Go down
Leo
Leo
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Steam vs Sandbag - Page 2 Empty Re: Steam vs Sandbag

9/1/2012, 3:13 am
oh since this guy is new and stuff

I would forget about a backstory if I were you. It's what everyone does and they do ridiculously long backstories that are pretty crappy. I would focus on the following stuff :

-character design :
Don't just go for what looks COOL and such, try to make his design reflect his personality (if he has a unique and strong one, obviously). Almost no one does this with fan characters ( and most only choose that "dark guy who lost his parents and likes to fight"). So before you even start designing him, go decide on his personality.

-personality :
You can pretty much do anything you want here, there's no bad choices, only cliche ones. Like the "dark guy who lost his parents and likes to fight" one. There's no personality at all, actually. I don't mean what he likes and dislikes, either. What I do mean is, is he a angry guy who can get pissed off easily and doesn't like people? Or an happy (but quite dumb) guy who loves everyone and it's really hard to make him angry? Those are some examples, but the possibilities are endless.

Those are pretty much the most important stuff.
SXR123
SXR123
Number of posts : 11630
Registration date : 2010-03-07
https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

9/1/2012, 3:39 pm
yeah just do what leo says.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Steam vs Sandbag - Page 2 Accelerator_signature_by_kyuubi03-d3aqkga

ADOPT A CHAO!!
(figuratively speaking of course)
SᗡN
SᗡN
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 1846
Registration date : 2011-07-19

9/1/2012, 11:32 pm
@Leo wrote:Guy who loves everyone and it's really hard to make him angry.

I love these kind.

pick dis one pick dis oooonnee Crying or Very sad

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Steam vs Sandbag - Page 2 Tumblr_n56t8i_Q2_Ct1qbwudjo1_500
Rockin
Rockin
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2012-04-14

9/1/2012, 11:49 pm
@D3Anims wrote:

Commetns like that are the reason we need a rep bar man

@Rad:
He still looks bacd, give him a touch up. The black eyes are a bit...ugh

Dont think that adding clothes fix anything. No homo but why should they be dressed? They usually only have glove and shoes, stay true to the original concept, while making something unique at the same time. Like SquirrelKid did. Give him some sort of trademark.

Just adding clothes does nothing but make him an orange sonic with clothes on.

Putting on cloths is usually a step up away from looking like any of the cannon characters (sonic, tails, etc.) For a sonic Fan character, there isn't much you can do to really look 'original' in terms of designs. The most you CAN do is just make a convincing story-like with a decent/interesting personality and just hope it's accepted.

As far as the design goes...eh, it's alright I guess. As other suggested, you may want to fix up the background and personality so as to better flesh out your FC.

EDIT: If he doesn't want to use macroflash 8 or any of the better flash programs, then let him not use it. No need to force feed him something he doesn't feel comfortable eating.
Saul
Saul
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 2676
Registration date : 2012-02-04

9/2/2012, 8:32 am
@Leo wrote:
Or an happy (but quite dumb) guy who loves everyone and it's really hard to make him angry?
Ehmmm can i suggest you a name which starts with L- and finishes with -uffy?

Steam vs Sandbag - Page 2 Tumblr_n3ks24gVXv1rydwbvo1_500Steam vs Sandbag - Page 2 CmHNDLR
D3Anims
D3Anims
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 6288
Registration date : 2010-09-09

9/2/2012, 10:49 am
@Rockin wrote:
@D3Anims wrote:

Commetns like that are the reason we need a rep bar man

@Rad:
He still looks bacd, give him a touch up. The black eyes are a bit...ugh

Dont think that adding clothes fix anything. No homo but why should they be dressed? They usually only have glove and shoes, stay true to the original concept, while making something unique at the same time. Like SquirrelKid did. Give him some sort of trademark.

Just adding clothes does nothing but make him an orange sonic with clothes on.

Putting on cloths is usually a step up away from looking like any of the cannon characters (sonic, tails, etc.) For a sonic Fan character, there isn't much you can do to really look 'original' in terms of designs. The most you CAN do is just make a convincing story-like with a decent/interesting personality and just hope it's accepted.

As far as the design goes...eh, it's alright I guess. As other suggested, you may want to fix up the background and personality so as to better flesh out your FC.

EDIT: If he doesn't want to use macroflash 8 or any of the better flash programs, then let him not use it. No need to force feed him something he doesn't feel comfortable eating.
If he's gonna be a fc from that universe make him look a bit like the concept of the originals. Look at Soran and Bolt. In the Sonic world everyone is an animal, they only wear gloves and shoes, to try to add clothes to sonic after he fell in a bucket of paint is just adding to the fail.

Soran:
Spoiler:
Steam vs Sandbag - Page 2 Soran10
Clearly, he's still a hedgehog, but rather than that stupid spiky ssj hair, Deathcakes pulled it down and had it wrapped by a band. Clearly an inhabitant of the Sonic world, but DOESNT LOOK LIKE SONIC FELL IN A BUCKET OF PAINT
Bolt:
Spoiler:
Steam vs Sandbag - Page 2 Chip_stance_by_squirrelkidd-d58hzu0
Once again, clearly an inhabitant of the Sonic world, but doesnt look like sonic, he's actually a friggin squirrel. Something that is never seen in an FC, since they all are hedgehogs.

Adding clothes is just playing dressup with a recolor

Steam vs Sandbag - Page 2 Untitl11
BlitznBurst
BlitznBurst
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 4898
Registration date : 2011-01-15

9/2/2012, 11:18 am
Bolt is pretty much Ray but brown.

And to be honest niether of those FCs are original but I suppose it's a shitload better tan giving them clothes because clothes are cool. I think I had a fan character that I actually think was pretty decent. I'll try to find it.

Steam vs Sandbag - Page 2 UZ3PNb5
D3Anims
D3Anims
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 11:27 am
Blitz n' Burst wrote:Bolt is pretty much Ray but brown.

And to be honest niether of those FCs are original but I suppose it's a shitload better tan giving them clothes because clothes are cool. I think I had a fan character that I actually think was pretty decent. I'll try to find it.

A fan character CANT be original, because itll always be based on and influenced by the original concept. The purpose of a fan character isnt to make it original, but to have your very own creation based on the concepts set by the original source, while at the same time not copying shit to a tee.

And nobody cares about ray, and there are no Ray sprites so Bolt wins

Rockin
Rockin
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 11:32 am
@D3Anims wrote:feed him something he doesn't feel comfortable eating.
If he's gonna be a fc from that universe make him look a bit like the concept of the originals. Look at Soran and Bolt. In the Sonic world everyone is an animal, they only wear gloves and shoes, to try to add clothes to sonic after he fell in a bucket of paint is just adding to the fail.

Soran:
Spoiler:
Steam vs Sandbag - Page 2 Soran10
Clearly, he's still a hedgehog, but rather than that stupid spiky ssj hair, Deathcakes pulled it down and had it wrapped by a band. Clearly an inhabitant of the Sonic world, but DOESNT LOOK LIKE SONIC FELL IN A BUCKET OF PAINT
Bolt:
Spoiler:
Steam vs Sandbag - Page 2 Chip_stance_by_squirrelkidd-d58hzu0
Once again, clearly an inhabitant of the Sonic world, but doesnt look like sonic, he's actually a friggin squirrel. Something that is never seen in an FC, since they all are hedgehogs.

Adding clothes is just playing dressup with a recolor[/quote]

I can totally understand the argument you're putting up (tbh, I find Bolt to be pretty original in terms of design, so again props to him). I guess sprite standards are different from the artistic standard (meaning drawings and whatnot). This is how I'm looking at it, as there is a FREAKING BUTTLOAD of sonic Fan characters with cloths in some way or fashion. Yeah, not original, but it's far from rare.

There are fans, like myself who would want to be a species that they favor (specifically the character they like). Looking at this is pretty funny because in the Sonic The Hedgehog Archie comics, a lot of the characters (especally some of the more newer ones) have cloths on, or is just a recolor of said species with a bit of accessories lol
D3Anims
D3Anims
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 11:36 am
I havent read the comics so I wouldnt know. Another problem w/ clothes is tht its sprited so horribly

BlitznBurst
BlitznBurst
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 11:49 am
Except just because you can't be original doesn't mean you shouldn't fuck TRY to make it more than "recolour with clothes and a dark and tragic past" which is almost every goddamn fan character in existence.

Also just for the record there are loads of squirrels and even if they weren't it wouldn't matter. Character design is what matters. If I recolour Jet and call him a phoenix that doesn't make it any more original. The species is a basis for you to work off of, not the character itself. And bolt is a brown squirrel. Ray is a yellow squirrel. Holy shit, they're so different aren't they? That black thing was a recolour with a different head which isn't all that great either.

And there are plenty of great-looking fan character SPRITES, it's just that a lot of the designs are quite boring. I look up to quite a lot of people who make fan-characters because even though the character itself isn't amazing the sprite is. It's just that the characters that look like shit are the majority and the fan-character haters assume that they're the entirety instead. I don't think fan-characters are inherently bad, it's just that there are almost no good ones at all.

Steam vs Sandbag - Page 2 UZ3PNb5
Rockin
Rockin
Spritan
Spritan

9/2/2012, 12:06 pm
Haha, in anycase guys, I think we're getting a LITTLE off topic here, guys. More of this could be said in this thread here https://www.thespritas.com/t5238-what-defines-a-character-to-you
Raddious
Raddious
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2012-06-13

9/5/2012, 9:21 pm
Shocked I'm not doing steam anymore

Steam vs Sandbag - Page 2 Raddio11
I drew this in my boredom...
Raddious
Raddious
Spritan
Spritan

9/7/2012, 10:05 pm
D3Anims wrote:
Effort, design(a little), and as Leo said, personality.

Dont just make a recolor, put effort into their design. Im not one of those guys that think design is a huge factor, shit Kurbi originally was brown kirby with a mark on his face(because I like to stay true to original concepts, since kirbys are just heads with limbs) Dont take a sheet turn it purple or w/e rainbow abomination that you have in mind, and say he's my character, he loves to fight because thats all I plan on animating him doing herp derp.

Personality: Without it, its just a bunch of pixels moving around. A character NEEDS personality or else all you made was Kristen Stewart the Hedgehog, or Twilight Kirby. Make something that acts weird like Quote, or stupid/ childishly clueless like Saito, or cool/chill like Jodie.

Personality can make even the fugliest FC/OC likeable, kinda like people

This just came to me, Quote was never weird till he tried to go super sayain. Before this he had a serious voice and actually knew what he was doing. But when Squirell Kid introduced Bolt, Quote acted like spongebob except WORSE. I gest his personality changed...

Spoiler:

BlitznBurst
BlitznBurst
Spritan
Spritan

9/8/2012, 3:20 am
Um... there's a quote button right next to peoples' posts.

So you can quote posts.

Instead of writing "Guest wrote:whateverthefucktheysaid"
Raddious
Raddious
Spritan
Spritan

9/8/2012, 7:16 am
Blitz n' Burst wrote:Um... there's a quote button right next to peoples' posts.

So you can quote posts.

Instead of writing "Guest wrote:whateverthefucktheysaid"
I know, I had put this on the wrong toptc so I copy, delete the post, replyto this forum, and paste. The only thimg i had to redo was the spoiler. But due to this, it looks like I just typed what he said. Sad

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum