Go down
Clovis15
Clovis15
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-16

My First Real Book, "The Vagrant's Tale" - Page 2 Empty Re: My First Real Book, "The Vagrant's Tale"

on 11/20/2011, 12:12 am
Actually, its a fairly serious story centering on themes of bigotry and taught hatred. There are moments throughout where its also geniunely funny, but they are not the entirety of the story. When he asked for a sample from the first chapter, I tried to choose something catchy that stood well by itself without any context.
Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 13141
Registration date : 2009-03-28

My First Real Book, "The Vagrant's Tale" - Page 2 Empty Re: My First Real Book, "The Vagrant's Tale"

on 11/20/2011, 12:48 am
Look at this guy ignore me... :C

___________________________________________________________________________________________

My First Real Book, "The Vagrant's Tale" - Page 2 Purple11

[The Return]
Clovis15
Clovis15
Spritan
Spritan

on 11/20/2011, 1:10 am
TO PATT:

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to ignore you there. I would love to help you with getting a book, but I currently don't even have a job of my own right ow. I am currently in exactly the same moneyless situation as you are, but possibly worse. I currently have College loans I still have to somehow find a way to pay off.
Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator

on 11/20/2011, 1:10 am
Didn't they mail you like 30 copies? D:

___________________________________________________________________________________________

[The Return]
Clovis15
Clovis15
Spritan
Spritan

on 11/20/2011, 1:17 am
No, a new copy is only ever printed each and every time someone orders the book. What you're thinking about is a Vanity Printer, where you have to a lot of books ordered up front and then you're responsible for selling them. Now while I CAN ordered books to sell in person myself, rather than just selling them through Amazon and Createspace, I currently do not have the cash to afford that with. It's at times like this that I really wish I was still at my old job at Wal-Mart.
Clovis15
Clovis15
Spritan
Spritan

on 11/20/2011, 1:25 am
UPDATE: Okay, it's 3 books that I've sold now.
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 12956
Registration date : 2008-11-18
https://www.youtube.com/user/Granadicohttps://www.twitch.tv/granadico/profile

on 11/20/2011, 2:35 am
They print one each time? That seems like it'd be a huge hassle for whoever is printing.

My First Real Book, "The Vagrant's Tale" - Page 2 Granadico made by Knux184

We can learn from the past
But those days are gone
We can hope for the future
But there may not be one
-Mike Portnoy "A Change of Seasons"
Clovis15
Clovis15
Spritan
Spritan

on 11/20/2011, 3:00 am
The entire system is computer automated, so each order made gets added to the queue of books that need to be printed. When the Print on Demand service gets a lot of orders, from various different books, it can take much longer for any particular book ordered in that time frame to be ready. That its fully computer automated should ideally mean nothing ever goes wrong... but I have heard stories. Someone once got a book with pages from an entirely different book inside it. So it's a good thing Amazon and Createspace will both let you return a book in the first 30 days if something is wrong with it.
Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator

on 11/20/2011, 2:38 pm
When I get some cash on the card, I'll buy one. ; )

[The Return]
Clovis15
Clovis15
Spritan
Spritan

on 11/20/2011, 3:22 pm
Wahoo! Thanks! When you read it, be sure to let me know what you thought of it.
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 20161
Registration date : 2010-09-15

on 11/20/2011, 8:03 pm
Good job. Cool.

My First Real Book, "The Vagrant's Tale" - Page 2 Ping10
@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
Clovis15
Clovis15
Spritan
Spritan

on 11/27/2011, 8:56 pm
Huzzah, I've now sold 9 (in total) so far!
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan

on 11/27/2011, 9:05 pm
*wonders about cover illustration*

@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
SXR123
SXR123
Number of posts : 11630
Registration date : 2010-03-07
https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

on 11/27/2011, 9:30 pm
if I had some cash, I'd give this a read.

My First Real Book, "The Vagrant's Tale" - Page 2 Accelerator_signature_by_kyuubi03-d3aqkga

ADOPT A CHAO!!
(figuratively speaking of course)
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan

on 11/28/2011, 12:47 am
^ I have the cash but it's for my buddy.

If he wants to wait until I catch up on the bill he's given me then I can buy this Very Happy!

Clovis15
Clovis15
Spritan
Spritan

on 11/28/2011, 1:28 am
I can definitely wait for a sale, the gun is no longer to the back of my head like it used to be. I have finally made enough sales to cover the initial costs of getting it up on Amazon, money which I didn't really have when I spent it. There wasn't exactly much of a choice in that regard, it was important to me that I get the book published before my mom died of cancer (and right now she's not guaranteed to make it until Christmas).

Anywyas, my current big project right now is to finish up CTU-23 and get that out.

Also, what were you wondering about the cover? I will try to answer any questions you have to the best of my ability.
SXR123
SXR123
Number of posts : 11630
Registration date : 2010-03-07
https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

on 11/28/2011, 5:18 pm
@Clovis15 wrote:it was important to me that I get the book published before my mom died of cancer (and right now she's not guaranteed to make it until Christmas).

well that's kind of a downer...

My First Real Book, "The Vagrant's Tale" - Page 2 Accelerator_signature_by_kyuubi03-d3aqkga

ADOPT A CHAO!!
(figuratively speaking of course)
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 12956
Registration date : 2008-11-18
https://www.youtube.com/user/Granadicohttps://www.twitch.tv/granadico/profile

on 11/28/2011, 5:53 pm
Yeah i was about to say that. Sorry for your soon to be loss :\
So is there like an "In memory of..." near the front of the book?

My First Real Book, "The Vagrant's Tale" - Page 2 Granadico made by Knux184

We can learn from the past
But those days are gone
We can hope for the future
But there may not be one
-Mike Portnoy "A Change of Seasons"
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan

on 11/28/2011, 8:12 pm
Oh, lol. Well.. I was wondering if you made it.

Hey can you share the first few sentences of the beginning chapter?
@SXR123 wrote:
@Clovis15 wrote:it was important to me that I get the book published before my mom died of cancer (and right now she's not guaranteed to make it until Christmas).

well that's kind of a downer...
...I was going to say that.

Clovis15
Clovis15
Spritan
Spritan

on 11/28/2011, 11:44 pm
There is nothing good about Cancer... however, in regards to dying fast and dying slowly, dying slowly gives those around someone to have time to come to terms with it before it happens. That said, it also means that person has to suffer far longer before they go. I've long come to accept that this is going to happen, but I don't like that this means she also has more suffering - and it will keep getting worse along the way - before it ends.

As for the cover itself, it was done by an artist by the name of Beth Alvarez. She is someone I've known online since 1998 from the Harvest Moon section of the ancient forums that Nintendo used to run waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day when the Internet was still young (the WWW as the public knows it began in 1996, before that it wasn't public like it is now). That said, the fee to pay for it was actually covered by a CTU fan that wishes to remain anonymous (still, it probably would have cost a lot more if I wasn't a personal friend of hers).

Didn't I already post a different segment from chapter 1 here? Well, okay, I need to build a look inside preview for Amazon that lets people see chapter 1 all the same... so it won't really hurt. Here you go:

“But, Sir, how can we just give up? Are we not tasked by God with educating the infidels?”

“We simply can’t afford to keep pushing this campaign any longer; fortunately, for us, the situation seems to be mutual.”

“No, clearly this must be a test of our faith! If we press now, when all is made to seem as if it is without hope, surely the Lord will shine down upon us and grant us our success in bringing enlightenment to…”

“Jysalef, please just shut up… That’s an order!”

“…”

Chapter 1: “Of Better Temperament”

As he sat there, still uncomfortably covered in a most unlikable mixed soup - of both his own sweat, and fluids that had previously belonged to ex would-be local trouble causers - the now vagrant thought for but a moment to times when he had formerly been in the employ of the greatest military that this land had formed for what was supposed to have been the most noble of all causes. But those days – when he would have been sitting after a fight in the military barracks, with the commander he used to look up to without question – were long past; no, these days - after a fight of far less bard worthy proportions - he would find himself sitting in a poorly lit tavern that was assuredly less clean than military specifications would have allowed.

NOTE: Every chapter in the book has a pre-chapter element. Some are letters and essays written by people in the universe. Some are poems from the world. Others are excerpts from ecyclopedias from the world. A few them of them, like this one, happen to be flashback conversations.

Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator

on 11/30/2011, 7:45 pm
@Clovis15 wrote:

“But, Sir, how can we just give up? Are we not tasked by God with educating the infidels?”

“We simply can’t afford to keep pushing this campaign any longer; fortunately, for us, the situation seems to be mutual.”

“No, clearly this must be a test of our faith! If we press now, when all is made to seem as if it is without hope, surely the Lord will shine down upon us and grant us our success in bringing enlightenment to…”

“Jysalef, please just shut up… That’s an order!”

“…”

Chapter 1: “Of Better Temperament”

As he sat there, still uncomfortably covered in a most unlikable mixed soup - of both his own sweat, and fluids that had previously belonged to ex would-be local trouble causers - the now vagrant thought for but a moment to times when he had formerly been in the employ of the greatest military that this land had formed for what was supposed to have been the most noble of all causes. But those days – when he would have been sitting after a fight in the military barracks, with the commander he used to look up to without question – were long past; no, these days - after a fight of far less bard worthy proportions - he would find himself sitting in a poorly lit tavern that was assuredly less clean than military specifications would have allowed.

NOTE: Every chapter in the book has a pre-chapter element. Some are letters and essays written by people in the universe. Some are poems from the world. Others are excerpts from ecyclopedias from the world. A few them of them, like this one, happen to be flashback conversations.

Now that is pretty dope.

[The Return]
Clovis15
Clovis15
Spritan
Spritan

on 12/7/2011, 12:53 am
Thank you, I'm glad you like what you see. I haven't had much in the way of feedback on the book just yet.
Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator

on 12/7/2011, 7:15 pm
I've been getting pretty weak pay checks, (last one was $75, this weeks should be about $67) so I might be a little late with buying your book... :\

[The Return]
Clovis15
Clovis15
Spritan
Spritan

on 12/14/2011, 5:51 am
It's okay, I understand bad pay periods (and those are definitely some seriously bad pay periods there). I do wonder whart your job is, though. It must not be retail, as Christmas is when they run you ragged in retail (although it does in turn mean good hours, but you pretty much kill yourself in the process).
Leo
Leo
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23

on 12/14/2011, 8:51 am
He works for Burger King.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum