Go down
lil sparky
lil sparky
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/5/2013, 1:06 pm
I made this thread so that anyone can talk about the things that are talked about the least. (let me know if a thread like this already exists) It is easy to say that it is experience that makes any animator really good. However I believe that we all accumulate experience at different, sometimes random locations. I want to know if anyone has any real grip or feel that they have the best set up, for things like a folder for sound effects, how the sound effects are organized and accessible they are. This is something that I have my particular interest in, however I would like it if we could get several questions for random things like this. Another example people might use is a personal hotkey preference that make all the adobe products they use easier. Another example could be someone asking how people put a visual distortion effect like from a really powerful attack, make an in animation secondary view of something that would otherwise be off screen. I am sure that there are some interested in that sort of stuff, and I would like it, if after a while, people can look at this thread as a resource, so that they can learn what others have learned and possibly save themselves a few seconds, every time they perform a necessary action in animating. I already threw my intent on learning how to better organize my sound effects folder, and I am also interested in the distorting effect, however I would rather have these questions for my sake, go unanswered and have people ask questions that I could possibly answer, than to have no one replying at all. I believe that anyone asking a question could bring something to my awareness (that I wouldn't other wise) and that I would like to know. That is pretty much all I have to say, ask any random question you want, I will tell what I do for that specific thing.
Havoctacious
Havoctacious
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 24
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2012-12-29
Location : Angel Island

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/5/2013, 1:25 pm
It's to big to quote...Serious 

I'm sure you could ask stuff like this in "animation help" but it's not that big of a deal lol! 

Organization tips:
From my experience I always organize my library, like a folder for each character, an effects folder, a bitmap folder, and a background folder, sometimes a soundtrack folder. (Not to mention folders for sound effects)

Other then that I don't touch folders on the timeline unless I'm masking Crying or Very sad 

On the actual timeline you can create as many Layers as you want I always end up with a ridiculous amount of Effect Layers xD But just like the library I make a layer for each character, overlapping effects, a platform (if needed) and my V-cam. (sometimes a pre-loader, it's rare though)

My Hot Keys:

Horizontal: Crt-shift-H

Trace Bitmap: Crt-shift-T

and I'm sure you already know the frame hot keys

F6 and F7 Very Happy my personal faves


___________________________________________________________________________________________

Rushspeeddemon07/Havoctation

Animators misc. analysis thread. Just_you_and_me_deathstroke_gif_by_xpvtcaboosex-d6hlggs
lil sparky
lil sparky
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/5/2013, 1:42 pm
Thanks, I will be sure to test out that set up. I wonder, do you use trace bitmap over the break apart method? I quit using trace bitmap because I find that it slows my computer down to much.
Havoctacious
Havoctacious
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 24
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2012-12-29
Location : Angel Island

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/5/2013, 2:47 pm
@lil sparky wrote:Thanks, I will be sure to test out that set up.  I wonder, do you use trace bitmap over the break apart method?  I quit using trace bitmap because I find that it slows my computer down to much.

Yea it just gives me better quality stuff but only use it for my characters, I suggest using what works best for you

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Rushspeeddemon07/Havoctation

Animators misc. analysis thread. Just_you_and_me_deathstroke_gif_by_xpvtcaboosex-d6hlggs
lil sparky
lil sparky
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/5/2013, 4:22 pm
hmm, I started using break apart, because CS6 has done much better than previous versions of flash would when I used it. I know and still remembered that sometimes that method made it look a little wonky, or some sort of jumble. I like the idea of using it only for characters because that will probably be something I try. Would you happened to know a sound effects and even visual effects folders that I could easily look up and download?
Leo
Leo
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 24
Number of posts : 9153
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/5/2013, 9:43 pm
don't trace, it lags because it's converting the image/sprite you're using to vectors. vectors are rendered in real time (they're based on math cauculations), and that's why it lags a lot.
break apart instead, it's better, and pretty much lag-free.
lil sparky
lil sparky
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/5/2013, 10:37 pm
I understand where you are coming from, and I agree, I have tried using trace before. However when I did, I used it to trace everything. Right now I am just considering to myself the possibility of using it only with characters, as Havoctacious said. Would you say that even then, it is not worth it? Right now, I am torn between the decision of using it just for characters, and not using it at all on what I am working on right now, I am thinking about making a test animation just for this.
Leo
Leo
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 24
Number of posts : 9153
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/5/2013, 10:57 pm
@lil sparky wrote:I understand where you are coming from, and I agree, I have tried using trace before.  However when I did, I used it to trace everything.  Right now I am just considering to myself the possibility of using it only with characters, as Havoctacious said.  Would you say that even then, it is not worth it?  Right now, I am torn between the decision of using it just for characters, and not using it at all on what I am working on right now, I am thinking about making a test animation just for this.

i wouldn't use it at all. it has no real advantages over the break apart method.
lil sparky
lil sparky
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/6/2013, 9:51 am
@leo
I see. Since my version of flash doesn't seem to have a wonky look when I do break apart, I don't think Ill need it. I may end up trying it if that look pops up though, but probably not.

@Havoctacious
Do you end up having to make folders within your sound effects folder? I feel like I am needing to go through these steps.
Havoctacious
Havoctacious
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 24
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2012-12-29
Location : Angel Island

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/6/2013, 10:08 am
usually no because I have a folder for Naruto Effects, DBZ Effects, and Metal Slug I keep them all in separate folders not the same one and for character voices I usually just place them in the character folders

and I always get Jpeg sprites from braking apart Leo :L like the sprites are barely readable sometimes that's why I use trace bitmap Sad .


Last edited by Havoctacious on 7/6/2013, 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edit because I said buitmap :l)

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Rushspeeddemon07/Havoctation

Animators misc. analysis thread. Just_you_and_me_deathstroke_gif_by_xpvtcaboosex-d6hlggs
Leo
Leo
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 24
Number of posts : 9153
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/6/2013, 12:22 pm
@Havoctacious wrote:and I always get Jpeg sprites from braking apart Leo :L like the sprites are barely readable sometimes that's why I use trace bitmap Sad .

you're probably doing it wrong since the sprites always came out fine when i used it.

also, about your sfx question, yeah do it if you feel like you're gonna find stuff faster that way. back when i still had a shitload of sprites i tried to organize them as much as possible, so that i wouldn't spend time going thru the folders trying to find what i wanted.
just try to not go crazy with it! at some point i remember making a folder for everything and it got out of control. just separate the main stuff.
v2
v2
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 25
Number of posts : 5600
Registration date : 2012-05-17
Location : your girls DMs

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/6/2013, 12:37 pm
@Leo wrote:it lags
l0l

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Animators misc. analysis thread. Lorde
Leo
Leo
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 24
Number of posts : 9153
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/6/2013, 12:41 pm
Sieghart wrote:
@Leo wrote:it lags
l0l

hi come enlighten us with your great knowledge about everything
v2
v2
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 25
Number of posts : 5600
Registration date : 2012-05-17
Location : your girls DMs

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/6/2013, 12:54 pm
@Leo wrote:
Sieghart wrote:
@Leo wrote:it lags
l0l

hi come enlighten us with your great knowledge about everything
sry i forgot ppl were still using computers from the 1960s

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Animators misc. analysis thread. Lorde
lil sparky
lil sparky
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/6/2013, 1:37 pm
@Leo
Thanks, I'm partially OCD and I just stopped myself short of making to many folders.

@Siegehart
haha, I think thats a burn. I was wondering, would you happen to be the owner of this site?
Face
Face
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 32
Number of posts : 13011
Registration date : 2010-04-29
Location : Returned-ed

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/6/2013, 2:00 pm
@lil sparky wrote: I was wondering, would you happen to be the owner of this site?
LOL!!!!God no. the Owner is..

https://www.thespritas.com/memberlist?mode=lastvisit&order=DESC&submit=Ok&username=eric

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Animators misc. analysis thread. Untitl15
lil sparky
lil sparky
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/6/2013, 2:07 pm
Ok, I saw a post that Siegehart made that indicated he was working on the replacement site, I didn't know what to assume.
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 26
Number of posts : 12925
Registration date : 2008-11-18
Location : On the computer
https://www.youtube.com/user/Granadicohttps://www.twitch.tv/granadico/profile

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/6/2013, 2:30 pm
Nothing against you but it'd be a lot easier to read your posts if you like use paragraphs and spaces and stuff so it's not one huge wall of text. It huts my old granny eyes

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Animators misc. analysis thread. Granadico made by Knux184

We can learn from the past
But those days are gone
We can hope for the future
But there may not be one
-Mike Portnoy "A Change of Seasons"
Face
Face
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 32
Number of posts : 13011
Registration date : 2010-04-29
Location : Returned-ed

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/6/2013, 2:43 pm
Siegehart is A major troll,A douche A racist,And An all around Asshole....that being said He is undisputedly A genius, one of the most honest people on this site, has A good heart (tries very hard to hide it.) And has respectable sense of morals.


___________________________________________________________________________________________

Animators misc. analysis thread. Untitl15
lil sparky
lil sparky
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/6/2013, 4:11 pm
@Granadico
I understand, I was thinking about that when I sent it.

@face
I probably should have taken rank as some sort of hint XD Ill try not to be so gullible from now on.
v2
v2
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 25
Number of posts : 5600
Registration date : 2012-05-17
Location : your girls DMs

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/6/2013, 4:29 pm
im just the liveliest person here nothing special

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Animators misc. analysis thread. Lorde
Leo
Leo
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 24
Number of posts : 9153
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/6/2013, 7:48 pm
no you're not
darkdragon581
darkdragon581
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 26
Number of posts : 2994
Registration date : 2009-12-05
Location : Austin, Minnesota

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/6/2013, 8:55 pm
@Leo wrote:
@lil sparky wrote:I understand where you are coming from, and I agree, I have tried using trace before.  However when I did, I used it to trace everything.  Right now I am just considering to myself the possibility of using it only with characters, as Havoctacious said.  Would you say that even then, it is not worth it?  Right now, I am torn between the decision of using it just for characters, and not using it at all on what I am working on right now, I am thinking about making a test animation just for this.

i wouldn't use it at all. it has no real advantages over the break apart method.

yes there are....breaking apart looks like crap and you get that horrible black outline, i use CS3 so i have no way to delete that, plus vector always looks better quality, no matter what anyone says i stick to it.

btw: i vector damn near everything, except for effects and backgrounds, my computer is 10 years old and on its last leg, and it can still play everything i make without a problem, or a preloader.

My biggest god damn tip that i cannot stress enough for animators is:

Do not rotate your V-cam, i swear to god, it so god damn horrible, and nobody with any experience in film or cinematography would ever do it because of how obnoxious it looks.


Last edited by darkdragon581 on 7/6/2013, 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Face
Face
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 32
Number of posts : 13011
Registration date : 2010-04-29
Location : Returned-ed

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/6/2013, 9:01 pm
...Hater LOL

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Animators misc. analysis thread. Untitl15
Leo
Leo
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 24
Number of posts : 9153
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

Animators misc. analysis thread. Empty Re: Animators misc. analysis thread.

7/6/2013, 9:09 pm
@darkdragon581 wrote:yes there are....breaking apart looks like crap and you get that horrible black outline, i use CS3 so i have no way to delete that, plus vector always looks better quality, no matter what anyone says i stick to it.

i've always used break apart and it looks fine too. no real quality differences from a vectored sprite. i don't know why it doesn't work for you, because i've used CS3 and it has always worked.

@darkdragon581 wrote:btw: i vector damn near everything, except for effects and backgrounds, my computer is 10 years old and on its last leg, and it can still play everything i make without a problem, or a preloader.

thats p cool

@darkdragon581 wrote:Do not rotate your V-cam, i swear to god, it so god damn horrible, and nobody with any experience in film or cinematography would ever do it because of how obnoxious it looks.

i wouldn't say never, but yeah, it doesn't look very good most of the time.
Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum