Grognor
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-04-27

Manly Brawl on a Big Tree Empty Manly Brawl on a Big Tree

4/27/2012, 10:52 pm
You can watch it on newgrounds: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/594240

This is the first animation I considered good enough to submit to the Newgrounds portal.

As an aside, I was quite surprised that this forum is an active place! Here I thought sprite animation was dead and no one was going to bring it back if I didn't, but hey! maybe I'm wrong! Anyway enjoy the movie it is good you will like it.

Last edited by Grognor on 6/18/2012, 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
SXR123
SXR123
Number of posts : 11630
Registration date : 2010-03-07
https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

Manly Brawl on a Big Tree Empty Re: Manly Brawl on a Big Tree

4/28/2012, 12:00 am
I was pleasently surprised!! from the looks of it, besides the sprites, you drew everything yourself? Damn. now that's good. you used a few DBZ sounds, people will rape you for that, but damn, very nice. Very smooth. I really enjoyed watching it. you sir are very talented. I even laughed at a few things "hardest head on earth." I couldn't help but laugh XD. this so should have won something.

great job.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Manly Brawl on a Big Tree Accelerator_signature_by_kyuubi03-d3aqkga

ADOPT A CHAO!!
(figuratively speaking of course)
Ray*~*Ler
Ray*~*Ler
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 780
Registration date : 2011-08-28

4/28/2012, 12:20 am
this is pretty good i say :). keep up the good work.* i wonder whats the sound of the special attack incoming or hit hard incoming...W.E*

but sprite animating is going to be dead soon because people barely find sound effects -_-....i hope someone can do something or we do it lmao..

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Manly Brawl on a Big Tree BlackKyuremsig
BLACK KYUREM<333
Shiny Caught:2 (Shiny Pawniard(idk how many REs)October 2,2011
New Shiny Caught:LiepardManly Brawl on a Big Tree Shiny_Liepard_BW(2013 REs)October 8,2012
Signature shop: Manly Brawl on a Big Tree SuperVegetasig_zps5897075c
Best LOL in my life. GOOD JOB RUBEN! also proof that yoshi is >_>..
Spoiler:
Manly Brawl on a Big Tree LOOOLGFRUBENManly Brawl on a Big Tree VrWMv
NDS~
NDS~
Banned
Banned
Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2011-10-23

4/28/2012, 7:32 am
www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/594240

Clickable link is now clickable

░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░
░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄░░░░
░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█░░░
░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░█░░
░▄▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░░█░
█░▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒░█
Patrick: So you mean to say they’ve taken what we thought we think and make us think we thought our thoughts we've been thinking our thoughts we think we thought? I think...
GEARichard
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2011-02-24

4/28/2012, 9:35 am
lol those lil sprites managed so fine, very good job dude

Hitlist (not organized):
Spoiler:

- xKAreloaded
- Leo (hopefully someday he'll accept)
- Dabestbrawler
- Exorz
- LightSpriter
- Leaf
- Eric
- SquirrelKidd
- NDS
- Patt (he doesn't animate anymore :'c)
- Pac-Boy (not even active)
- DestructionSeries (not even active)
- Mystah_Jayden (barely active)
- Face
- 5h0ck
- moke311
- Atomic
- Keezy

Everyone here, is considered (IMO), someone with great animation skills. So I want to battle them. Hopefully, it can happen someday.
Face
Face
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 13013
Registration date : 2010-04-29

4/28/2012, 12:48 pm
Maaaan this was tight

Manly Brawl on a Big Tree Untitl15
SXR123
SXR123

4/28/2012, 12:54 pm
I can't believe how entertaining this was. You've got a lot of promise dude, customly drawn backgrounds, super smooth animating, original sprite fights (none of the cliche's like sonic, mario, etc.).

I honestly can't wait to see what you do next!

ADOPT A CHAO!!
Grognor
Grognor
Spritan
Spritan

4/28/2012, 1:31 pm
@SXR123 wrote:I was pleasently surprised!! from the looks of it, besides the sprites, you drew everything yourself? Damn. now that's good. you used a few DBZ sounds, people will rape you for that, but damn, very nice. Very smooth. I really enjoyed watching it. you sir are very talented. I even laughed at a few things "hardest head on earth." I couldn't help but laugh XD. this so should have won something.

great job.

@Ray*~*Ler wrote:this is pretty good i say :). keep up the good work.* i wonder whats the sound of the special attack incoming or hit hard incoming...W.E*

@GEARichard wrote:lol those lil sprites managed so fine, very good job dude

@Face wrote:Maaaan this was tight

@SXR123 wrote:I can't believe how entertaining this was. You've got a lot of promise dude, customly drawn backgrounds, super smooth animating, original sprite fights (none of the cliche's like sonic, mario, etc.).

I honestly can't wait to see what you do next!

Thank you for the kind words, all. I actually consider the mouse-drawn background to be a flaw in this movie. Since it doesn't break or get burnt or anything, don't you think it would have looked better all pixelated? But I didn't make it that way because, basically, I can't.

Be hard like a bone, not a rock. Protect something.
Crash
Crash
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 1229
Registration date : 2010-04-07

4/28/2012, 1:49 pm
that was indeed very manly this was a great animation
but the effects kinda bugged me tho
but good use of the bg and the sprites Very Happy

Manly Brawl on a Big Tree 50fe6f8bcc
W A V E D A S H B O Y Z

Respect your elders.
XCFIRSTCLASS
XCFIRSTCLASS
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2011-06-02

4/28/2012, 2:06 pm
I enjoyed this. You actually didn't waste my time. Congrats.
HavocTheGreenKirby
HavocTheGreenKirby
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2012-04-23

4/28/2012, 2:15 pm
I found this very nice and well put together. the animation was very smooth, and the fact that you drew this was outstanding. Although some parts could use some effects, such as some sword attacks you did and punching, but besides that, it was very great. The sound effects were put to good use, too. The only thing that irritated me were the DBZ sounds but still they were used for good purposes of the animation. Overall, really great.

Manly Brawl on a Big Tree Otl01w
NDS~
NDS~
Banned
Banned
Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2011-10-23

4/28/2012, 8:38 pm
It was nice.

░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░
░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄░░░░
░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█░░░
░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░█░░
░▄▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░░█░
█░▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒░█
Patrick: So you mean to say they’ve taken what we thought we think and make us think we thought our thoughts we've been thinking our thoughts we think we thought? I think...
Eric
Eric
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2008-10-20

4/28/2012, 8:50 pm
Nice.

Watch your ass.
Manly Brawl on a Big Tree Banned1a7c7e438gif
SXR123
SXR123

4/28/2012, 8:57 pm
ZOMG ERIC BROK DAH RULZ. BAN HEEMZ BAN HEEEEMZZZ

ADOPT A CHAO!!
Knux
Knux
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 2829
Registration date : 2010-02-17

4/28/2012, 9:19 pm
@SXR123 wrote:ZOMG ERIC BROK DAH RULZ. BAN HEEMZ BAN HEEEEMZZZ
Or ban you for being an idiot.
This was pretty enjoyable though. Gave me a good solid chuckle.
Only thing that bothered me was some of the effects. i liked them, but some looked a little strange.
Very nice job though.
Blackleafe
Blackleafe
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 1322
Registration date : 2011-06-01

4/29/2012, 2:14 am
Hmmm very amusing. I'll give it 8,5/10. I was very good except i was hoping to see more camera movement and angles. But don't mind about it. It's still very good piece of animation.

Manly Brawl on a Big Tree Nimeta12
Jellal
Jellal
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 2524
Registration date : 2011-03-19

4/29/2012, 12:58 pm
This was superb, keep up the good work.
@XCFIRSTCLASS wrote:I enjoyed this. You actually didn't waste my time. Congrats.
This is possibly the most under-handed elitist compliment on here evars.

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst.
Deuteronomy 13:7-12
Face
Face
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 13013
Registration date : 2010-04-29

4/29/2012, 5:12 pm
haters gonna hate

Manly Brawl on a Big Tree Untitl15
D3Anims
D3Anims
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 6288
Registration date : 2010-09-09

4/29/2012, 5:16 pm
Weird in a very good way

Manly Brawl on a Big Tree Untitl11
XCFIRSTCLASS
XCFIRSTCLASS
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2011-06-02

4/29/2012, 6:29 pm
@Jellal wrote:This was superb, keep up the good work.
@XCFIRSTCLASS wrote:I enjoyed this. You actually didn't waste my time. Congrats.

Congrats Joey. You caught my bluff. What do you want?
moke311
moke311
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2012-03-03

4/30/2012, 9:25 am
Very manly indeed! 8D

I'm extremely impressed by the animation. I'm honestly stunned by how fluent it is, considering that you are using rather limited NES FF sprites.

My personal favorite thing about this is the little details that you incorporated in the animation, such as the subtle movements of the sword the Warrior was holding. It just makes the characters more alive! I also really liked how the Warrior climbed the tree. It makes me giggle every time. x3

Good use of squash and stretch, nice effect with the sword swinging, and good physics too! The humor and friendship-on-the-side story was definitely the icing on the cake! The pacing was alright, but sometimes I thought that it dragged out a bit too long (but that's just me). Yea, the hand-drawn stuff does seem awkward with the sprites sometimes, but it works!

Overall, great job! I can't wait to see more of your work!
Leo
Leo
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23

4/30/2012, 6:53 pm
Very good job on this.
It's really good and refreshing to see some creative people messing around with sprites again, I thought there was only a few folks left who were doing that but fortunately it seems I was wrong.
Jellal
Jellal
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 2524
Registration date : 2011-03-19

4/30/2012, 8:57 pm
@Jellal wrote:This is possibly the most under-handed elitist compliment on here evars.

@Leo wrote:
It's really good and refreshing to see some creative people messing around with sprites again, I thought there was only a few folks left who were doing that but fortunately it seems I was wrong.
Yeah, there we go with that again.

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst.
Deuteronomy 13:7-12
AaronKun
AaronKun
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2011-12-22

4/30/2012, 9:01 pm
Are those swords from Minecraft?

@AaronKun wrote:I don't like The Spritas. It's not the people on Skype, it's usually everyone else. Why? I loved The Spritas, but I despise what it has become. A place for hatred, fighting, arguing and trolling. Let me out and ban me. If you can, quote this as my signature so all my past posts will reflect this. Thanks.
Grognor
Grognor
Spritan
Spritan

5/3/2012, 9:08 am
@Jellal wrote:This was superb, keep up the good work.
@Jellal wrote:
@Leo wrote:
Yeah, there we go with that again.
Allow me to defend for a minute this attitude. Let's take the phrase "You actually didn't waste my time." One can passively-aggressively and indirectly say that the tone of this sentence is inappropriate for whatever reason, but aside from trivialities like that, it is quite a sensible thing to say. The prior probability of someone who has never posted anything before actually making something watchable is so low as to almost not be worth considering. So it is entirely sensible to be surprised when it happens, even though it is going to happen multiple times. In the same way, you can't expect any individual person to win the lottery, you can expect that *someone* who plays the lottery will, even if it won't be Mortimer Q. Snodgrass, whom you met earlier and tried to convince not to buy the lottery (and this was the only time something like this happened). It's the same way: most animations will be bad / wastes of time, so it's surprising when any given individual one isn't, even though you expect that eventually one will not be a waste of time. The main difference is that it's a smaller scale.

Now, how about, "I thought there was only a few folks left who were doing that but fortunately it seems I was wrong."? Again, if the problem is the tone, then whatever. But I myself gave the same denotational sentiment in the OP of this thread: I was surprised that there's an active community of sprite animators. Why should the active community of sprite animators not be surprised that someone outside it is doing decent sprite animation?

@AaronKun wrote:Are those swords from Minecraft?
What? No, the weapons are from Final Fantasy 1 and II.

Be hard like a bone, not a rock. Protect something.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum