Go down
Tal
Tal
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 3972
Registration date : 2011-08-20

Is Newgrounds Dying? Empty Is Newgrounds Dying?

on 3/24/2013, 7:43 am
I just opened a new account there a couple days ago, and i noticed that underjudgment movies, are almost never getting blammed because of terrible reviews by the community..
and that much less submissions are getting submitted everyday.

so what do you guys think? is newgrounds dying? or is it already dead?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

"Interesting sig text"

Is Newgrounds Dying? Youtub10
BlitznBurst
BlitznBurst
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 4898
Registration date : 2011-01-15

Is Newgrounds Dying? Empty Re: Is Newgrounds Dying?

on 3/24/2013, 7:48 am
Your sig is stretching the page.

Stop it now.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Is Newgrounds Dying? UZ3PNb5
Toxic
Toxic
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 5139
Registration date : 2010-10-03

on 3/24/2013, 8:35 am
@Tal wrote:I just opened a new account there a couple days ago, and i noticed that underjudgment movies, are almost never getting blammed because of terrible reviews by the community..

For me I can't speak so much for the flash portal

but on the audio portal it seems very alive.

Ironically the community seems to be way nicer than the flash side and I'm enjoying every second of it.
BlitznBurst
BlitznBurst
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/24/2013, 8:37 am
@Toxic wrote:
@Tal wrote:I just opened a new account there a couple days ago, and i noticed that underjudgment movies, are almost never getting blammed because of terrible reviews by the community..

Ironically the community seems to be way nicer than the flash side and I'm enjoying every second of it.

Who the fuck goes to Newgrounds expecting nice people.

That's the exact opposite of what Newgrounds is.

Tal
Tal
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/24/2013, 11:02 am
@Toxic wrote:

yeah when i upload there i actually get good replys.

"Interesting sig text"

Knux
Knux
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 2829
Registration date : 2010-02-17

on 3/24/2013, 12:04 pm
I don't really go there anymore unless I have to.
So I don't know.
v2
v2
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 5600
Registration date : 2012-05-17

on 3/24/2013, 3:19 pm
180 gb jesus christ

Is Newgrounds Dying? Lorde
Tal
Tal
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/24/2013, 3:22 pm
i love how everyone comments on my sig.

"Interesting sig text"

Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 20161
Registration date : 2010-09-15

on 3/24/2013, 5:53 pm
You kidding me? Newgrounds is still going strong.

Is Newgrounds Dying? Ping10
@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
5h0ck
5h0ck
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 7620
Registration date : 2010-09-08
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJMXtpQUTAA2kNWj_dwWnAhttps://twitter.com/abxelic

on 3/24/2013, 7:09 pm
@Tal wrote:underjudgment movies, are almost never getting blammed

how is this bad?

anyways it could just be that the haters are finnally leaving, wich is very good

Is Newgrounds Dying? Ichigo10
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/24/2013, 10:56 pm
That lasted forever. No one had a legit review unless the Flash was remarkably worth praising.

@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
Rapidfir3Pho3nix
Rapidfir3Pho3nix
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 4902
Registration date : 2009-01-23
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0ntn5nE-2rEXLA8GQ7mtsAhttps://rapidfir3pho3nix.deviantart.com/https://discordapp.com/channels/142444698311589888/142444698311589888https://twitter.com/rapidfir3animshttps://www.facebook.com/Rapidfir3Pho3nix/https://www.twitch.tv/rapidfir3pho3nix

on 3/24/2013, 11:36 pm
...Something just occurred to me because of this and it's slightly off-topic and on-topic so bear with me a little.

Think back to when you first found the art of sprite animation and think about where you found it. Was it here at theSpritas? Likely not...chances are you seen your first sprite animation video somewhere else via Newgrounds, DeviantArt, or YouTube... So how come we aren't helping each other become better sprite animators and encouraging each other to upload to these websites in order to inspire a new generation of sprite animators so that they can continue in our footsteps? We're all concerned about how we look individually instead of how we look as a group; and that isn't getting us anywhere. Yes, individual progress is very important, but what about our progress as a group or better-yet as a community? We have plenty of great animators besides Eric or Mr. Lange that can contribute GREAT work to the community and inspire so why don't we?
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/25/2013, 1:16 am
*sigh*
Ok.
ok.. I doubt you'll read my input- I base that from previous posts,
but what the hell.

Patt and I are working on that now.

And if you personally want to read my opinion on that
-chances are you won't cause it's coming from me D:
Well, Sprite Animation is a lovely art. We all love it. That's a huge common ground here. When we think of what we want to do with it, we form all these ambitions, like making an awesome series, or a collaboration, or a movie. As a community, we share those views and work together to make it happen. For a couple of years now, though, that hasn't happened. Sprite animation nowadays seems like a far fetch dream here in this community when it comes to collaborating or making a good one. And I mean, good.

When you brought up Eric and Lange, that brought me to think about what they're doing. Did you think about it? What they're doing is 3D. They've don't sprite animate much like we do anymore, simply because they know they can reach greater feats with programs such as After Effects and Blender. Hey, you can even say Lange doesn't do much of sprite animation because he's doing a animation outside of that art. You can say, from our view, that the inspiration they're given us is to work outside of Flash for sprite animations (or general animation, if you'd like to say that). Yet, we're people who have a passion for sprites. So, what does their animating everything differently now have to do with us?

The thing is, you don't have to go far as to open up After Effects to make a good sprite animation. Traditional animators stick with their program and creative everything from ground up. They don't get an easy access of some schtick that makes things less painful for them. They work harder to achieve greatness. And it's more satisfying. Paint (also Paint.net), Photoshop, or Fireworks, and Flash is all you need to make original stuff; a BG, custom sprites, original sprites. Things like that of which you can truly be proud of in a sprite animation, and to enjoy looking at. That is also what I'm trying to encourage here; to take sprite animating up to another level instead of leaving it like it is now. It could be the next thing in this community.

With that said, I'm a firm sprite-animation believer. Sprite animating is still strong. We all acknowledge how beautiful it is. You've got people like Patt who feel the exact same way, which is why we both would like to work as a community and take sprite animating way up to where it should be. Not only that, but work with other people who have a mutual perspective on this.

Rapid, I know you've touched on this subject plenty of time. But we ask you to wait until the day comes. It's not too far, either. Please be patient!

Tal
Tal
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/25/2013, 4:07 am
well first of all, i didn't really meant about..are sprites dying on newgrounds.
i mean newgrounds in general, and don't get it wrong it's awesome that haters have left and now your animations almost always get good scores...but it ruins the fun the challenge..
shitty animations win awards...the community's reviews are terrible and overall...it has become a place where you can't hear constructive criticism anymore.

about sprites, me personally...i mean there aren't much like these anymore..that sprite animate..
and when i learn how to draw more decently, i am probably going to move to drawn animations. i really think that if this community wants to make sprites live even in 2020 and such..the same old ideas must "disappear".
the thing the most worries me is that animations overall today on the outside world on cinema and theaters are ONLY 3D childish animations with an expected story and with no real meaning anymore, wouldn't it be just great to put our own stories in the theater?

"Interesting sig text"

Leo
Leo
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23

on 3/25/2013, 7:10 am
on the sprites thing:
as i have told some people, sprite animation won't last forever. at least not with copyrighted sprites. if you want some form of respect you'll have to do them yourself, otherwise everyone will just bash you and call you a thief for using copyrighted stuff.
you can still do what you're doing, but don't expect other people to like it. do it for your own pleasure.

imo, sprite animation is dying and i don't know if it will eventually die (who knows? maybe something would happen and it would get strong once again), but it's in a very bad state right now.
you guys can change that, and hopefully you will, but i don't know.
BlitznBurst
BlitznBurst
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/25/2013, 11:22 am
Sprite animation is dying. As far as most of the internet is concerned, we're pretty much the butt monkeys of animation. We aren't a big site like Newgrounds or Fluidanims, we're a small community trying to encourage people to try their best and have fun.

Double0Epic
Double0Epic
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2012-12-27

on 3/25/2013, 12:32 pm
Actually Fluidanims merged with stickpage. I know cause i used to be a member, hence why I animate sticks. I don't know why i don't have an account on stickpage yet but yeah. stuff happens. Actually now that I think about it I might make that battleaxe my RHG's weapon.
anyways i think newgrounds is still going strong. sprite animation however... not so much.
I'll contribute how i can when I get a computer that accepts this flash drive or whenever i get a chance to animate at school, but for now I'm a stick animator.

I'm not saying I hate you, but if you were set ablaze and I had a bucket of water, I'd probably drink it.
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/25/2013, 1:50 pm
Anyone can agree that Sprite Animation isn't what it used to be anymore. Like Leo said, we'll have to do them yourself for things to change up; hence what I said. I'm going to do my best to make sure there will be a different way of sprite animating, and not use copyright ones or any "old ideas", as Tal said. There's going to be a game changer.

@Tal wrote:well first of all, i didn't really meant about..are sprites dying on newgrounds.
i mean newgrounds in general, and don't get it wrong it's awesome that haters have left and now your animations almost always get good scores...but it ruins the fun the challenge..
shitty animations win awards...the community's reviews are terrible and overall...it has become a place where you can't hear constructive criticism anymore.

about sprites, me personally...i mean there aren't much like these anymore..that sprite animate..
and when i learn how to draw more decently, i am probably going to move to drawn animations. i really think that if this community wants to make sprites live even in 2020 and such..the same old ideas must "disappear".
the thing the most worries me is that animations overall today on the outside world on cinema and theaters are ONLY 3D childish animations with an expected story and with no real meaning anymore, wouldn't it be just great to put our own stories in the theater?
I can see why you'd feel like that. With drawn animation, you can do whatever you want. I'm still animating sprites. I'll make custom sprites so that what I want in my Flash is right there, and not do some trick with bad poses.
Blitz n' Burst wrote:Sprite animation is dying. As far as most of the internet is concerned, we're pretty much the butt monkeys of animation. We aren't a big site like Newgrounds or Fluidanims, we're a small community trying to encourage people to try their best and have fun.
Pretty much.
@Double0Epic wrote:Actually Fluidanims merged with stickpage. I know cause i used to be a member, hence why I animate sticks. I don't know why i don't have an account on stickpage yet but yeah. stuff happens. Actually now that I think about it I might make that battleaxe my RHG's weapon.
anyways i think newgrounds is still going strong. sprite animation however... not so much.
I'll contribute how i can when I get a computer that accepts this flash drive or whenever i get a chance to animate at school, but for now I'm a stick animator.
That's completely fine.

Double0Epic
Double0Epic
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2012-12-27

on 3/25/2013, 3:15 pm
as i've referred in another post: I will make some custom sprites for some LoL characters once I get enough practice but I guess we'll all just have to make our own characters. I mean even if we make our own sprites, people will still judge us for using someone else's characters and abilities. if we make our own I guess they will be much better accepted.

I'm not saying I hate you, but if you were set ablaze and I had a bucket of water, I'd probably drink it.
5h0ck
5h0ck
Spritan
Spritan
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJMXtpQUTAA2kNWj_dwWnAhttps://twitter.com/abxelic

on 3/25/2013, 10:17 pm
I don't think its only because of useing copyrigted characters, I think its more than just that.

after all there are still plenty of people who make handrawn animations of those same characters and yet are still largely popular. clearly its more than just that. More than likely its a combination of several issues.

issue 1, more and more greatly talented spriters are disapearing or retireing...or both.
this makes current animators less inspired and at the same time it makes viewers more likely to beleive that there will never be another as good as their proposed favorite. this in turn gives them an automatic biased and comparison towards other animators.

issue 2, an increase in crappy animators, while having new animators is nice, theres also been a rise of animations with virtually no effort, and I've also notice that some animators don't like the very idea of practice/criticism and auto assume all dislikers = haters. this overshadows the actually good newbies and gives an increased biased towards spriters in general.

issue 3, assumptions, those who don't actually know what it takes to animate assume that spriters are lazy and just copy/paste, they assume no real effort goes into it and don't consider it "real animation" this causes a larger problem for people who actually take the time to make customs as this bias sticks with the general group of spriters.

although....considering how many failed collabs/battles we have.....the lazy related bias is probobly our own fault.

that being said...our group is really damn small, it'll be hard for us to remove the bias that sprites aren't "real" animation. in the end if people don't consider it real...then it won't matter if its custom or otherwise. just look at code monkeys, that tv show was hilarious but it didn't last worth shit.

Either way the best thing we can do now is fix our current lack of users, if we get serious with our animations and release quality work more often, then more users will surely appear more often, once we increase our ranks, we will have a higher chance of saving sprites as a whole.

TheGensis
TheGensis
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2012-01-04

on 3/26/2013, 3:12 pm
Well hopefully some random miracle will happen and will start to create interest in flash animation until then we just have to continue and grow and develop to produce great and amazing feats of art work through this site.
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/26/2013, 3:14 pm
^ Exactly. What you and 5h0ck said pretty much sums it up.

Tal
Tal
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/26/2013, 3:44 pm
i really wish there was a way to make our small community evolve...

"Interesting sig text"

Timmy
Timmy
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-11-08

on 3/26/2013, 8:27 pm
Newgrounds in my eyes, at the moment:

Flash Portal (Movies) - Well first off, no one gives a fuck about the under judgement portal anymore - shit takes over a day for flash to pass, easy. And anything passes. Anything. I submit terrible movies all the time, just for shits and giggles. I even did the flash flood w/ the clock crew. The object of the flash flood is to make a flash everyday for a month. I made a flash called 'Dot' - literally one frame of a dot. Dot. Now, most of you are gonna blame me as part of NG's downfall because I make shitty movies. Yes, and no. I mean, first off, newgrounds is big enough a spam submission wont do anything. But, secondly, I enjoy most spam over a lot of other things. Maybe I'm twisted, but at least spam has some originality. The average flash right now is a Harlem Shake Video or a Game Grumps parody. Really, I consider that shittier than a simple joke flash, like Dot.

The new video component is cool and helping NG a lot.

Audio Portal - Getting better and better. Less generic techno and more creative music.

Art Portal - I like a lot of the stuff in the art portal. But a lot of hentai. A lot.

Newgrounds is never gonna be what it used to be, but it'll survive for a good while. It's doing better than it was in early 2012.

Spoiler:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
5h0ck
5h0ck
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/26/2013, 8:51 pm
well the audio and art portals have always been good.

but if the flash portal really has been getting more ad more crap....then this might still be a good thing.

up untill now spriters have been reluctant to post in fear of getting blamed....but if even shit is starting to get through(wich when i first joined newgrounds was rare) then this might be the perfect opportunity for us. If we start dishing out our best stuff right now and post it on newgrounds, we might actually have a chance to get front page without having to worry about haters. If we do get front page then at the very least the majority of users will see just how good sprites can still be. this might also encourage them to check out our site.

also to those who use youtube/deviant art, have you guys been linking to us in the descriptions? I've been meaning to but i keep on forgetting.

anyways from what I've seen both of those sites seem much more accepting of sprites than newgrounds. even my old wmm ichigo vs goku still gets views(now if only they'd stop arguing about who should win)

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum