Go down
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 20161
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Is Newgrounds Dying? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Newgrounds Dying?

on 3/27/2013, 1:02 am
^ Lol, so, perfect opportunity to give a huge audience a good piece of what Spritas is all about?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Is Newgrounds Dying? - Page 2 Ping10
@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
5h0ck
5h0ck
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 7620
Registration date : 2010-09-08
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJMXtpQUTAA2kNWj_dwWnAhttps://twitter.com/abxelic

on 3/27/2013, 5:21 pm
yes, essentially. thats precisely what i mean

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Is Newgrounds Dying? - Page 2 Ichigo10
Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 13141
Registration date : 2009-03-28

on 3/28/2013, 6:21 pm
I'm sorry, but I was too lazy to read all the posts but I have answers to all your questions.

When we were all younger, like 11-12, we all used to admire sprite animations. When I saw YuuMon's Naruto vs. One Piece, I was amazed. Then I found out there are even better animations, like SMBZ, then there was D-SuN's Power Star series, then there's Proxicide and his MK vs. SF series, then there's Lange, and my eyes just kept getting wider, and wider. But, this was forever ago, a very, very lonely world. There weren't many sprite animators, and if they were, we were too scared to upload our work because it was crap.

Sprite animating was ruled by Alvin, and he did a lot for the sprite community. However, everything he did to support our work, also started it give it the edge of soon disaster. While sprite animating to us, may seem to be difficult, still challenging, and fun, you have to come to admit, it's not much. From a former sprite animator himself, and one that you guys think is pretty good, I will say right now, I only see sprite animations as what they are. Sprite animations. Actually, it disgusts me to see any sprite animations on Newgrounds. Newgrounds is for serious work, or at least, that's what it was for back when I was coming up.

Looking back, the only people that were really, 'willing' to help around were Eric, and DZ. I mean, I have spoken to Proxicide, EJR, and once to D-SuN, and even once to Crazyeight, but they weren't really into helping as much as Eric and DZ were. Moreso Eric. I mean, I spoke to Lange way back when, probably back in like '08, maybe even '07, and that's when my sprite animating abilities really grew, as well as others.

Today, the only difference is this. There is just such a large abundance of sprite animating, no one knows anything. There are so many different levels of greatness. The styles are different, the animating is different, everything is just so different, it's overwhelming. Back then, SMBZ was just fast paced, background scrolling, nonstop action. Power Star was deep, complex, dark violence. MK vs. SF evolved from very nice gameplay simulating animation, to overwhelming, and I mean, insanely overwhelmingly intense choreography, visuals, sounds, everything. It all started somewhere.

Now, we have so many different tiers of animators. It's hard to pinpoint where greatness is. And that's not just sprite animating, that's all animating.

This brings me to my point of not liking sprite animations on Newgrounds for one reason. Let's be frank, sprite animation does not require too much effort. We are already given the art. We are already given the sounds, and the music. Seriously, all we have to do is the actual animating. Other animators, and very dedicated animators, will draw their own characters, make their own sounds, and make their own music. That's true animating, that's true art, and something to really be in awe of.

This ties back into why Newgrounds is 'dying'. Newgrounds is just growing and growing, and the population is becoming denser and more subdivided, limiting the newer users to really have much say as to what the mid day users are trying to do, and even in comparison to the old timers. Also, there's this new weird system Newgrounds is going with, which is apparently making it 'easier'. I don't really know, but it's not really 'dying', just, animations are improving, and newer guys think crappier animations aren't that bad either.

tl;dr: sprite animations aren't as great as they used to be, and there's no excuse for it. Newgrounds isn't dying, just getting more dense.

Is Newgrounds Dying? - Page 2 Purple11

[The Return]
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 20161
Registration date : 2010-09-15

on 3/28/2013, 9:47 pm
But, as for us, we still enjoy doing it. It's amazing how some of us are still going at it after these years. For me, it'll always be a hobby I'll take seriously.

Is Newgrounds Dying? - Page 2 Ping10
@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
Face
Face
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 13013
Registration date : 2010-04-29

on 3/28/2013, 10:50 pm
*Looks at patt post*.....I aint reading that fuck it

Is Newgrounds Dying? - Page 2 Untitl15
5h0ck
5h0ck
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 7620
Registration date : 2010-09-08
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJMXtpQUTAA2kNWj_dwWnAhttps://twitter.com/abxelic

on 3/28/2013, 11:26 pm
lol thats what i said...but then i did it anyway.

Is Newgrounds Dying? - Page 2 Ichigo10
Tal
Tal
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 3972
Registration date : 2011-08-20

on 3/28/2013, 11:42 pm
i totally agree with every word you said patt.

"Interesting sig text"

Is Newgrounds Dying? - Page 2 Youtub10
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum