11 posters
Go down
Rockin
Rockin
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2012-04-14

What Defines a Character to you? Empty What Defines a Character to you?

9/2/2012, 12:01 am
I see a lot of Sonic and Kirby fan characters in this thread, as well as the more original characters like Face. I'm merely curious about this, but...

what defines a 'character' to you?

Some people feel disgusted when they see another Fan character rise above the ashes. Others are more open armed about them. Then there's the few who doesn't mind as long as certain requirements are met within said character.

So when you see a character, do you look at their looks? Their personalities? Their background? C'mon, let's talk about this.

I feel this would be a good topic so as to see what goes into the minds of those that do make characters/critique them.

EDIT: Haha, forgot the most importing thing: telling the difference between the two

Fan character - It's a character that exist within an existing universe/realm within a said video game/anime/cartoon show that was made from a person. (Examples of existing universe - Mario Bros., Kirby, Sonic The Hedgehog, Naruto, Final Fantasy, etc).

Original Character - a character that exist within a universe/realm the creator themselves made. They're not tied down to any known characters in anyway, thus making them stand out as more 'new' to the world.
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 12958
Registration date : 2008-11-18
https://www.youtube.com/user/Granadicohttps://www.twitch.tv/granadico/profile

What Defines a Character to you? Empty Re: What Defines a Character to you?

9/2/2012, 1:59 am
how much thought, effort, and originality is in them

___________________________________________________________________________________________

What Defines a Character to you? Granadico made by Knux184

We can learn from the past
But those days are gone
We can hope for the future
But there may not be one
-Mike Portnoy "A Change of Seasons"
Ray*~*Ler
Ray*~*Ler
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 780
Registration date : 2011-08-28

9/2/2012, 2:11 am
Their personalities. I don't mind the looks of how they look unless they are a recolor.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

What Defines a Character to you? BlackKyuremsig
BLACK KYUREM<333
Shiny Caught:2 (Shiny Pawniard(idk how many REs)October 2,2011
New Shiny Caught:LiepardWhat Defines a Character to you? Shiny_Liepard_BW(2013 REs)October 8,2012
Signature shop: What Defines a Character to you? SuperVegetasig_zps5897075c
Best LOL in my life. GOOD JOB RUBEN! also proof that yoshi is >_>..
Spoiler:
What Defines a Character to you? LOOOLGFRUBENWhat Defines a Character to you? VrWMv
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 6082
Registration date : 2009-09-07

9/2/2012, 7:50 am
Originality. That's about it. We barely see anything fresh on these threads.

I don't think I've seen an OC here ^-^"

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata 1959-2015
Rockin
Rockin
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 8:16 am
@Granadico wrote:how much thought, effort, and originality is in them

@NS01 wrote:Originality. That's about it. We barely see anything fresh on these threads.

That's cool, but the main problem is that there isn't much originality on a fan character (not cause of how they look, but what they ARE), so I don't know why there's such a 'srs bizness' when looking at them. lol

EDIT: Wait, doesn't Face have original characters, NS1? lol
Face
Face
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 13013
Registration date : 2010-04-29

9/2/2012, 8:33 am
What Defines a Character to me?

Green bikini underwear....nuff said

What Defines a Character to you? Create10

What Defines a Character to you? Untitl15
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 8:39 am
@Rockin wrote:

@NS01 wrote:Originality. That's about it. We barely see anything fresh on these threads.

That's cool, but the main problem is that there isn't much originality on a fan character (not cause of how they look, but what they ARE), so I don't know why there's such a 'srs bizness' when looking at them. lol

I said barely lol.

We don't usually create a big fuss over a Kirby FC or hell, an Original Sonic FC. But if it's something like a Sonic fan character who's hair defies the laws of gravity and also wears tracksuit bottoms, then we'll get mad xD

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata 1959-2015
Face
Face
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 8:50 am
@NS01 wrote:wears tracksuit bottoms, then we'll get mad xD
Damn right,we like

green bikini underwear
What Defines a Character to you? UM001-4%2BGreen%2BSexy%2BBriefs%2BMen%27s%2BBikini%2BUnderwear

Rockin
Rockin
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 8:55 am
@Face wrote: What Defines a Character to me?

But that isn't sexy. D:

@NS01 wrote:
@Rockin wrote:

I said barely lol.

We don't usually create a big fuss over a Kirby FC or hell, an Original Sonic FC. But if it's something like a Sonic fan character who's hair defies the laws of gravity and also wears tracksuit bottoms, then we'll get mad xD

Ahh. Some posts I've seen recently made it seem that way (especially when SXR post on a sonic related FC lol)
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 9:07 am
That's just SXR being a duck. Ignore him, hehe.

Face
Face
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 9:11 am
@Rockin wrote:
@Face wrote: What Defines a Character to me?

But that isn't sexy. D:

What Defines a Character to you? Blasphemy

LOL no but seriously Granadico hit it on the head.

Leo
Leo
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23

9/2/2012, 10:18 am
I've already said this many times but what defines a character (original or not) for me is his personality. I also enjoy some good character design, but only when it fits the character's personality and almost no one does that with sprites.
If someone does they'll probably make him be bored. For the rest of his life.

Backstories...well I don't think they're THAT important. You don't always need a backstory, unless it really has a big impact on the life of your character. But people tend to make ridiculously long backstories, and usually they kill the parents of the main character.
CURSE YOU BATMAN!
D3Anims
D3Anims
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 6288
Registration date : 2010-09-09

9/2/2012, 10:30 am
Effort, design(a little), and as Leo said, personality.

Dont just make a recolor, put effort into their design. Im not one of those guys that think design is a huge factor, shit Kurbi originally was brown kirby with a mark on his face(because I like to stay true to original concepts, since kirbys are just heads with limbs) Dont take a sheet turn it purple or w/e rainbow abomination that you have in mind, and say he's my character, he loves to fight because thats all I plan on animating him doing herp derp.

Personality: Without it, its just a bunch of pixels moving around. A character NEEDS personality or else all you made was Kristen Stewart the Hedgehog, or Twilight Kirby. Make something that acts weird like Quote, or stupid/ childishly clueless like Saito, or cool/chill like Jodie.

Personality can make even the fugliest FC/OC likeable, kinda like people

What Defines a Character to you? Untitl11
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 10:50 am
Dont just make a recolor, put effort into their design. Im not one of those guys that think design is a huge factor, shit Kurbi originally was brown kirby with a mark on his face(because I like to stay true to original concepts, since kirbys are just heads with limbs) Dont take a sheet turn it purple or w/e rainbow abomination that you have in mind, and say he's my character, he loves to fight because thats all I plan on animating him doing herp derp.

What about Merlow? ^3^ He's just an Emerl recolour.
Then again, his personality is hilarious which I guess makes him likeable.

Leo
Leo
Administrator
Administrator

9/2/2012, 10:51 am
Merlow is a character made solely for the laughs, so it sorta works I guess?

If I was doing him I would change some stuff around, tho
D3Anims
D3Anims
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 10:57 am
@NS01 wrote:

What about Merlow? ^3^ He's just an Emerl recolour.
Then again, his personality is hilarious which I guess makes him likeable.

Merlows a robot so recoloring him made simply made him look kewl, so it was immediately excused for me for some reason.

But yeah, his personality gives people the lols, so hes a favorite rather than a shitty burden

As for design, like I said, its not really a big deal to me, as long as it looks good/visually tolerable, it itll need a damn good personality to match.

Quote for example is just a recolor with a paintbrush, his personality, honestly saved him

BlitznBurst
BlitznBurst
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 4898
Registration date : 2011-01-15

9/2/2012, 12:36 pm
If the sprite's decent and it actually has some goddamn originality (And no clothes, that is a fucking stupid idea) then I don't care.

A personality that has some depth to it as opposed to a single trait and nothing else at all is a bonus.

What Defines a Character to you? UZ3PNb5
D3Anims
D3Anims
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 12:42 pm
Blitz n' Burst wrote:(And no clothes, that is a fucking stupid idea)
Sounds like you're asking for the backhand

Rockin
Rockin
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 12:58 pm
Blitz n' Burst wrote:If the sprite's decent and it actually has some goddamn originality (And no clothes, that is a fucking stupid idea) then I don't care.

Sounds like you don't like sonic fan characters period. lol

If the character had no cloths on, then that would most likely mean they'll be a recolor of sonic/kirby/w.e. Does this mean you're cool with that?

also

Blitz n' Burst wrote:
And there are plenty of great-looking fan character SPRITES, it's just that a lot of the designs are quite boring. I look up to quite a lot of people who make fan-characters because even though the character itself isn't amazing the sprite is. It's just that the characters that look like shit are the majority and the fan-character haters assume that they're the entirety instead. I don't think fan-characters are inherently bad, it's just that there are almost no good ones at all.

You mention that in a thread. Do you have some examples? It might help me (and others) understand where you're coming from.
BlitznBurst
BlitznBurst
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 1:28 pm
I was just saying that because of the amount of people who are too lazy to do anything people believe that everyone who makes a fan-character is a horrible spriter which is just stupid. They pretty much get sprite quality and character design mixed up which is just stupid. Hell, one guy called me a horrible spriter and every complaint he listed was issues with the fan character, not the sprite.

Hell, look at my sprites. The characters are awful but the sprites are good (Although I think the only fan character I posted here was the one I posted in Jayden's revamp thread)

Like I said, I don't hate fan characters themselves, it's just that almost every fan character in existence is utter crap.

v2
v2
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 5600
Registration date : 2012-05-17

9/2/2012, 1:33 pm
You know people say they want originality but:
  • Originality doesn't make things good
  • There is probably nothing original left in this world. Sure you make think something's original, but it's not, just because it's not overused doesn't mean it's original.

Now let's all have a big flamewar

What Defines a Character to you? Lorde
Leo
Leo
Administrator
Administrator

9/2/2012, 3:52 pm
Sieghart wrote:
You know people say they want originality but:
  • Originality doesn't make things good
  • There is probably nothing original left in this world. Sure you make think something's original, but it's not, just because it's not overused doesn't mean it's original.

Now let's all have a big flamewar
this
nah we all know that uniqueness is not a virtue

it all lies in the execution of the character itself
BlitznBurst
BlitznBurst
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 3:54 pm
Yeah. I don't give a fuck about originality. Something can do things rarely ever seen before and still suck and something that doesn't give many new ideas can still pull them off better.

NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 4:40 pm
You puttin' me on the couch bitches?

Fine.

Let's rant.

I'll take you all on.

D3Anims
D3Anims
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 5:00 pm
@NS01 wrote:You puttin' me on the couch bitches?

Fine.

Let's rant.

I'll take you all on.

You cant handle this ass or the characters that it shits out

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum