well, finishing collabs (and animations in general) would be a nice start c:
SXR123
SXR123
Number of posts : 11630
Registration date : 2010-03-07
https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

A question for The Spritas - Page 2 Empty Re: A question for The Spritas

on 4/23/2013, 7:56 am
@Leo wrote:well, finishing collabs (and animations in general) would be a nice start c:

A question for The Spritas - Page 2 Scruffy_second

___________________________________________________________________________________________

A question for The Spritas - Page 2 Accelerator_signature_by_kyuubi03-d3aqkga

ADOPT A CHAO!!
(figuratively speaking of course)
Mistah_Jayden
Mistah_Jayden
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2009-04-06

on 4/23/2013, 9:54 am
@Leo wrote:well, finishing animations in general

YUS! I neeed to do this!

But uh, posting more actual comments even if the animation sucks monkey balls.
Changing this damn ugly blue/red and that banner that's been there for god knows how long.

and advertise!!!

The preloader...we need a new one T.T

___________________________________________________________________________________________

A question for The Spritas - Page 2 Siglookingassnigga
Rapidfir3Pho3nix
Rapidfir3Pho3nix
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 4902
Registration date : 2009-01-23
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0ntn5nE-2rEXLA8GQ7mtsAhttps://rapidfir3pho3nix.deviantart.com/https://discordapp.com/channels/142444698311589888/142444698311589888https://twitter.com/rapidfir3animshttps://www.facebook.com/Rapidfir3Pho3nix/https://www.twitch.tv/rapidfir3pho3nix

on 4/23/2013, 11:25 am
@Mistah_Jayden wrote:

YUS! I neeed to do this!

Changing this damn ugly blue/red and that banner that's been there for god knows how long.

and advertise!!!

We have a new preloader in he works. Same thing with the banner. Joey and Patt are working extra hard to move this place forward. But yes, finishing animations/collabs is probably the biggest problem... Also, what do you think about the resource section? I think one major problem here is that although we bring in some newcomers with "Yeah we have some effects and shit in the resource section so post 100 times." Then they reach 100 posts and there ain't shit they can get. It's terrible.
v2
v2
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 5600
Registration date : 2012-05-17

on 4/23/2013, 11:40 am
Jayden the theme isn't blue/red anymore

http://thespritas.com/h2-themes

A question for The Spritas - Page 2 Lorde
v2
v2
Administrator
Administrator

on 4/23/2013, 11:41 am
And rapid it's 25 posts not 100

Face
Face
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 13013
Registration date : 2010-04-29

on 4/23/2013, 12:52 pm
@Rapidfir3Pho3nix wrote:

We have a new preloader in he works. Same thing with the banner. Joey and Patt are working extra hard to move this place forward. But yes, finishing animations/collabs is probably the biggest problem... Also, what do you think about the resource section? I think one major problem here is that although we bring in some newcomers with "Yeah we have some effects and shit in the resource section so post 100 times." Then they reach 100 posts and there ain't shit they can get. It's terrible.

but hell we have many members here that have Outstanding effects/bg's/sounds/ but keep them to themselves. only showing them in a preview of animations.They don't want to share em because of some bullshit of "well if everyone have em then they wont be as good" or some shit like that.As A conmmunity we are surpose to share....but not everyone is like that!

A question for The Spritas - Page 2 Untitl15
Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 13141
Registration date : 2009-03-28

on 4/23/2013, 1:02 pm
This question is exactly why I'm trying my best to expand the site to it's full potential.

I've always asked, what do we have that would benefit someone else? All we really do that's... 'useful' really is give sprites/sounds/effects. Sad thing is, anyone could find any of that.

What should really be going on is, people submitting their work, getting real constructive feedback so everyone can get better. That's what I want The Spritas to represent. Not just a bunch of lazy guys who animate. But that's hard to do. I don't know how else to help you guys out, but I'm trying. Joey and I are making a redesign, we are also working on another redesign, while working on this one. But is this stuff even going to be used? Will you guys actually use the animation portal? Audio portal? Otherwise, why are should Joey and I bother with it?

I don't know man.

Just don't know.

A question for The Spritas - Page 2 Purple11

[The Return]
Knux
Knux
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 2829
Registration date : 2010-02-17

on 4/23/2013, 1:24 pm
One of the problems might be that the site only appeals to one very specific thing.
At this point its probably impossible to get more diversity, like more people making art and music, but I'm sure it would draw more people in. The community needs more than just sprite animators.
Leo
Leo
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23

on 4/23/2013, 1:46 pm
@Knux wrote:One of the problems might be that the site only appeals to one very specific thing.
At this point its probably impossible to get more diversity, like more people making art and music, but I'm sure it would draw more people in. The community needs more than just sprite animators.

yeah, but with a name like the spritas i don't think that's going to change any soon.
YoshiSonic
YoshiSonic
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 1302
Registration date : 2010-11-05

on 4/23/2013, 2:01 pm
The real problem in the resource tab is that all of you submitted the resources in that same dang site that only allows them to be downloadable in a short period of time, now most of the links are useless.

We need to contact the op's and other spriters to re post or just post their resources (even if it just links to sounds, sprite sheets, and backgrounds) back to the resources section with a trustworthy upload site. After sometime our resources can be the biggest and the best. I've helped countless newcomers with resources and flash obtainment in the past in pm's. Seriously we need to at least try. At least someone with great knowledge find us a good upload site.

A question for The Spritas - Page 2 Dancing-happy-yoshi A question for The Spritas - Page 2 259ab217
Knux
Knux
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 2829
Registration date : 2010-02-17

on 4/23/2013, 2:34 pm
@Leo wrote:
@Knux wrote:One of the problems might be that the site only appeals to one very specific thing.

yeah, but with a name like the spritas i don't think that's going to change any soon.
Pretty much

@YoshiSonic wrote:The real problem in the resource tab is that all of you submitted the resources in that same dang site that only allows them to be downloadable in a short period of time, now most of the links are useless.

We need to contact the op's and other spriters to re post or just post their resources (even if it just links to sounds, sprite sheets, and backgrounds) back to the resources section with a trustworthy upload site. After sometime our resources can be the biggest and the best. I've helped countless newcomers with resources and flash obtainment in the past in pm's. Seriously we need to at least try. At least someone with great knowledge find us a good upload site.
Well even if everyone did that (which I doubt a lot of people would) we still wouldn't have that many resources.
RnR
RnR
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2011-08-12

on 4/23/2013, 2:57 pm
So this begs the question; how can you guys turn the Spritas around? How can you reshape it into an actual community?

A question for The Spritas - Page 2 Rri62p
Saul
Saul
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 2676
Registration date : 2012-02-04

on 4/23/2013, 5:14 pm
^ In my opinion we should make a lot of cool stuff, use TheSpritas Preloader, announce the site in our YT and NG channels, make tons of different collabs (and finish them, obviously) with a lot of members, and basically show people that here is where they need to go when they want to learn how to animate and/or need help and good reviews.
Also, the Redesign will apport fresh air being more intuitive and having more interesting things than the actual(not so actual) one like the animations or the audio gallery.

A question for The Spritas - Page 2 Tumblr_n3ks24gVXv1rydwbvo1_500A question for The Spritas - Page 2 CmHNDLR
v2
v2
Administrator
Administrator

on 4/23/2013, 5:30 pm
@RnR wrote:So this begs the question; how can you guys turn the Spritas around? How can you reshape it into an actual community?
Ask not what the community can do for you, ask what you can do for the community.
http://thespritas.herobo.com/gallery
http://thespritas.herobo.com/audio

RnR
RnR
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2011-08-12

on 4/23/2013, 6:10 pm
Sieghart wrote:Ask not what the community can do for you, ask what you can do for the community.
Joey, you and I both know that I'm no more a "Sprita" than an hobo in the Bronx is a new yorker. I haven't made an animation in months(due to reasons...shut up). The most I could offer this site is some design assistance.

A question for The Spritas - Page 2 Rri62p
SXR123
SXR123

on 4/23/2013, 7:19 pm
you need not make an animation to be a Spritan.

You contributing is more than enough for you to be one, then again, you ARE still apart of the community so... that counts too.

ADOPT A CHAO!!
Toxic
Toxic
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 5139
Registration date : 2010-10-03

on 4/23/2013, 8:08 pm
@RnR wrote:
Joey, you and I both know that I'm no more a "Sprita" than an hobo in the Bronx is a new yorker.

I see you repping the bronx....

I think we need more smaller collabs to happen in the site. It's quite obvious that when we have collabs with 10 or more people barley any progress is made. If we had multiple collabs from a group of 5 people we can be producing more content. As well as better quality animations.
Mistah_Jayden
Mistah_Jayden
Spritan
Spritan

on 4/23/2013, 11:31 pm
@Rapidfir3Pho3nix wrote:
@Mistah_Jayden wrote:

YUS! I neeed to do this!

and advertise!!!

It's only AS2..If you're gonna make a preloader it has to be AS3 as well. I think we should help them out. I'm barely around but I'll try.

Resources is one thing, but relying on them is very bad. It would only motivate them to post to leech. At the same time it'll higher the rates of them permanently staying.

Sieghart wrote:Jayden the theme isn't blue/red anymore

https://www.thespritas.com/h2-themes

Wooot! It looks awesome but some of the things remain, blue like the adds or the donate button. If you want I'll try a make a mock up of a skin for you to help out.

In fact, do you like this domain? I tried SMS as you said and we love it there.

That's actually quite irrelevant, because there are websites that are even less specific and still have good traffic. Aside from that people do draw, it's just the community NEEDS to pay more attention to it.

v2
v2
Administrator
Administrator

on 4/23/2013, 11:45 pm
@Mistah_Jayden wrote:Wooot! It looks awesome but some of the things remain, blue like the adds or the donate button. If you want I'll try a make a mock up of a skin for you to help out.
That'd be great, the more themes the merrier.
@Mistah_Jayden wrote:In fact, do you like this domain? I tried SMS as you said and we love it there.
Lol, don't you remember?
I'm making a completely new portal from scratch.
http://thespritas.herobo.com/
It's going to be done and officially open at the start of my summer vacation (aka the 1st of June), replacing this domain completely.
Not only that, but I'm nearly confident the forums are better and far more convienent than that of SMS

Mistah_Jayden
Mistah_Jayden
Spritan
Spritan

on 4/23/2013, 11:50 pm
Alright. Well I'ma start with a banner and do the portal too.

Yeow95
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2013-01-20

on 4/24/2013, 3:15 pm
@Patt wrote:This question is exactly why I'm trying my best to expand the site to it's full potential.

I've always asked, what do we have that would benefit someone else? All we really do that's... 'useful' really is give sprites/sounds/effects.

Don't forget about the tutorials, albeit there aren't many entries in that section in particular.
v2
v2
Administrator
Administrator

on 4/28/2013, 2:48 am
Okay, I decided I want to actually give my view on this, even though I wanted to keep my views on this more reserved.

@5h0ck wrote:I wouldn't say its dying, more like its scattered, distant, ununited. sure the well known guys have disapeared 1 by 1 but they weren't the majority of the community.
This guy is actually correct here.
There are a bunch of spriters as well, there's a large amount of people that sprite kirby, sonic, and other fan characters around, there's the maple spriters, and then there's us.
Most of us are somewhat...divided by those categories.
Our goal as Spritans should not be to keep the boundaries of those communities, but to help break them down.
We do a pisspoor job of that, what with the lolsonicfcsgoawayqueer, or the lolmaplebad (which I'm guilty of myself, but I do it jokingly and will cease doing it pretty soon as well).
If you want those guys to blend here, you might want to stop making this somewhat negative connotative perspective of them around here.

@5h0ck wrote:most remaining animators are either too busy with real life, lack experience, or just keep to theirselves.
Lacking experience is not a problem, and I honestly hate people who say it is.
This place here is to GROW as a sprite animator.
That's why I enjoy seeing bad animations, it shows that you have a long way to go, and a long journey with us, The Spritas.
What's the fun in seeing this professional animator who's already really good and has little room to improve from our perspectives?
But, this also brings me to the next thing I wanted to discuss...

@Toxic wrote:The Spritas is a safe heaven for sprite animators not to be made fun of or shunned. It's a place where we as a community can show our animations to get a honest critic. Instead of the bullshit reviews newgrounds provides.
I also hate this view as well.
We try to convey this false view of "professionalism", come here so you can improve, or come here so you can get honest critique!
Yes, helping people improve and giving honest critique should be one goal of our site, but it shouldn't be job to help you get better.
You people treat The Spritas like it's a business, I personally feel like it should be more of a social environment.
Sprite animating/Spriting is a hobby for most of us, why do we have to keep such a pretentious view of professionalism?
There's nothing wrong with a simple "lol this was cool" or "wow, this was really fun to watch"

tl;dr :
This site should be for entertainment purposes, not to convey sprite animation as if it were a business.
@Leo wrote:the resource section doesn't have a lot of stuff actually.
Yes it does, actually.
A lot of the stuff is scattered throughout it and very disorganized (which I hope to do a rework of the resource section for the portal so it can be easier to avert this problem)
@Leo wrote:at least it's not decompiled crap.
Again, this is another discriminatory view we hold (like against sonic fcs or maplers) that in my opinion should go away.

@Mistah_Jayden wrote:On top of that, SPRITE animations require SPRITING. That sprite section is like a dead lady's cooch. Filled with spiderwebs. It's bad. Then to be discouraged with "limitations" and "sprites have no flexiablity" is pure bullshit. Try making a hand drawn animation without knowing how to draw. Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaame thing.
This was a problem that was around from the very beginning, if you ask me.
The spot-light here was placed mainly on animations (just look, there's an entire section for Animations V.S. the small category for sprites).
I'm hoping to re-work this spot-light by making the gallery from the portal encompass sprites and put a decent spot-light on them.

@Mistah_Jayden wrote:I was the one that asked SXR that question he's asking you guys
Plot-twist.

@Mistah_Jayden wrote:They see something good like Lange or Alvin and they change their mind.
This is also a problem that needs fixing as well.
We do not have enough inspirational animators here.
We had Shuhan, Eric, DarkZero, and Lange, all of which are now incredibly inactive.
What we need is some sort of new inspirational animator to help give members and non-members alike inspiration.

@Mistah_Jayden wrote:Yeah going off topic is hilarious, but not when someone wants feedback. Usually those off topic conversations last like a page or 2 which shouldn't be. Rules should be enforced, because then what purpose should this site have mods at all? Not strict as in super up asshole type strict, but there needs to be something..

Most new members that come here barely pass 5 posts...
People are only loosely following rules for now because we're leaving for another site soon, in my opinion anyways.

@RnR wrote:Joey, you and I both know that I'm no more a "Sprita" than an hobo in the Bronx is a new yorker. I haven't made an animation in months(due to reasons...shut up). The most I could offer this site is some design assistance.
This is also another bad view I hate seeing.
RnR, you're an AMAZING spriter, and yet you feel as if you cannot be considered a Spritan because you do not animate?
That's a terrible view to hold.
You could actually make other spriters grow and progress with their talents, just as how we do with our animations.

Not only that, you don't even have to move the site forward in some way with content, you can simple just be active, and help get other people to the site.

Another thing I feel should be addressed:
YOU'RE ALL TOO FUCKING HOSTILE
A lot of you are undisciplined and just plain and simply put: lazy.

Also, if you have the time to mourn over how bad the spritas has become, you have the time to go and try and make it an ideal place.
Stop crying over spilt milk, and clean it up.
Face
Face
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 13013
Registration date : 2010-04-29

on 4/28/2013, 7:10 am
Damn....I Agree with everything that little bastard wrote...

A question for The Spritas - Page 2 Untitl15
SXR123
SXR123

on 4/28/2013, 9:46 am
Joey... that... that was beautiful

A question for The Spritas - Page 2 Tobeho10

ADOPT A CHAO!!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum