Go down
Mr Lange
Mr Lange
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 1576
Registration date : 2010-04-19

The Long Drop (JUDGMENT) Empty The Long Drop (JUDGMENT)

on 1/2/2012, 5:36 am
Ladies and gentlemen, after my grueling judgment, the first Spritas challenge comes to a close. You all did a good job. Be happy with your efforts and see them as part of your journey of improvement. This first challenge was kind of a test run though because we've never done this before, so cut me some slack as I do my best job judging your animations. As you can see, for this time around, I've rated Animation, Graphics, and Ideas as 1 through 10 scores, which are tallied together making a max possible score of 30, which you all shamefully failed to reach. I also rate Sound for the sake of a full review, but that score is not counted for this challenge. Anyway, lots of good, lots of gripes. Here they are.

Leocartoon
1st Place
Spoiler:
Animation: 7
The animation was well managed and consistent. The actions were accentuated and easy to understand. However, every motion was very blatantly raw tweens and showed straight lines everywhere (the shell particles, while good detail, looked awful in motion). Also, the lack of any parallax severely hurt the animation given that it was meant to show a long vertical drop. There were only two planes of motion, the immediate foreground and and infinite distance backdrop image that never showed motion. As such it was very difficult to get a sense of motion other than looking at the clouds, which apparently only exist right in front of the camera.
Graphics: 7.5
I see some custom spriting here and there. The visual effects were handled well. The background image is well made and nice to look at. The very faint motion blur on the clouds is rather distracting, instead of blending well with the animation it is more of a visual annoyance. The portal effects were awful. Despite these flaws, I still felt alright watching it as a whole.
Ideas: 6.5
It was made fairly clear that this was Mario in some kind of stadium competition. The presentation was made enjoyable with the variance of actions Mario performed during the fall, even if the whole sequence was minimalistic. The portals at the end were a surprise as much as they were confusing. The attempt at humor was pretty lousy.
Sound: 8 (not counted)
The sounds were very good overall, well chosen and well managed. Layered ambient wind sound for the fall, the fading in crowd near the end. But like the portal graphics, the portal sounds were awful.
Final Tally: 21

Pacboy
2nd Place
Spoiler:
Animation: 4
This entire animation was a clusterfuck of confusing pans and horribly sequenced motions. There's only a few minor bulletpoints of quality (the acceleration at the start had a lot of impact, the spins leading into the burning shell toss), but they are drowned in a pool of awful, ugly movements that don't match up in any believable or appealing way. Pacboy tried WAY too hard to do something he obviously didn't have the capacity to do. Otherwise I can see there was an attempt at frenetic action, and while executed very badly, still... got the point across.
Graphics: 8
Apart from the animation though, the graphics in this were pretty good. The background during the beginning was lovely. The gradual transition from space to earth was very good. Overall, the graphics were well chosen and well placed, without many glaring conflicts. Couple tips though; for one thing, the appearance of a crescent moon is only shading. Its not ACTUALLY crescent shaped, its still in reality a full circle. Its also in front of stars. So, it didn't make much sense that the stars were visible through it. Also, the smoke was blatanty repeated in those trails. This looks really tacky. Smoke needs variation over time and distance.
Ideas: 8
There was a lot going on in this between the jump and the landing, which I really liked. It started with little happening and ended with little happening, the difference being anticipation and completion. All throughout the middle there was chaos and activity, demonstrating a variety of fast flowing ideas.
Sound: 6.5 (not counted)
The sound paired well with the action. While for the most part this does well for the experience, it was also poorly balanced throughout. I realized I was becoming infuriated with the saturation of Mario's voice over the tinkly little shell kick sounds, then occasionally being punched in the face with something obnoxious.
Final Tally: 20

Shadowwalker
3rd Place (TIE)
Spoiler:
This animation suffered for exactly the same reasons Pacboy's animation suffered. This was also a scrambled hysteria of unwatchable headdache, yet a little more so. The tweens were sticking out like a startled elephant in a library. According to the parallax, Peach and the audience are a million miles away. I had to watch this several times just to understand what was happening. I can only praise that a lot of... "effort"... was put into this.
Graphics: 7
Very clearly Shadowwalker was wielding a sword he could not carry. The graphics, while very nice, were sometimes handled badly. I see some custom spriting, and I enjoyed some of the unique appealing bits (eg the magnification strips at the beginning) but it doesn't really make up for the train wreck of images flying everywhere. Sun flares do not occur in front of solid objects, which happened at the end. Other than that, I have to credit the completeness of the scene, which didn't really lack anything essential. It was brimming with bells and whistles.
Ideas: 6
Uh... well, when I finally figured out what all was happening, I was able to safely say the ideas aren't bad. By that I mean they're decent. There was some generic uninvolved fighting against aerial foes, and the whole scene ended with Mario slingshotting from a victory flag, randomly killing Bowser. I mostly enjoyed how an original powerup concept was set aside for this animation, and a fitting one at that.
Sound: 6 (not counted)
It was ok. I mean, sounds were placed decently (from what I can interpret anyway). However it was mostly a fat stream of noise and clipping. None of this was helped by that infernal beeping through the entire animation, which had no effort put into softening it or preventing it from being very distracting. On top of this, it was mixed down to mono, probably on swf export. so all of the already shit noise was squashed into the music. To put it stupidly, SHOOM SHOOM SHOOOOM SHOOM SHOOOOM SHOOM
Final Tally: 17

Richboysp8y
3rd Place (TIE)
Spoiler:
Animation: 6
Well controlled, well balanced, and easy to follow. There was variance in the movements that felt natural. While not spectacular, its above decent.
Graphics: 5
I love the bizarre background made for this (despite looking like an ms paint drawing), as well as the Mario sprites chosen, which only added to the hilarious surrealism. Beyond that there really isn't anything to talk about.
I have no idea what happened, but this time it was out of humor and not because of animation gone wrong. I was entranced by the surrealism, and was glad to see a lot happening through the whole animation. There's no outstanding ideas, just Mario fighting his franchise foes with a pinch of randomness, oh and Dark Ryu for some reason. Then Mario hits the ground and fades away. An encore of lolwuts ensues.
Sound: 5.5 (not counted)
The best part of the sound is the music, and whatever the hell I heard in the beginning. The rest was run of the mill sounds, followed by ear rape when Mario did that spin attack. So... good job?

Oddboy
4th Place
Spoiler:
Animation: 6
At least this is a breath of clean air from Pacboy's and Shadowwalker's animation, huge contrast. Yet that doesn't say much because hardly anything happened at all, but what did happen was not very well animated. The motion tweens were obvious, and... that's about it. Nothing interesting, yet not terrible. Hey, at least the background showed parallax, something even Leo can't claim.
Graphics: 3
Talk about just barely enough to get by. There's a building that is just building-looking enough to be called a building, but its a building that a first grader drew in his art class. Same goes for the "ground" at the end. There's also a static background. Yep. I do not even see any custom sprites by Oddboy in this. Just recycled everything.
Ideas: 4
Once again, just enough to get by. Mario kills a koopa. Luigi's taunt is cut short by a bullet bill attack. And then a Toad is punched. The end. Speaking of which, that Toad was punched downward, out of frame. This was the last thing that happened before Mario hit the ground, one second later. So where the hell did that Toad go?
Sound: 4 (not counted)
Just... enough... for something to listen to. That and a fitting song. What else can be said. At least the sound wasn't horrible quality or improperly chosen.
Final Tally: 13

Shiftedknowledge
Disqualified (may have tied with 1st)
This part was not completed as it was supposed to. Mario never reached the ground. Therefore, it is disqualified from the contest. However, it was good for what was finished, so I'll judge what I can.
Spoiler:
Animation: 8
This had better animation then everyone else's. The tweens were only slightly recognizable if you look closely. He kept the motions balanced and controlled without doing anything that harmed the believability of the animation throughout. The bullet bills reflecting away from the Mario statue was just gorgeous. Yet, like Leo, he did not parallax his background at all.
Graphics: 6.5
Not much in the way of custom sprites. I can't tell if he made the background, but its really nice to look at. I can only pat him on the back for having used good sprites that meshed well together in the scene.
Ideas: 6.5
Take notes from this guy. Even though not much happened, at least it wasn't just Mario laying waste to his foes. That was just part of it. There was a balance of Mario interacting with some elements and just observing things, along with some random junk floating by. It wasn't totally stupid random, and nothing was being shoved down my throat. It was just a weird, calm experience.
Sounds: 4.5 (not counted)
Like Oddboy, just enough for an audible experience, but there was slightly less obvious sound choice, which was good as it provided something interesting that still fit. I also found the music choice unexpected and really nice.
Final Tally: 21 (yet sadly uncounted due to disqualification)

Dr Mange
Disqualified
Yeah, then there's this... thing...
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/0dc3da4dc16d927d7f8c5689cb517896
I can only give a link to see it because there is no preloader and it plays obnoxious sounds.
Animation: 0.5
Well, there was animation. It was also the most horrible piece of shit I've ever seen.
Graphics: 0.5
??????
Ideas: 0.5
I can't even classify what I saw.
Sounds: 0.5 (not counted)
The only audio was Linkin Park music and... strongpunch.wav.
Final Tally: 1.5
How the hell did he break every single rule.

While seven entries aren't really much, its more than I could have asked for. I'm sure we'll have more complex challenges in the future involving more people, making my tasks as a judge exceedingly difficult. When that happens, I will blame all of you for being the assholes you are. Congratulations Leocartoon, enjoy your stupid hat. Until next time, thank you all for helping to complete the first ever Spritas challenge, future assholes.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

The Long Drop (JUDGMENT) Fzero%20death%20race
Blackleafe
Blackleafe
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 1322
Registration date : 2011-06-01

The Long Drop (JUDGMENT) Empty Re: The Long Drop (JUDGMENT)

on 1/2/2012, 6:05 am
@Mr Lange wrote:
Dr Mange
Disqualified
Yeah, then there's this... thing...
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/0dc3da4dc16d927d7f8c5689cb517896
I can only give a link to see it because there is no preloader and it plays obnoxious sounds.
Animation: 0.5
Well, there was animation. It was also the most horrible piece of shit I've ever seen.
Graphics: 0.5
??????
Ideas: 0.5
I can't even classify what I saw.
Sounds: 0.5 (not counted)
The only audio was Linkin Park music and... strongpunch.wav.
Final Tally: 1.5
How the hell did he break every single rule.

HAHAHHAH OMFG ROFL LMAO LOL oh god you rly made my day lol!
The Long Drop (JUDGMENT) 1317615663001

___________________________________________________________________________________________

The Long Drop (JUDGMENT) Nimeta12
Leo
Leo
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23

on 1/2/2012, 6:47 am
lolwut

You can't be serious right?
I won?

Okay, that's nice. Although it's probably Pac that will win the prize, right? Because I cannot accept it and such.

Oh yeah.
Animation: 7
The animation was well managed and consistent. The actions were accentuated and easy to understand. However, every motion was very blatantly raw tweens and showed straight lines everywhere (the shell particles, while good detail, looked awful in motion).
Haha, sorry for that Lange. I know it was noticeable lol
I tried to do a few other complex motions in later anims so yeah, that was because I'm stupid.
Also, the lack of any parallax severely hurt the animation given that it was meant to show a long vertical drop. There were only two planes of motion, the immediate foreground and and infinite distance backdrop image that never showed motion. As such it was very difficult to get a sense of motion other than looking at the clouds, which apparently only exist right in front of the camera.
The clouds were again a stupid error I made. I recognize them.
As for the bg. I'm sure I made it move (even if it was 1px per frame), but something might have happened. I should also have added a few more stuff in the bg.

Graphics: 7.5
I see some custom spriting here and there. The visual effects were handled well. The background image is well made and nice to look at.
Thanks. However there were more edits than customs here. The customs are mostly on the Koopas and that....um big thingy that Mario jumped from.
The portal effects were awful.
I knew I should've chosen other effects for the portal!

I'm also taking notes about the other reviews you made.

But don't worry, most of the stuff you noted here have been exterminated, I'm not making the same errors (hopefully) and I probably improved.

Thanks for the reviews.

EDIT : Wait a minute.
Weren't we supposed to get medals and such? If so, I want my gold one : DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
SXR123
SXR123
Number of posts : 11630
Registration date : 2010-03-07
https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

on 1/2/2012, 12:14 pm
I wish I had did this Sad

congrats leo! you deserve it!

The Long Drop (JUDGMENT) Accelerator_signature_by_kyuubi03-d3aqkga

ADOPT A CHAO!!
(figuratively speaking of course)
Leo
Leo

on 1/2/2012, 12:40 pm
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. My first gold medal : DDDDDDDDDDDDDD
SXR123
SXR123

on 1/2/2012, 12:45 pm
Leo is so boss that he gets a medal without even winning a battle

ADOPT A CHAO!!
Leo
Leo

on 1/2/2012, 12:51 pm
But I won, what are you talking about.
SXR123
SXR123

on 1/2/2012, 1:04 pm
this is a CHALLENGE not a battle : D

ADOPT A CHAO!!
Anonymous

on 1/2/2012, 1:32 pm
@Mr Lange wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, after my grueling judgment, the first Spritas challenge comes to a close. You all did a good job. Be happy with your efforts and see them as part of your journey of improvement. This first challenge was kind of a test run though because we've never done this before, so cut me some slack as I do my best job judging your animations. As you can see, for this time around, I've rated Animation, Graphics, and Ideas as 1 through 10 scores, which are tallied together making a max possible score of 30, which you all shamefully failed to reach. I also rate Sound for the sake of a full review, but that score is not counted for this challenge. Anyway, lots of good, lots of gripes. Here they are.

Shadowwalker
3rd Place (TIE)
Spoiler:
This animation suffered for exactly the same reasons Pacboy's animation suffered. This was also a scrambled hysteria of unwatchable headdache, yet a little more so. The tweens were sticking out like a startled elephant in a library. According to the parallax, Peach and the audience are a million miles away. I had to watch this several times just to understand what was happening. I can only praise that a lot of... "effort"... was put into this.
Graphics: 7
Very clearly Shadowwalker was wielding a sword he could not carry. The graphics, while very nice, were sometimes handled badly. I see some custom spriting, and I enjoyed some of the unique appealing bits (eg the magnification strips at the beginning) but it doesn't really make up for the train wreck of images flying everywhere. Sun flares do not occur in front of solid objects, which happened at the end. Other than that, I have to credit the completeness of the scene, which didn't really lack anything essential. It was brimming with bells and whistles.
Uh... well, when I finally figured out what all was happening, I was able to safely say the ideas aren't bad. By that I mean they're decent. There was some generic uninvolved fighting against aerial foes, and the whole scene ended with Mario slingshotting from a victory flag, randomly killing Bowser. I mostly enjoyed how an original powerup concept was set aside for this animation, and a fitting one at that.
Sound: 6 (not counted)
It was ok. I mean, sounds were placed decently (from what I can interpret anyway). However it was mostly a fat stream of noise and clipping. None of this was helped by that infernal beeping through the entire animation, which had no effort put into softening it or preventing it from being very distracting. On top of this, it was mixed down to mono, probably on swf export. so all of the already shit noise was squashed into the music. To put it stupidly, SHOOM SHOOM SHOOOOM SHOOM SHOOOOM SHOOM

Um... Everything`s alright, i guess. The sound... Well yea, that`s my weak point. But, there`s one thing i don`t get. Why did you rate animation so low?
Still man, thanks for the time and criticism, hopefully i`ll improve in the future MORE than my LAST animation.

And um, Leo.. *shakes hands* Congratulations man; The best man won, clearly. I commend you for that. I really do.

Last edited by exorz15 on 1/2/2012, 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
SXR123
SXR123

on 1/2/2012, 1:33 pm
fail quote failed.

ADOPT A CHAO!!
Anonymous

on 1/2/2012, 1:34 pm
There, are you HAPPY now?!
Leaf
Leaf
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-02-27
https://www.facebook.com/TJTrollberry

on 1/2/2012, 2:30 pm
You seem angry bro.

Sword Gradients with Leaf c:
The Long Drop (JUDGMENT) Awkwar10
The Long Drop (JUDGMENT) Pikach11
5h0ck
5h0ck
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 7620
Registration date : 2010-09-08
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJMXtpQUTAA2kNWj_dwWnAhttps://twitter.com/abxelic

on 1/2/2012, 2:56 pm
shouldn't this be in teh hall of fame or somethin?

The Long Drop (JUDGMENT) Ichigo10
Leo
Leo

on 1/2/2012, 2:57 pm
I don't know.

Moving this just in case.
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 12956
Registration date : 2008-11-18
https://www.youtube.com/user/Granadicohttps://www.twitch.tv/granadico/profile

on 1/2/2012, 3:02 pm
You get that measly trophy for a challenge? You would think you get a bigger one then even the Animation of the Week for this

The Long Drop (JUDGMENT) Granadico made by Knux184

We can learn from the past
But those days are gone
We can hope for the future
But there may not be one
-Mike Portnoy "A Change of Seasons"
5h0ck
5h0ck
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 7620
Registration date : 2010-09-08
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJMXtpQUTAA2kNWj_dwWnAhttps://twitter.com/abxelic

on 1/2/2012, 3:25 pm
he also got money and a hat so it cancels out the size of the medal

The Long Drop (JUDGMENT) Ichigo10
Leo
Leo

on 1/2/2012, 3:26 pm
As I've said, I probably won't be getting the prize.
Anonymous

on 1/2/2012, 3:51 pm
So, um Pac gets it then right?
Leo
Leo

on 1/2/2012, 3:53 pm
Yeah, probably it's that.
Eric
Eric
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2008-10-20

on 1/2/2012, 4:02 pm
I dunno what to do with the prize thing.
Also i wouldn't mind making another trophy but considering the system I had to improvise with on the trophies, god that's a lot of work.

Watch your ass.
The Long Drop (JUDGMENT) Banned1a7c7e438gif
Leo
Leo

on 1/2/2012, 4:07 pm
Just send the prize to Pac (or someone who can get it) I don't want this anyway : D
Eric
Eric
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2008-10-20

on 1/2/2012, 4:10 pm
@Leo wrote:Just send the prize to Pac (or someone who can get it) I don't want this anyway : D
Take it you poor bastard

Watch your ass.
The Long Drop (JUDGMENT) Banned1a7c7e438gif
BlitznBurst
BlitznBurst
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 4898
Registration date : 2011-01-15

on 1/2/2012, 4:12 pm
inb4fanrage about Pac Boy losing.

Because it's bound to happen, really.

The Long Drop (JUDGMENT) UZ3PNb5
Leo
Leo

on 1/2/2012, 4:14 pm
How do you want me to get it anyway
Kane
Kane
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 1691
Registration date : 2011-03-09

on 1/2/2012, 4:21 pm
@Leo wrote:How do you want me to get it anyway

He's going to send it to your address... xD
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum