3d:
Pros:
-Complete freedom when animating. I can do absolutely anything.
-No idea or scene will have to be sacrificed. I can do everything I've planned.
-Will look very, VERY awesome. Believe me I can make it so.
-Models are all made by me, so the character styles will look unique, more in my own style, as I imagine it.
-Its rendered as a video only, so decompile proof. : D
-Help me build the skills I need in 3d animation, which opens the door to new, awesome animation projects I have planned.
Cons:
-Is no longer sprites. (Then again that may be a good thing)
-I am very experienced in 3d, but I haven't done everything yet so there are still unforeseeable problems that could force the movie to be delayed longer.
-Still needs a lot of prep work before I start animating the actual movie.

Right now I'm more interested in making sure I don't have to scrap any ideas, which is one of the biggest reasons I want to make this a 3d project. It MIGHT take longer this way, but I don't think it would.

What do you think Spritas?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

NASF 2 Animation Conflict Fzero%20death%20race
KRAnimation
KRAnimation
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2010-07-08

NASF 2 Animation Conflict Empty Re: NASF 2 Animation Conflict

9/6/2010, 11:06 pm
Hmm.. its a very difficult desision indeed. Seeming how the title reflects on what it is generally (dealing with sprites) you'd have to change the title maybe. I personally love sprite animation so I'd go for that. :) But in this case the majority rules.
darkdragon581
darkdragon581
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 2994
Registration date : 2009-12-05

9/6/2010, 11:13 pm
go 3D, i have seen very few great 3d fight animations...besides dead fantasy

___________________________________________________________________________________________

U Mad? NASF 2 Animation Conflict BallHZ
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 12958
Registration date : 2008-11-18
https://www.youtube.com/user/Granadicohttps://www.twitch.tv/granadico/profile

9/7/2010, 12:12 am
The title will make sense now because it ISN'T another sprite fight.
and would it be possible to do a combination of both? or would it be too much/pointless?
but i can't choose its too hard D:

NASF 2 Animation Conflict Granadico made by Knux184

We can learn from the past
But those days are gone
We can hope for the future
But there may not be one
-Mike Portnoy "A Change of Seasons"
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 6082
Registration date : 2009-09-07

9/7/2010, 12:43 am
Nah the first NASF animation was made with sprites, i see no point in going 3-D. Also i want this released sooner!

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata 1959-2015
Jemaster800
Jemaster800
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2010-03-21

9/7/2010, 1:13 am
Well... NASF is about sprites, but if you can make 3D as good as you're saying, then you should use 3D... I say you use what you're best in using, as it would look more awesome.
Mr Lange
Mr Lange
Administrator
Administrator

9/7/2010, 1:47 am
@darkdragon581 wrote:go 3D, i have seen very few great 3d fight animations...besides dead fantasy
You see that's what I've been thinking. It would really blow the lid off if I made a fan animation in full 3d with many different vg characters.
@Granadico wrote:The title will make sense now because it ISN'T another sprite fight.
and would it be possible to do a combination of both? or would it be too much/pointless?
but i can't choose its too hard D:
No, a combination would be twice as hard. Sure I don't have to prepare the models, but to draw that many sprites for that many camera angles and to get everything to look right would be murder.
NintendoStar01 wrote:Nah the first NASF animation was made with sprites, i see no point in going 3-D. Also i want this released sooner!
I don't want to scrap good ideas just so it gets done faster. That's the sort of mentality I often preach against.
@Jemaster800 wrote:Well... NASF is about sprites, but if you can make 3D as good as you're saying, then you should use 3D... I say you use what you're best in using, as it would look more awesome.
I'm probably good with both equally, but still leaning far towards 3d.

Leo
Leo
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23

9/7/2010, 4:55 am
Do it in 3D Lange. There's many reasons as you said. And well, it's gonna be better since you won't lose scenes or such things like that.

Also, sprites are limited, but I was about to say that you could animate like CrazyEight901. He does a good job on mixing sprites with 3D stuff. But, then you said : "No, a combination would be twice as hard." So, do it in 3D, it's gonna be better.

BTW, you can build up your skills as you already said.
Eric
Eric
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2008-10-20

9/7/2010, 11:59 am
Well crazyeight doesn't necessarily make the sprites have different angled positions, he keeps the sprites in the same position and no matter where he turns the camera the sprites stay in the same pose unless he changes it. I forgot what was that called but it was used all the time in N64 games and PS1 games, mainly for all of the special effects.

Watch your ass.
NASF 2 Animation Conflict Banned1a7c7e438gif
Mr Lange
Mr Lange
Administrator
Administrator

9/9/2010, 7:58 pm
leocartoon1 wrote:Do it in 3D Lange. There's many reasons as you said. And well, it's gonna be better since you won't lose scenes or such things like that.

Also, sprites are limited, but I was about to say that you could animate like CrazyEight901. He does a good job on mixing sprites with 3D stuff. But, then you said : "No, a combination would be twice as hard." So, do it in 3D, it's gonna be better.

BTW, you can build up your skills as you already said.
CrazyEight uses Anime Studio (aka Moho), which I have lots of experience with, and while its an awesome program, its very limited in the 3d department. I'm talking about more serious 3d animation.
@Eric wrote:Well crazyeight doesn't necessarily make the sprites have different angled positions, he keeps the sprites in the same position and no matter where he turns the camera the sprites stay in the same pose unless he changes it. I forgot what was that called but it was used all the time in N64 games and PS1 games, mainly for all of the special effects.
Its called billboarding. Its used frequently for particles, small foliage, and very distant details like trees (used with level of detail methods). Its seen more often in older 3d consoles like Eric said. Mario Kart 64 is a good example where its used all over the place.

D3Anims
D3Anims
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 6288
Registration date : 2010-09-09

9/9/2010, 8:08 pm
i say try a small demo of both and have a poll open

NASF 2 Animation Conflict Untitl11
edgeboy47
edgeboy47
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2010-07-04

9/9/2010, 8:25 pm
I think you should go 3D it would definitely be different and with your experience I'm sure everyone will love it

NASF 2 Animation Conflict Edgeboy47

Made by knux184
DarkZeroXP
DarkZeroXP
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 401
Registration date : 2010-03-21

9/9/2010, 8:42 pm
@D3Anims wrote:i say try a small demo of both and have a poll open
Best idea I've heard...

NASF 2 Animation Conflict Signaturevs
This our website! There are many like it, but this one is ours! Without us, The Spritas is nothing! Without The Spritas, I am nothing!
D3Anims
D3Anims
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 6288
Registration date : 2010-09-09

9/10/2010, 3:13 pm
@DarkZeroXP wrote:
@D3Anims wrote:i say try a small demo of both and have a poll open
Best idea I've heard...

yaaaaaaay :bounce:

NASF 2 Animation Conflict Untitl11
Eric
Eric
Administrator
Administrator

9/10/2010, 3:31 pm
You've seen what he can do with sprites, he's making a trailer for it in 3D so that will be your taste. Once you have both, you can give a better opinion.

Watch your ass.
Patt
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 13142
Registration date : 2009-03-28

9/12/2010, 3:57 pm
I don't even care. Either way it would do extreme justice in both animation departments. Considering, as said earlier; there aren't many good 3D animations from people just on the internet. The only ones I can think of are Mounty and D-SuN, and D-SuN isn't completely amazing in it. There's also Chakra-X but those weren't even that good...

I'd say go for it in 3D. You'd have a big step up doing all of the modeling, and starting a lot of it from scratch. It would do a lot of justice as well, I think doing it in 3D would be awesome. And anyways, you have been leaning more to that side.

I'd love it to be in sprites as well, but hey, NASF 1 was already in sprites, and its not like you're quitting sprite animations anyways, so I don't really mind it. The only thing I think that would be bad of it not being a sprite movie is the fact that the 'Sprite' no longer takes place in the title.

Whichever you choose, I'm sure it'll be freaking awesome. Good luck. ^^
Eric
Eric
Administrator
Administrator

9/12/2010, 7:39 pm
One big reason id want it in sprites is because it's been a long time since we've seen a revolutionizing sprite film. It's been the same for so long, last big thing was yuumonmu but he's been dead for quite some time. I was hoping NASF 2 would do that justice, but now spriters will be living deeper in the shadows of animators...

Watch your ass.
BDB
BDB
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 3518
Registration date : 2008-11-04

9/12/2010, 8:14 pm
Asking the Spritas if you should use sprites, THE IRONY! But I guess it's up to you really, I'm not gonna say until you post a 3d trailer up since we already know how the 2d style looks.

Click:
https://soundcloud.com/delgadobosso
SoarKrieg
SoarKrieg
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 1447
Registration date : 2010-05-11

9/16/2010, 6:02 pm
After reading pros and cons, I say 3D.

NASF 2 Animation Conflict Soarkrieg MADE BY KNUX184!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R.I.P. Tre' & Uncle Riece
xKAreloadedx
xKAreloadedx
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 1522
Registration date : 2010-07-20

9/17/2010, 1:29 am
@Eric wrote:One big reason id want it in sprites is because it's been a long time since we've seen a revolutionizing sprite film. It's been the same for so long, last big thing was yuumonmu but he's been dead for quite some time. I was hoping NASF 2 would do that justice, but now spriters will be living deeper in the shadows of animators...
can you really say that so lightly?? I personally think that Shuhan's new DBZ vid was definitely a revolutionizing vid, and besides theres a lot of good animators out there, IMO anyway
Eric
Eric
Administrator
Administrator

9/17/2010, 1:30 pm
His vid was good, but not revolutionizing, there had to be something very unique about it, whether that be style or the type of visuals he used. And there wasn't a unique style, nor unique visuals, still good nonetheless.

Watch your ass.
xKAreloadedx
xKAreloadedx
Spritan
Spritan

9/17/2010, 4:21 pm
@Eric wrote:His vid was good, but not revolutionizing, there had to be something very unique about it, whether that be style or the type of visuals he used. And there wasn't a unique style, nor unique visuals, still good nonetheless.
oh? then just out of curiousity what would be revolutionizing to you?
Eric
Eric
Administrator
Administrator

9/17/2010, 4:30 pm
I just said it. The video has to have something very unique, most of the time in style or visuals. YuuMonMu revolutionized in JUS spriting. Alvin-Earthworm revolutionized in mario and sonic DBZ crossovers (the biggest rev of all). Yes, you may think they're not unique they're over done blabady blah, but before them, it was scarce, or whoever was doing it, sucked with them since no one followed. All of these DBZ sonic and mario cross over thingies didn't erupt till SMBZ and JUS style sprites weren't seen much till YuuMonMu's One Piece vs Naruto.

Watch your ass.
xKAreloadedx
xKAreloadedx
Spritan
Spritan

9/17/2010, 4:40 pm
@Eric wrote:I just said it. The video has to have something very unique, most of the time in style or visuals. YuuMonMu revolutionized in JUS spriting. Alvin-Earthworm revolutionized in mario and sonic DBZ crossovers (the biggest rev of all). Yes, you may think they're not unique they're over done blabady blah, but before them, it was scarce, or whoever was doing it, sucked with them since no one followed. All of these DBZ sonic and mario cross over thingies didn't erupt till SMBZ and JUS style sprites weren't seen much till YuuMonMu's One Piece vs Naruto.
ok, i see your point now, but know that everyone is getting better so, you might just be in for a surprise :roll:
Eric
Eric
Administrator
Administrator

9/17/2010, 5:10 pm
I've already been surprised.
DestructionSeries also revolutionized kirby....but...unfortunately...that was the greatest mistake of his life.

Watch your ass.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum