Share
Go down
lil sparky
lil sparky
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-06-27

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/9/2013, 9:58 am
I have a character that I was ok with editing with adobe fireworks. However, since I got some more experience in using photoshop, I believe it maybe better for editing it in a specific way, where I intend to use transparency. I wan't to know if there is a better, more ideal adobe program (maybe one I don't even know of) for editing sprites, and making original character sprite sheets. If I get a definite answer, I may want suggestions on how to edit something.
Leo
Leo
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 22
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/9/2013, 8:12 pm
any program works, really. you can even use paint (although it doesn't support transparency). i think photoshop is probably a bit too much for sprites - it's very powerful, yeah, but you probably won't use half (or even more) of its features for spriting.
lil sparky
lil sparky
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-06-27

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/9/2013, 8:22 pm
I see, would you mind me asking what program you use? I think I may stick with fireworks I just like to know what other people prefer.
Leo
Leo
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 22
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/9/2013, 8:30 pm
haha, i actually don't do anything with sprites nowadays. i used to use whatever i felt like using, although i used photoshop a lot. it was mostly because i prepared my sprites with it.

i know some people that like to use a program called graphicsgale, which was made with focus on sprite/pixel art creation.
lil sparky
lil sparky
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-06-27

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/9/2013, 9:19 pm
hmm, why would you say you don't do much with sprites anymore? You are very knowledgable and very contributive to my posts, I would think that you would be an appreciated talent as far as your animations go.
Oh yeah, I wanted your opinion on something simple. I created a kirby character and one of his features is that he has a green eye monitor, you can take a look here -> (http://lil-sparky.deviantart.com/art/Screen-Shot-2013-07-09-at-7-56-07-PM-384234498) for a work in progress of what he looks like. My question is, if I sort of took shortcuts on this, and made it where if he looks left and he looks right, the eye-peice changes eyes with the direction, Ill be using flip horizontally. Will the risk of getting criticized for having a small character unrealistic factor matter?
Leo
Leo
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 22
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/9/2013, 10:20 pm
@lil sparky wrote:hmm, why would you say you don't do much with sprites anymore?  You are very knowledgable and very contributive to my posts, I would think that you would be an appreciated talent as far as your animations go.

i left sprite animation some time ago. it simply stopped being fun, and it just wasn't my thing, really. i still don't know why i got into this stuff, since i've always liked drawing more. go figure.

i never finished any big solo sprite movies. the only good finished things i have made are small parts for collabs. i was working on a project called sonic vs fan characters (which you can find in the wip section) but due to a few unfortunate events (i lost the original file and also the remake) i decided to abandon it. i keep thinking about remaking it once again, but i don't really know. starting all over again from scratch doesn't sound very fun. but who knows.

@lil sparky wrote:Oh yeah, I wanted your opinion on something simple.  I created a kirby character and one of his features is that he has a green eye monitor, you can take a look here -> (http://lil-sparky.deviantart.com/art/Screen-Shot-2013-07-09-at-7-56-07-PM-384234498) for a work in progress of what he looks like.  My question is, if I sort of took shortcuts on this, and made it where if he looks left and he looks right, the eye-peice changes eyes with the direction, Ill be using flip horizontally.  Will the risk of getting criticized for having a small character unrealistic factor matter?

well it's a really small thing, so the average joe won't care about it that much. however, more experienced spriters/animators will notice it. i definitely would put in a little extra effort and make it so that the eye-piece is always on the same eye. it's just a small detail, but i think that every detail counts.
SpritingRulez101
SpritingRulez101
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 22
Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2012-12-28
Location : California
https://twitter.com/SpritingRulez11https://www.facebook.com/SptitingRulez101

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/10/2013, 12:26 am
I use paint for spriting but other programs u can use is Gimp or Paint.net(A program not a site) they both support transparency

___________________________________________________________________________________________

What is ideal for sprite editing? 14v7b4j
lil sparky
lil sparky
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-06-27

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/10/2013, 11:46 am
@leo
Well, hope that other work goes well for you =)
The kirby pic, I realized that nintendo did the exact same shortcut that I intended to take, they flip him horizontally when he looks the other way. This make the non symmetrical laser band on his head, switch to mirror what it was. I feel that it maybe best to do the shortcut I thought of, because nintendo made this inconsistency. However, I want to know what you would do in this spot being aware of this new detail, if you would like to tell.

@SpritingRulez101
Thanks, I am not sure if I can use paint (I have an Apple) but I would like to know why you prefer using it, over the others.
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 23
Number of posts : 12947
Registration date : 2008-11-18
Location : On the computer
https://www.youtube.com/user/Granadicohttps://www.twitch.tv/granadico/profile

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/10/2013, 2:31 pm
Paint.NET has a lotta the same features as photoshop and its free

___________________________________________________________________________________________

What is ideal for sprite editing? Granadico made by Knux184

We can learn from the past
But those days are gone
We can hope for the future
But there may not be one
-Mike Portnoy "A Change of Seasons"
Leo
Leo
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 22
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/10/2013, 3:13 pm
@lil sparky wrote:The kirby pic, I realized that nintendo did the exact same shortcut that I intended to take, they flip him horizontally when he looks the other way.  This make the non symmetrical laser band on his head, switch to mirror what it was.  I feel that it maybe best to do the shortcut I thought of, because nintendo made this inconsistency.  However, I want to know what you would do in this spot being aware of this new detail, if you would like to tell.

yeah well THEY did it, but it doesn't mean that you should...or shouldn't. again, it's pretty much up to you.
but i've already said that i'd make it consistent.
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 26
Number of posts : 6081
Registration date : 2009-09-07
Location : UK england

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/10/2013, 5:05 pm
Graphics Gale for me.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata 1959-2015
lil sparky
lil sparky
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-06-27

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/10/2013, 5:13 pm
@Granadico
I would use it, but I have a mac

@Leo
I wasn't saying it was justified in the sense that 'because they did it I can to' I was trying to make the observation, that since they did this, it would seem that my attempt at consistency would conflict with what they have done. Hope I don't come across as unreasonable =/

@NS01
Sorry, that too is out of my reach =/
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 26
Number of posts : 6081
Registration date : 2009-09-07
Location : UK england

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/10/2013, 5:31 pm
Sorry, that too is out of my reach =/

What do you mean? o:

___________________________________________________________________________________________

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata 1959-2015
lil sparky
lil sparky
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-06-27

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/10/2013, 5:42 pm
I use an Apple computer.
SXR123
SXR123
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 25
Number of posts : 11629
Registration date : 2010-03-07
Location : You know, a place.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/10/2013, 5:45 pm
@lil sparky wrote:I use an Apple computer.

What is ideal for sprite editing? V29Gsd1

___________________________________________________________________________________________

What is ideal for sprite editing? Accelerator_signature_by_kyuubi03-d3aqkga

ADOPT A CHAO!!
(figuratively speaking of course)
Leo
Leo
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 22
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/10/2013, 5:47 pm
you could try pixen
@lil sparky wrote:I wasn't saying it was justified in the sense that 'because they did it I can to'  I was trying to make the observation, that since they did this, it would seem that my attempt at consistency would conflict with what they have done.

no it wouldn't. if anything it's better if you do it. you're probably making too much of a big deal over this small detail, but it would be better to just do it anyway. it looks better and is more believeable (for me anyway).
lil sparky
lil sparky
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-06-27

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/10/2013, 7:42 pm
@Leo
if anything it's better if you do it.
Which way is this?  Im sorry Ill quit asking such silly things XD Im just a little lost.

@SXR123
Yes, indeed.  Haha, laugh at me.  I won't fall under the stereotype of an apple fanboy and try to defend why I have it, I will simply state that its my preference.  I don't go so far as to state it's 'better', those that do show ignorance, because opinion is not fact.
Leo
Leo
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 22
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/10/2013, 8:19 pm
well at least you're saying that. most people i know that use a mac don't think that way.

also i didn't really get your question
lil sparky
lil sparky
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-06-27

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/10/2013, 8:43 pm
I was just wondering if your stance was the same about it being better to take the long way or the short cut way, I couldn't tell which if it had changed. You are right I am thinking to critically on something so simple. I guess I am somewhat of a perfectionist =P
SpritingRulez101
SpritingRulez101
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 22
Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2012-12-28
Location : California
https://twitter.com/SpritingRulez11https://www.facebook.com/SptitingRulez101

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/10/2013, 9:07 pm
@lil sparky wrote:@SpritingRulez101
Thanks, I am not sure if I can use paint (I have an Apple) but I would like to know why you prefer using it, over the others.
I like using Paint cuz it's simple and anyone can get the hang of it and it gets the spriting job done but, I use others sometimes too

___________________________________________________________________________________________

What is ideal for sprite editing? 14v7b4j
Leo
Leo
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 22
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/10/2013, 9:41 pm
@lil sparky wrote:I was just wondering if your stance was the same about it being better to take the long way or the short cut way, I couldn't tell which if it had changed.  You are right I am thinking to critically on something so simple.  I guess I am somewhat of a perfectionist =P

i will reiterate, doing the long way is boring but gives a better result (for me) in the end. that's what I think though. since sprites are so goddamn small, i think that the details count a lot.
lil sparky
lil sparky
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-06-27

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/10/2013, 10:09 pm
@Leo
k, I was just confused for a moment.

@everyone
What do you think on original kirby fan character face expressions? Is there anything that you think would help give me an idea? (Im trying to give my character a more unique look)
AlexTGS
AlexTGS
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 23
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2013-05-05

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/11/2013, 2:23 pm
I use paint, though I haven't heard of graphicsgale before I may try that out. But i like paint because for spriting you really don't NEED anything but the basic tools. And it lets me get the job done faster cause I know where everything is rather then a cluster of filters and settings and such.
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 26
Number of posts : 6081
Registration date : 2009-09-07
Location : UK england

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/11/2013, 2:58 pm
@AlexTGS wrote:I use paint, though I haven't heard of graphicsgale before I may try that out. But i like paint because for spriting you really don't NEED anything but the basic tools. And it lets me get the job done faster cause I know where everything is rather then a cluster of filters and settings and such.

Graphics Gale is a lot easier to use. You have a frame window and onion skinning feature. There is also no restriction in zooming on your sprites unlike paint.
lil sparky
lil sparky
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-06-27

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

on 7/12/2013, 12:35 pm
Ugh, I need help. I started using photo shop, but whenever I save the image and get ready to use it in flash, it looks all blurry. How do I keep all pixels looking sharp?
Sponsored content

What is ideal for sprite editing? Empty Re: What is ideal for sprite editing?

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum