anim8or55
anim8or55
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-01-09

Emerl Training Battle Empty Emerl Training Battle

4/7/2014, 10:04 am
Trying to get into the sonic style of sprite fighting, this was a test to see if I can get the pacing that is seen from animators such as Destruction Series.

Let me know what you think and any advice on how I can improve is welcome.
SᗡN
SᗡN
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 1846
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Emerl Training Battle Empty Re: Emerl Training Battle

4/7/2014, 10:51 am
Ooooh, I like.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Emerl Training Battle Tumblr_n56t8i_Q2_Ct1qbwudjo1_500
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 6082
Registration date : 2009-09-07

4/8/2014, 5:00 pm
Nice man. I like the use of SF training music.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata 1959-2015
SmackaDerp
SmackaDerp
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-06-14

4/8/2014, 9:41 pm
Amazing! How do people get this good p.p
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 6082
Registration date : 2009-09-07

4/9/2014, 5:06 am
@SmackaDerp wrote:Amazing! How do people get this good p.p

It's all practice, brother

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata 1959-2015
Rapidfir3Pho3nix
Rapidfir3Pho3nix
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 4905
Registration date : 2009-01-23
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0ntn5nE-2rEXLA8GQ7mtsAhttps://rapidfir3pho3nix.deviantart.com/https://discordapp.com/channels/142444698311589888/142444698311589888https://twitter.com/rapidfir3animshttps://www.facebook.com/Rapidfir3Pho3nix/https://www.twitch.tv/rapidfir3pho3nix

4/9/2014, 9:51 am
Alright, I'm trying to get back into the habit of reviewing animations so I guess I'll start here.
I'll start by giving you a description of your animation then I'll move on to the actual review and sum it up with some advice.

Description
So in the first second of the animation Emerl and a Emerl clone face off before a second similar Emerl clone falls in on top of Emerl. Something happens and there is a white flash and now Emerl is in the air and one of the Emerl clones have been knocked back out of frame. The Emerl clone that is still in the frame goes after Emerl while the other Emerl clone dashes behind the action and comes back around to hit Emerl out of the frame. The camera skips over to Emerl and either one or both of the Emerl clones dash around Emerl before honing in. They are both countered, however, and Emerl kicks one of the clones out of frame and chases after it. After passing the clone, Emerl turns around transforms it's hand into a cannon and fires a beam attack at the clone which destroys that clone. The other Emerl clone then transforms into a different, red clone and goes after Emerl. After a bit of fighting Emerl counters the Emerl clone, grabs it, and throws it into the ground before destroying it. End Animation.

Review
Overall, this animation was pretty good. You started off with a strong and fast pace and kept it up until the scene ended. Additionally, the fighting was fairly balanced and not repetitive.

However, the animation at times felt pretty stiff. There was also quite a bit of linear movement between the characters, you know, moving completely horizontal and vertical. It's not a bad thing but it is nice to have a bit more kinds of movement so that your animation can be more diverse.

On the subject of diversity, you used the same hit effect for all of your physical impacts. Perhaps it could be due to a lack of resources, but definitely look into adding varying hitsparks so that your animation is a bit more livelier.

Also, you repeatedly used a quite a few of the same sounds namely the punch sound, the dash sound, and the stance changing sound (the one you used when Emerl lifted his hand then brought his arm back down after he turned his hand into a cannon). Once again, a bit of diversity will go a long ways for your animation.

The sound quality of your audio isn't the best, however, it doesn't make me want to light you on fire so you're good there. But generally try to find pretty clear sound effects and make sure that frequency is 44100 KHz or a really good 22050 KHz. If you're unsure what I'm talking about go ahead and read up on it here.

I really liked how you did the second Emerl clone's little transformation there, but I kinda feel it should have started out red. Mainly because at the point where one or both of them are dashing around Emerl it's impossible to distinguish them apart. Notice how I am unsure if it's really just one of the Emerl clones dashing around him or both of them. You want to clearly visualize what is going on to your audience so it probably would have been a better to start with that Emerl clone being red.

Conclusion
All-in-all, this animation was pretty good. There were a few areas that could be improved most notably diversifying your effects, stiffness, and linear movement. That said, the pacing and general animation was great. You never let the pace falter and the movement was smooth. I would probably give this around an 8 out of 10. Keep up the good work!
Cooljoshua567
Cooljoshua567
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2011-07-21

4/9/2014, 3:19 pm
@Rapidfir3Pho3nix wrote:Alright, I'm trying to get back into the habit of reviewing animations so I guess I'll start here.
I'll start by giving you a description of your animation then I'll move on to the actual review and sum it up with some advice.

Description
So in the first second of the animation Emerl and a Emerl clone face off before a second similar Emerl clone falls in on top of Emerl. Something happens and there is a white flash and now Emerl is in the air and one of the Emerl clones have been knocked back out of frame. The Emerl clone that is still in the frame goes after Emerl while the other Emerl clone dashes behind the action and comes back around to hit Emerl out of the frame. The camera skips over to Emerl and either one or both of the Emerl clones dash around Emerl before honing in. They are both countered, however, and Emerl kicks one of the clones out of frame and chases after it. After passing the clone, Emerl turns around transforms it's hand into a cannon and fires a beam attack at the clone which destroys that clone. The other Emerl clone then transforms into a different, red clone and goes after Emerl. After a bit of fighting Emerl counters the Emerl clone, grabs it, and throws it into the ground before destroying it. End Animation.

Review
Overall, this animation was pretty good. You started off with a strong and fast pace and kept it up until the scene ended. Additionally, the fighting was fairly balanced and not repetitive.

However, the animation at times felt pretty stiff. There was also quite a bit of linear movement between the characters, you know, moving completely horizontal and vertical. It's not a bad thing but it is nice to have a bit more kinds of movement so that your animation can be more diverse.

On the subject of diversity, you used the same hit effect for all of your physical impacts. Perhaps it could be due to a lack of resources, but definitely look into adding varying hitsparks so that your animation is a bit more livelier.

Also, you repeatedly used a quite a few of the same sounds namely the punch sound, the dash sound, and the stance changing sound (the one you used when Emerl lifted his hand then brought his arm back down after he turned his hand into a cannon). Once again, a bit of diversity will go a long ways for your animation.

The sound quality of your audio isn't the best, however, it doesn't make me want to light you on fire so you're good there. But generally try to find pretty clear sound effects and make sure that frequency is 44100 KHz or a really good 22050 KHz. If you're unsure what I'm talking about go ahead and read up on it here.

I really liked how you did the second Emerl clone's little transformation there, but I kinda feel it should have started out red. Mainly because at the point where one or both of them are dashing around Emerl it's impossible to distinguish them apart. Notice how I am unsure if it's really just one of the Emerl clones dashing around him or both of them. You want to clearly visualize what is going on to your audience so it probably would have been a better to start with that Emerl clone being red.

Conclusion
All-in-all, this animation was pretty good. There were a few areas that could be improved most notably diversifying your effects, stiffness, and linear movement. That said, the pacing and general animation was great. You never let the pace falter and the movement was smooth. I would probably give this around an 8 out of 10. Keep up the good work!

That was good Rapid, almost as good as my famous CJ Reviews  Very Happy 

The Unstoppable Ala Rubra

Emerl Training Battle Ala_Rubra
anim8or55
anim8or55
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-01-09

4/9/2014, 9:59 pm
@Rapidfir3Pho3nix wrote:Alright, I'm trying to get back into the habit of reviewing animations so I guess I'll start here.

Description

Review

Conclusion

Now that was one hell of a review, thank you. I see what you're saying and I do plan to fix some of those issues. I'm trying to find more sound effect for the punches that aren't directly DBZ related and at the moment that one punch sound effect was all I had.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum