Go down
TyTasmanianTiger
TyTasmanianTiger
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 22
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2013-06-02
Location : Melbourne, Australia

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/20/2013, 2:22 am
Ohai peeps. 'Tis I who joined this site...some two weeks ago with some need for...advice, should I put it.


I've been thinking of making another sprite fight after my second Flash fight, in which I highly doubt any of you have watched. :L

But seeing a few known guys, say xKAreloadedx on deviantART made me want to grow a spine and improve my fighting skills, albeit I'm more of the comedy type.

Anyhow, I wish to hear some tips, tricks and/or advice from you boys on some ways to make good fights and fight movements, since you don't really expect a girl who just joined a karate session at school to know barely anything about fights.

Oh, and I won't even touch Flash in the next week or so, since school likes to throw assignments at me. Ugh, I have one due tomorrow anyway.

Seriously, I can picture out a fight in my head, I just can't animate it the way my head shows it. >.<

EDIT:
So it looks like practice makes perfect. Oh well, I'll probably will have to find my own path and make a ton of animations until I can properly copypaste the fight from my head into Flash. :/

Thanks for reading!


Last edited by TyTasmanianTiger on 6/20/2013, 6:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Ohai there. I am your average Asian teenager who enjoys talking about random subjects, so if you have anything funny to say, feel free to come and talk to me. Dance
SXR123
SXR123
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 26
Number of posts : 11630
Registration date : 2010-03-07
Location : You know, a place.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Re: Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/20/2013, 8:23 am
Lemme tell you something.

I'm almost positive that more than half of us here have never been in an actual fight. You don't have to know how to fight to make a good sprite fight. But, I can give you a handy tip on making a decent fight.

What I do when i'm stumped on what to do next is I used my hands. I make finger people (yes, this sounds ridiculous but it works for me) and I imagine my two characters as them and well... I have them fight. It sounds stupid but hey, it works for me.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tips on making good sprite fights? Accelerator_signature_by_kyuubi03-d3aqkga

ADOPT A CHAO!!
(figuratively speaking of course)
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 6082
Registration date : 2009-09-07
Location : UK england

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Re: Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/20/2013, 8:24 am
You really don't have to mention you're a girl every single time. We get it. And you're not the first. xD 

The only tip I can give is to go watch more sprite battles. And it only takes practice. 

My old video:




I'm almost positive that more than half of us here have never been in an actual fight.


I've been in plenty. But that does not contribute to making sprite battles. xD Maybe making the sprites.


Last edited by NS01 on 6/20/2013, 8:28 am; edited 2 times in total
SXR123
SXR123
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 26
Number of posts : 11630
Registration date : 2010-03-07
Location : You know, a place.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Re: Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/20/2013, 8:27 am
or do what NS said.

I didn't want you to do what I did anyway, mine's too cool for other people.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tips on making good sprite fights? Accelerator_signature_by_kyuubi03-d3aqkga

ADOPT A CHAO!!
(figuratively speaking of course)
Havoctacious
Havoctacious
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 23
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2012-12-29
Location : Angel Island

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Re: Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/20/2013, 8:34 am
lol I just make it consistent.... this is going to sound childish and nerdy but when ever I make a sprite fight  before I'll usually think about the actually choreography by pretending to be the characters themselves xD. idk why but it helps make the fighting consistent and well thought out for me...  

Just put yourself in the place of the characters and see how the could/would react to certain events

EX: http://havoctation.deviantart.com/art/Metal-Sonic-vs-Sonic-unfinished-3776700

I'm not the best spriter in the world but that should help you get a general idea of my technique

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Rushspeeddemon07/Havoctation

Tips on making good sprite fights? Just_you_and_me_deathstroke_gif_by_xpvtcaboosex-d6hlggs
AlexTGS
AlexTGS
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 24
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2013-05-05

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Re: Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/20/2013, 11:15 am
What SXR said, im a Thai boxer and i suck at animation lol
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 6082
Registration date : 2009-09-07
Location : UK england

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Re: Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/20/2013, 11:56 am
What SXR said, im a Thai boxer and i suck at animation lol

What? Your sprites are awesome. xD

___________________________________________________________________________________________

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata 1959-2015
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 25
Number of posts : 12956
Registration date : 2008-11-18
Location : On the computer
https://www.youtube.com/user/Granadicohttps://www.twitch.tv/granadico/profile

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Re: Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/20/2013, 5:34 pm
If a fight is based off of actual people fighting it'd be a really boring fight

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tips on making good sprite fights? Granadico made by Knux184

We can learn from the past
But those days are gone
We can hope for the future
But there may not be one
-Mike Portnoy "A Change of Seasons"
TyTasmanianTiger
TyTasmanianTiger
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 22
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2013-06-02
Location : Melbourne, Australia

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Re: Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/20/2013, 6:42 pm
@SXR123 wrote:Lemme tell you something.

I'm almost positive that more than half of us here have never been in an actual fight. You don't have to know how to fight to make a good sprite fight. But, I can give you a handy tip on making a decent fight.

What I do when i'm stumped on what to do next is I used my hands. I make finger people (yes, this sounds ridiculous but it works for me) and I imagine my two characters as them and well... I have them fight. It sounds stupid but hey, it works for me.
Brain can't put out the fight properly.
Doesn't sound wierd nor stupid to me, I might try that out. :)


@NS01 wrote:You really don't have to mention you're a girl every single time. We get it. And you're not the first. xD 

The only tip I can give is to go watch more sprite battles. And it only takes practice. 

My old video:




I'm almost positive that more than half of us here have never been in an actual fight.


I've been in plenty. But that does not contribute to making sprite battles. xD Maybe making the sprites.
My way of introducing myself, derp.
I've watched like one hundred already, downloaded tons of Flash sprite fights and I still can't interpret their fights into my way without "plagiarising" them. :L

Ugh, school proxy blocks out YouTube clips. Will watch at home (which is like in 6 hours).


@Havoctacious wrote:lol I just make it consistent.... this is going to sound childish and nerdy but when ever I make a sprite fight  before I'll usually think about the actually choreography by pretending to be the characters themselves xD. idk why but it helps make the fighting consistent and well thought out for me...  

Just put yourself in the place of the characters and see how the could/would react to certain events

EX: http://havoctation.deviantart.com/art/Metal-Sonic-vs-Sonic-unfinished-3776700

I'm not the best spriter in the world but that should help you get a general idea of my technique
Hey, that ain't bad, lol. I tend to go stupid and think of alternatives to solutions, just to make sure, like writing a plan before writing out an essay.

Yep, I can do that. :)


@AlexTGS wrote:What SXR said, im a Thai boxer and i suck at animation lol
I'm a Viet and I can't box fight, lol.


@Granadico wrote:If a fight is based off of actual people fighting it'd be a really boring fight

Evidently.
Leo
Leo
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 23
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Re: Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/21/2013, 7:12 am
sometimes i did what sxr said, but it was when i was 11 or something lmao

one problem when trying to figure it out in your head is that everything looks awesome in your head. everything is perfectly animated and whatnot. however, your skill may be radically different from what you see in your imagination, and that's why you cannot transfer your fights properly from mind to flash/whatever the hell else you use to animate. in fact, what you make almost always never matches up to what you had in mind.

that being said sometimes i would storyboard my fights so that i knew what i needed to do now and what i would need to do later (although i started doing this rather late). they don't need to be anything fancy, even stick figures work as long as you can tell clearly what's going on. not sure if this helps but it doesn't hurt to try.

i wish i could say more but i forgot about everything i know since i haven't made a sprite animation for way too long
SXR123
SXR123
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 26
Number of posts : 11630
Registration date : 2010-03-07
Location : You know, a place.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Re: Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/21/2013, 8:19 am
@Leo wrote:
Code:
Sometimes I did what sxr said, but it was only when I was 11 or something lmao

know what leo? yer a butt.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tips on making good sprite fights? Accelerator_signature_by_kyuubi03-d3aqkga

ADOPT A CHAO!!
(figuratively speaking of course)
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 6082
Registration date : 2009-09-07
Location : UK england

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Re: Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/21/2013, 8:32 am
My way of introducing myself, derp.

Well stahp, herp.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata 1959-2015
Guilty Gear Soldier
Guilty Gear Soldier
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 24
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-06-19

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Re: Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/21/2013, 11:02 am
Hmm I say it depends all on your creativity so I suggest watch anime fights, other animators, right done your ideas or even storyboard your stuff it takes time so don't rush just relax and ideas should just come naturally all depends on what you want exactly.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tips on making good sprite fights? Guiltyssig
Don't animate to get popular and fame, do it because you like doing it.

SXR's words of truth.
TyTasmanianTiger
TyTasmanianTiger
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 22
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2013-06-02
Location : Melbourne, Australia

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Re: Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/21/2013, 6:57 pm
@Leo wrote:sometimes i did what sxr said, but it was when i was 11 or something lmao

one problem when trying to figure it out in your head is that everything looks awesome in your head. everything is perfectly animated and whatnot. however, your skill may be radically different from what you see in your imagination, and that's why you cannot transfer your fights properly from mind to flash/whatever the hell else you use to animate. in fact, what you make almost always never matches up to what you had in mind.

that being said sometimes i would storyboard my fights so that i knew what i needed to do now and what i would need to do later (although i started doing this rather late). they don't need to be anything fancy, even stick figures work as long as you can tell clearly what's going on. not sure if this helps but it doesn't hurt to try.

i wish i could say more but i forgot about everything i know since i haven't made a sprite animation for way too long

Storyboard. STORYBOARD. STORYBOARD!

You've earned a medal. *gives you a fake Medal of Honour*
@SXR123 wrote:
@Leo wrote:
Code:
Sometimes I did what sxr said, but it was only when I was 11 or something lmao

know what leo? yer a butt.

People. Please.

@NS01 wrote:
My way of introducing myself, derp.

Well stahp, herp.

*facepalm*

@Guilty Gear Soldier wrote:Hmm I say it depends all on your creativity so I suggest watch anime fights, other animators, right done your ideas or even storyboard your stuff it takes time so don't rush just relax and ideas should just come naturally all depends on what you want exactly.

Yep, I gotcha. Since I'm a patient person, it won't hurt to plan it out. :)

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Ohai there. I am your average Asian teenager who enjoys talking about random subjects, so if you have anything funny to say, feel free to come and talk to me. Dance
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 6082
Registration date : 2009-09-07
Location : UK england

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Re: Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/22/2013, 3:49 am
When are you considering to make the sprite fight? Post it on the WIP section and we could give you pointers and critique.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata 1959-2015
TyTasmanianTiger
TyTasmanianTiger
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 22
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2013-06-02
Location : Melbourne, Australia

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Re: Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/22/2013, 6:29 am
@NS01 wrote:When are you considering to make the sprite fight? Post it on the WIP section and we could give you pointers and critique.
I stated it in the post.

It won't be until...like two weeks due to schoolwork.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Ohai there. I am your average Asian teenager who enjoys talking about random subjects, so if you have anything funny to say, feel free to come and talk to me. Dance
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 6082
Registration date : 2009-09-07
Location : UK england

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Re: Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/22/2013, 6:56 am
Oh, baha. Have fun.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata 1959-2015
YoshiSonic
YoshiSonic
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 22
Number of posts : 1302
Registration date : 2010-11-05
Location : Earth

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Re: Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/22/2013, 11:57 am
Well, I'm a bit more imaginative then everyone might think. You have to enter the character's minds, see what they'd do when they are in a fight, maybe two fan characters or something..I already have about 6 sprite fights in my head the haven't been started because of all the buzz of E3 in my other forum. Then you need to create a story board, meaning, how they would start to be fighting maybe your like me and just start the video with them just going at it, which still causes the same action, or you can create some dialog with the two or more characters, add some "funnies" in their and start it. Keep in mind when in the fight still keep in mind the characters traits and tactics so, to the viewer, it can seem like this would be a real lively battle, unless your on the comedic/funny side like Squirrelkid then you can use that to make the battle better then it could be. I use Sxr's method also, and I make up the battle while I go if I haven't thought about before hand. I'm sure you will have your method to. (Only completed one sprite video though, lol..)

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tips on making good sprite fights? Dancing-happy-yoshi Tips on making good sprite fights? 259ab217
TyTasmanianTiger
TyTasmanianTiger
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 22
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2013-06-02
Location : Melbourne, Australia

Tips on making good sprite fights? Empty Re: Tips on making good sprite fights?

on 6/22/2013, 5:57 pm
@YoshiSonic wrote:Well, I'm a bit more imaginative then everyone might think. You have to enter the character's minds, see what they'd do when they are in a fight, maybe two fan characters or something..I already have about 6 sprite fights in my head the haven't been started because of all the buzz of E3 in my other forum. Then you need to create a story board, meaning, how they would start to be fighting maybe your like me and just start the video with them just going at it, which still causes the same action, or you can create some dialog with the two or more characters, add some "funnies" in their and start it. Keep in mind when in the fight still keep in mind the characters traits and tactics so, to the viewer, it can seem like this would be a real lively battle, unless your on the comedic/funny side like Squirrelkid then you can use that to make the battle better then it could be. I use Sxr's method also, and I make up the battle while I go if I haven't thought about before hand. I'm sure you will have your method to. (Only completed one sprite video though, lol..)

Gotcha, I'll keep word of what you stated. :)

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Ohai there. I am your average Asian teenager who enjoys talking about random subjects, so if you have anything funny to say, feel free to come and talk to me. Dance
Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum