Go down
Travis
Travis
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Final Fantasy 7:Dirge of Cerberus Review Empty Final Fantasy 7:Dirge of Cerberus Review

on 7/13/2011, 4:54 pm
The first actual game released in the Final Fantasy 7 Compilation, Dirge of Cerberus was a TPS or Third Person Shooter. The game revolved around the character of Vincent Valentine who was actually a hidden character in the original game. Vincent's priority mission is to take down a new military group that has arisen from the depths of Midgar (Final Fantasy 7's original starting city) and within this group are several extremely powerful adversaries. The group of soldiers is known as DG Soldiers or DeepGround Soldiers. The reason for their name is because that is where they are from. Back when Midgar's controller, the Shinra Power & Electric Company, was at the top it was doing military experiments and ended up housing soldiers deep underneath the city of Midgar. At the end of the Final Fantasy 7 game, Meteor basically closes all of the ways out. Vincent must fight these foes as they attempt to end the world and he must also fight a feral power within himself that is apart of a deep mystery and is connected to the very essence of the planet's struggle.

So, let's get started. This game, like all others will be judged on the following qualities:
1. Gameplay
2. Characters
3. Setting/Pacing
4. Music
5. Graphics
6. Story
7. Multiplayer Bonus Points
8. Overall

1. Gameplay 7/10

The game is a mix between fast gun shooting and slow travelling. The former is more prominent and you will find yourself button mashing throughout this game. Overall you just travel from area to area making your way to the designated point of interest. There are some special items to find although there isn't many places to travel. You won't be able to backtrack to certain levels either. After you get done with an entire area, you are done with it unless you choose to replay that chapter.

There is a shop system where you can buy upgrades to your weapons and throughout your game you will acquire these guns minus the upgrades. These classes include the normal ideas for guns in a game like this i.e. snipers, machine guns, hand guns.

You can also pair up materia with your weapons. Overall, the materia becomes rather useless and you may only find yourself using it to see what it looks like, nothing more.

The game also includes a nice replay mode that is actually difficult. It might be overly difficult once you get to the snipers missions, but overall the experience is satisfying to defeat.

Where this gameplay lacks is that it is a bit challenging to pick it up and play. You may find yourself getting worked by your enemies until you get a good hang of the game, but after you get the hang of it you are good to go.

The boss fights can all be a bit challenging, but the system you are presented with basically lets you restart right where you left off if you die.

When it comes to gameplay this game is a bit rough, but it isn't awful or broken by any means.

2. Characters 6/10

The characters in this game are exactly like other installments of the FF7. They are dark and act like the world is against them. This isn't exactly bad because the world they live in... is in awful shape. Either way, Vincent complains throughout the whole game about the tragedy of his love life and how it has affected him so. It gets rather annoying, mainly because he seemed more dark and mysterious... basically someone that doesn't let his feelings show.

The support characters are awful. Reeve is normal, he does a fine job of acting his part. Shalua is one of the worst characters I have ever seen. She isn't significant at all and it's like teeth grinding on a chalkboard when she is on the screen. Yuffie is just a service to her character as a whole and is merely there for face time, despite that she pulls off an okay and expected performance. Other than the three support characters the normal cast for Final Fantasy 7 makes rare appearances and it's sort of sad. Their significance in this game is cut to abysmal proportions and it hurts their overall effect. Despite this their returns are welcomed, the only character who truly gets shafted is Red XIII because of some BS excuse about rendering fur causing to much memory usage (sounds more like laziness to me).

Anyway the main antagonists are Azul, Rosso, Shelke, Nero, and Weiss. All of these antagonists are terrible and Shelke is by far the worst of the group because of her annoying voice acting and her stone slate mentality. Her emotionless attitude is only matched in stupidity by Shalua's.

Anyway you look at it, the characters would stand fairly well on their own if it wasn't for the antagonists and Shalua. I've never seen such awful character design or characterization in a video game.

3. Setting/Pacing 5/10

The pacing starts out very well in this game. Despite the fact that Kalm (The first city you play in) is in no way shape or form as big as they make it out to be. Of course maybe the city has grown since the 3 years passed since Final Fantasy 7's story. It could also be attributed by Midgar civs not just branching out into the city of Edge.

Then comes an area that IS bullshit. When you reach the Shinra Mansion in Nibelheim it gets overly ridiculous because that place WAS NOT THAT BIG, no matter what you say. They really made it a huge place, but either way I have gotten past worse pacing before.

Other than little quirks like that the pacing does an okay job, but near the end of the game you will find yourself wanting to get past the area. When you get to the hidden Sector 0 you will quickly begin to wonder "When the fuck does it end." or "WHEN AM I GOING TO GET TO THE END!"

The settings do look nice, but as I said, they don't correlate to well with the series and when you reach DeepGround you will wonder if Meteor ever actually hit Midgar. It makes little sense and it is just appauling that they let this shit fly and they actually slapped the Final Fantasy 7 brand on it.

4. Music 5/10

Sadly, the music here is lacking. I found no tracks to be memorable and there are two reasons for this. The first reason is the fact that Nobuo Uematsu DID NOT compose the music for this game... that's a damn shame to be honest. The other reason is that the composer, Masashi Hamauzu, did not create one of his better albums here.

It is a ridiculous injustice when you look at the Final Fantasy 7 OST and then see the atrocity created here. This brings up another point and that is the fact that Square-Enix keep deciding to add professional musicians tracks to the games, in this case it was by Gaekt and I am just sick of this. I will say though that Final Fantasy XIII's original japanese song was fairly good, but they ruined it with Leona Lewis... Back on topic, as I said the OST of this game is not memorable and really should have been composed much differently.

After taking in the OST it's apparent that it's taken the route of all shooter games OSTs and become a pile of trash that will be outdone in quality and memorality (That a word?) in at least a year.

5. Graphics 8/10

The graphics are fairly well done. They are reminiscent of the Advent Children movie and the CGI scenes are just as beautiful as the movie. Some enemies that make appearances are actually enemies from the original game and they are done very well and true to the original. The detail on the areas is decent for a video game and in some spots it is beautiful.

You won't find yourself immersed in great graphics, but rather graphics that are up to par. It's not impressive, but it surely doesn't disappoint. You will be happy with them and it's as simple as that.

6. Story 2/10

The biggest downfall of Dirge of Cerberus is it's storyline. In all games, at least in my opinion, the storyline and gameplay should be the major focuses unless the game is a mini game or something similar to a sports game. The developers made MAJOR KEY MISTAKES in this game. They gave us added story in the time before the game that makes little to no sense. They made the character of Vincent Valentine and Chaos overly significant to the point of vomiting. They created an impressive area deep underneath Midgar that should not be there and really makes little sense. They added in a plot device which makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE. They created an "end of the world" idea that is worthless and makes no sense (Think about that for a second... really).

We are going to break EACH of these down one by one, so let's start with the retconned story that takes places even before Final Fantasy 7. Originally we thought Vincent Valentine was a turk (Basically Shinra's Secret Service) who was just assigned to oversee the protection of scientists in Nibelheim. Eventually Vincent is almost killed and saved with the newly invented protomateria which allows him to transform himself into Chaos. What is killing Vincent is Jenova cells that Hojo (A mad scientist and the father of the original antagonist of FF7) injected him with. When playing through the Final Fantasy 7 story, it is thought that the Jenova cells allows Vincent to transform. Overall the idea that his limit breaks come from another mythical materia is just the epitomy of stupidity.

This leads on to the significance of Vincent and his limit break Chaos. Basically we are told that Chaos will eventually lead an all powerful entity to the heavens and cause the end of the world. Vincent was a secret character in the original game and other than him knowing the antagonist's mother he wasn't THAT integral to the story. In the large world that Final Fantasy 7 has there is no reason that there should be something like this. They litterally made Vincent THE MOST IMPORTANT MAN IN THE WORLD in this game and that just isn't right.

Moving on to the area underneath Midgar known as DeepGround you will quickly see how much this city doesn't make sense. This game takes place three years after the original Final Fantasy 7. These soldiers lived underneath Midgar without food or water for 3 years... During the Advent Children movie when both Cloud and Sephiroth tear Midgar another new asshole, why the hell don't they come up then? Cloud is also living in Midgar during this movie, why doesn't he get contacted by one of them... the explanation is that they are sealed in DeepGround.

During the Kalm incident we learn that these DG soldiers have helicopters... then the question arises "WHERE THE FUCK DID THEY GET THOSE?" Final Fantasy 7's aviation was fairly limited as it was and there are MANY helicopters in this army's arsenal. Think about it, in the original game there is: The Highwind, Tiny Bronco, The Gelnika, and at the most 3 helicopters. Where the hell did all of these choppers come from?

Then there is an added plot device that makes no sense. Hojo who is mentioned earlier is actually controlling DeepGround's forces by possessing their leader through something called a network. It is well known that Hojo was dead long before this, killed in the original game. This idea of a network is not even touched on in any of the other installments and the entire idea of adding in something as complicated as this is in just for convenience is quite laughable.

Lastly, they created an all powerful entity that was never touched on in the original game. They really couldn't stop pouring on the bullshit here could they? After all of the stuff we have learned, we sure as hell should have learned about this all powerful entity back during the original game.

So, let's think about this... everything above can be used to describe this game in one word... or two if you prefer. Anyway that word is "Bullshit." Square has been notorious for absolutely ruining it's original stories with sequels and this is ABSOLUTELY NO exception, but this has litterally torn the canon story of Final Fantasy 7 a new asshole and really... it is an embarrasment to the original game. It is really sad to see the developers butcher the original game to beyond belief.

7. Multiplayer (Bonus Points)

This portion would normally be dedicated to the possibility to gain extra points or lose points, but DoC does not have multiplayer.

8. Overall 3/10

There are several redeeming qualities of this game, such as the graphics, but honestly nothing can make up for an awful storyline. That is the case here. Only the biggest of FF7 fanboys would stand by this game and they are some of the most untrustworthy people as it is. Realist FF7 fans like myself will be honest and say that this game is an embarrasment to the franchise and it's sad for me to say that about one of, if not the, greatest game of all time.

The developers caked on the bullshit and really took everything out of proportion. They added in terrible plot devices that could be outwritten by little kids. It's a severe travesty when I can say "that makes no sense and is complete and utter bullshit..." about a game with a legitimate series title slapped on it.

Square-Enix has obviously ran out of ideas for the series, but they know damn well that anything with the title of "Final Fantasy 7" slapped on it's ass will sell like wildfire to Final Fantasy 7 fans around the globe and this includes me. It's actually the same business tactic used by companies like Activision, but Square at least has the dignity to give their games at least a year or two to sit before announcing a sequel or prequel... well other than Final Fantasy XIII-2. Let's just hope that this installment hasn't sunk the ship so much that people won't bother buying the next installment. But let's also hope that the next installment is the cap off of the series... Or a remake of the original, but then again you fear that they could ruin that to because of how Square operates.

Anyway, although this IS an awful game, I did enjoy the ride and that's usually the case with games I choose to play, why is that? Because I do research and make sure a game is going to be something enjoyable before I buy it. That doesn't neccessarily mean the game is good, Final Fantasy 8 was bad, but hell I enjoyed the ride it presented me.

So, would I want you to buy this game? If you are a fan of Final Fantasy 7 this game is an absolute must buy because it DOES continue the Final Fantasy 7 storyline, but you will have a sour taste in your mouth.

So when I think of a description for this game I can only think of "Bullshit...", which is quite sad.

Last edited by Travis on 7/14/2011, 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Finishing up the review.)

___________________________________________________________________________________________

The Truth About Gamestop ||Modern Warfare 2 Sucks... Proof
Final Fantasy 7:Dirge of Cerberus Review 3334984
Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 13141
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Final Fantasy 7:Dirge of Cerberus Review Empty Re: Final Fantasy 7:Dirge of Cerberus Review

on 7/13/2011, 10:46 pm
I will respond, whence you are done. ^^

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Final Fantasy 7:Dirge of Cerberus Review Purple11

[The Return]
Travis
Travis
Spritan
Spritan

Final Fantasy 7:Dirge of Cerberus Review Empty Re: Final Fantasy 7:Dirge of Cerberus Review

on 7/14/2011, 12:14 am
The review is up.

Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 12956
Registration date : 2008-11-18
https://www.youtube.com/user/Granadicohttps://www.twitch.tv/granadico/profile

on 7/14/2011, 1:10 am
wait so you posted this before you were done writing it? lolwut

Sad such a harsh review, i liked this game, but i only played through it once cuz our PS2 got jacked D: cant' remember everything.
Glad though you put so much thought and length into this, unlike the reviews i'm used to on GameFAQs

Final Fantasy 7:Dirge of Cerberus Review Granadico made by Knux184

We can learn from the past
But those days are gone
We can hope for the future
But there may not be one
-Mike Portnoy "A Change of Seasons"
Travis
Travis
Spritan
Spritan

on 7/14/2011, 2:04 pm
@Granadico wrote:wait so you posted this before you were done writing it? lolwut

Sad such a harsh review, i liked this game, but i only played through it once cuz our PS2 got jacked D: cant' remember everything.
Glad though you put so much thought and length into this, unlike the reviews i'm used to on GameFAQs

I have many reasons to hate this game and being such a big fan of the original Final Fantasy, I know pretty much everything there is to know, so when they tried to make all of the crap they put in here canon and make sense, I was pretty pissed.

It's sad when you really think about how much they butchered this game's story. A lot of review publications like IGN, Gamespot, etc. also agree with me here.

This game is just bad...

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum