Go down
Travis
Travis
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-07-11

The Kinect: Is it viable? Empty The Kinect: Is it viable?

on 7/11/2011, 10:49 pm
Back in 2006 Nintendo unleashed what would start the motion gaming trend. They started with, what would become, a new phenomenon of player interactivity and the rise of more casual gamers. The entire thought process was allowing people to become more involved with the game and getting the player closer than ever with their game.

Sony and Microsoft would eventually have to follow suit as it's the name of the game in the industry. Playstation released a very similar motion control device called the Playstation Move. It was revealed in 2009.

The common denominator in the Wii and Move's technologies was the fact that the player STILL had a controller. Microsoft had the same idea, but went for a different approach. They abandoned the controller altogether and made the notion that the player IS the controller.

The idea was new, fresh, and was radically different from it's competition. Instead of going the same route as it's counterparts, Microsoft decided to go with, what seemed like a step further. They completely took out what gamers, had for years, used as the tool to control the game.

But, by removing the controller did Microsoft dig the new project it's own early grave? Lionhead studios CEO Peter Molyneux, the developers that created the Fable series, has firmly put almost all possible effort into making the Kinect the next step for all games. With technical demos like Project Milo and the newest Fable game, it seems Lionhead is trying their hardest to make a push for the Kinect's viability.

The problem with this... is the viability just isn't there. Kinect, much like the Wii, is very suitable for simple sports games like Bowling, Table Tennis, Volleyball, and etc. Where the Kinect really falls flat is in the advanced controls region. Advaned controls are means for turning, sprinting, and reloading yout gun in an FPS; choosing your attack, using items, and moving about the world in an RPG.

The problem with the Kinect... is that it lacks the commands to pull off, fast and seamless advanced controls. Shouting at your TV to turn left or strafe is not intuitive... it's archaic. There is a reason that the Kinect only seems to get rail games as well as mini-games released for it.

It has been quite some time since the Kinect's release. Why hasn't there been a Call of Duty game that utilizes the Kinect to play? The Wii has Call of Duty Reflex and there are/were plenty of commercials for Killzone 3 for the Playstation Move.

When we think of a popular games we seem to think of Final Fantasy, Call of Duty, Halo, Bioshock, Street Fighter, and etc. The lack of a controller makes all of these games impossible to play.

There just isn't a fast and effective way to pull this off with Kinect and that is why it is doomed and stuck to be a mini-game paradise while the Playstation Move and Wii, pending motion control technology gets better, will inevitabley become more successful. By having controllers, you can control turning and other movements that are impossible with the Kinect.

The smoke and mirrors act that Kinect is, was never more evident than in Microsoft's E3 2011 show. When EA came on stage it was revealed that the only use for Kinect on their biggest games was voice commands. When Ubisoft came out, we saw what was seemingly a shooter we could use with Kinect. If you looked closely, you saw a static character without any turning or movement. Ubisoft's Kinect experience was only menu navigation, voice commands, and another rail shooter.

When the "new" Xbox experience was put on display, we saw technology that could just as easily been implemented into the microphone that all xbox consoles come packed with. We saw a program that has already been implemented on computers.

When Gears of War 3, one of the most anticipated games this year, had a gameplay demo, the Kinect was nowhere to be found. When Crytek unleashed Ryse's reveal video, we didn't see ANY turning and not a bit of side movement.

The first glimpse of turning we have ever seen for the Kinect was in Forza Motorsport 4, with head tracking. The problem that this brings is that our eyes must still focus on our television and we can not turn our heads comfortably. We also can not set the camera to stay once we have turned and we will always be brought back to the center.

Referenced earlier, Fable: The Journey's E3 demo showed the player being guided on a rail using only their hands to play through the equivalent of a point and click adventure. Everything was already pre-made. There was no choice, there was no exploration. It was a player being moved by the programming and only shooting magic when told to.

When the Star Wars for Kinect was revealed... we saw the first look at turning. It looked like it was scripted, slow, and clunky. It didn't look in the slightest bit smooth. Then we saw the actual player demo. It turned out the movement was indeed scripted. The game was slow and clunky and yet... it was the best the Kinect had shown us up until now.

All of the other games are 2-D games within 3-D environments. You will only be using 2-D movements within a 3-D environment that just begs for more. It's what the Kinect really is and without the use of a controller like the PS Move or Wii, you will never see any advanced movement other than the programmed rail your character is set on.

The idea behind the Kinect was absolutely amazing. It seemed to be the logical next step for motion gaming. What it has turned out to be, is a complete step in the wrong direction. When it is finally realized, that we need a controller for the landmark titles, the Kinect will slowly fade into obscurity.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

The Truth About Gamestop ||Modern Warfare 2 Sucks... Proof
The Kinect: Is it viable? 3334984
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 12956
Registration date : 2008-11-18
https://www.youtube.com/user/Granadicohttps://www.twitch.tv/granadico/profile

The Kinect: Is it viable? Empty Re: The Kinect: Is it viable?

on 7/11/2011, 11:13 pm
You really typed all that O_o

And yeah, i think only the Wii got motion controls right (excluding PSMove, the bootleg dildo version of the Wii Mote). Though i've never really tried it, it looked sorta stupid to me, and the person doing it looked especially stupid haha

___________________________________________________________________________________________

The Kinect: Is it viable? Granadico made by Knux184

We can learn from the past
But those days are gone
We can hope for the future
But there may not be one
-Mike Portnoy "A Change of Seasons"
Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 13141
Registration date : 2009-03-28

on 7/11/2011, 11:19 pm
I thing this Kinect can be the start of the fall of the Microsoft's gaming console. The Kinect, as you have said, does actually limit games, whilst simultaneously pushing game producers to use it, to try and keep it ongoing and selling. I mean, sure, the Kinect is fine for the Sport Games, but anything else, it just seems unimaginable, and not possible completely. I don't see much of a future with the Kinect, as it will be something simply for the little kids in the family to use for their sport like games, such as dancing, bowling, or boxing, etc. Kinect may have a few months left in the spotlight, but soon I think it will then fade into obscurity, and won't raise it's head again.

I've always loved Sony, don't get me wrong, but when the XBOX came out, I felt very comfortable with the controller. It was just perfect, I mean I loved the Playstation controller, and I loved the Gamecube controller, but the XBOX controller was just perfection for me. It felt like holding the Playstation controller and Gamecube controller at the same time. It was just perfect, I can't explain it any farther. The Kinect seemed like it would be a cool addon for the XBOX 360, something that would bring a new type of gameplay to the console and games to come.

I just hope Microsoft will realize this issue a bit earlier on, rather than later. It would be a pity to see what they've built collapse because of a failed idea, that could have been done at a higher level, if done later on. When the Kinect dies out and they get back to using their original supreme controller, which hopefully will be soon, I think that Microsoft will once again flourish. Although, the Motion will probably be a big contender for them in the future. All in all, I would hate to see the original XBOX controller die off, I love that shit.

The Kinect: Is it viable? Purple11

[The Return]
Travis
Travis
Spritan
Spritan

on 7/12/2011, 12:05 am
@Granadico wrote:You really typed all that O_o

And yeah, i think only the Wii got motion controls right (excluding PSMove, the bootleg dildo version of the Wii Mote). Though i've never really tried it, it looked sorta stupid to me, and the person doing it looked especially stupid haIt'ha

It's actually an article I wrote for a web magazine that is under work right now, I wanted to know what people thought of... my thoughts.

Oh and Patt, the Kinect will indeed be Microsoft's downfall... if it isn't then it will be the fall of the true gamer and the rise of what people call the casual gamer.

Also, Microsoft being the egotistical and stubborn fucks they are, won't ever let the Kinect rest. I watched the E3 conference this year and about 20-30 minutes in of a 2 hour conference. Everything was Kinect exclusive. Nothing is worse than Lionhead studios though... those ignorant bastards think the Kinect is evolution when it is a major step backwards.

I have thought of doing a review show, similar to Spoony because I am a cynical bastard and there is definitely enough stuff for me to hate.

Eric
Eric
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2008-10-20

on 7/12/2011, 12:08 am
I feel that we are progressing, not going down hill. Eventually we will get it right. We're gonna have to go through a bunch of gimmicky stuff before hand but we have to, so that they can progress. When we hit the nail on the head we'll be thanking the Wii and the WiiU and the Kinect (I wont say PSmove because..honestly, it's just a wii with a dildo instead, and I have all 3 7th gen systems, Psmove and Wii. IT's the same). I feel we're only getting closer. I have high optimism for the WiiU, despite your pessimism that I've argued against before Travis.
I do honestly feel, these are all gonna be the building blocks to the greatest creation in the end.

I just want virtual reality already!

Watch your ass.
The Kinect: Is it viable? Banned1a7c7e438gif
Travis
Travis
Spritan
Spritan

on 7/12/2011, 12:12 am
Oh my argument isn't against the WiiU at all. My argument is against the Kinect.

There is no better example of how bad and broken the system is than any of Lionhead Studios creation for it.

I think their new game is called Fable: The Journey.

If you look at the tech demo for that... your player is on a rail and it looks awful, not fun, and worst of all you can't do what I want to do in the world of Fable... explore.

Eric
Eric
Administrator
Administrator

on 7/12/2011, 12:34 am
@Travis wrote:Oh my argument isn't against the WiiU at all. My argument is against the Kinect.

There is no better example of how bad and broken the system is than any of Lionhead Studios creation for it.

If you look at the tech demo for that... your player is on a rail and it looks awful, not fun, and worst of all you can't do what I want to do in the world of Fable... explore.
Well the kinect is revolutionary. The people who tamper with the technology have found out outstanding technological breakthroughs. The Kinect has incredibly potential, the problem is no company is using it right. They're just throwing in kinect for the hell of it.

Watch your ass.
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator

on 7/12/2011, 1:23 am
I think WiiU is close to virtual reality. I mean with the tablet thing you can look around the area in full 3 dimensions, at least that's what they showed in the mini things.

But those days are gone
But there may not be one
Eric
Eric
Administrator
Administrator

on 7/12/2011, 6:09 am
@Granadico wrote:I think WiiU is close to virtual reality. I mean with the tablet thing you can look around the area in full 3 dimensions, at least that's what they showed in the mini things.
Not entirely. In virtual reality your entire world becomes the game, you see nothing but the environment of the game, and if the technology is anything more advanced you can also feel it A LITTLE

Watch your ass.
Travis
Travis
Spritan
Spritan

on 7/12/2011, 10:24 am
@Eric wrote:
@Travis wrote:Oh my argument isn't against the WiiU at all. My argument is against the Kinect.

Well the kinect is revolutionary. The people who tamper with the technology have found out outstanding technological breakthroughs. The Kinect has incredibly potential, the problem is no company is using it right. They're just throwing in kinect for the hell of it.

Yes, but what can they honestly do with it?

I mean honestly, have you seen someone turn with the Kinect? I mean shit, you know if there was a Call of Duty game released on the Kinect that it would sell like wildfire, but there hasn't been and there won't be. The reason is because you just can't turn or run on the Kinect without adding in a controller element and if you do that... you defeat the entire purpose.

Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator

on 7/12/2011, 12:35 pm
Eric, fuck virtual reality. Get off your ass and go explore world~

[The Return]
Travis
Travis
Spritan
Spritan

on 7/12/2011, 1:26 pm
Patt, I will say although I think the Kinect is worthless and a step backwards...

The thought of walking out on the Final Fantasy 6 and 7 world maps and being immersed in it does sound awesome to me.

Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator

on 7/12/2011, 1:28 pm
Yes that would be awesome, but the virtual reality idea wouldn't probably be done for a long time. And I wonder how it will be done.

[The Return]
Travis
Travis
Spritan
Spritan

on 7/12/2011, 1:34 pm
Well if you think about technology it advances on an exponential scale.

Take the generation of Atari to the Playstation. You can see the change. Now look at the Playstation to today.

You can also look at computers in the 90s and their memory capabilities.

It is all possible.

Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator

on 7/12/2011, 1:35 pm
It very is, however I can't really imagine what it would be like to play it.

[The Return]
Leo
Leo
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23

on 7/12/2011, 1:54 pm
If I recall correctly virtual reality is already possible.

I still don't know, but I think I've saw it once D:
Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator

on 7/12/2011, 1:54 pm
Find dat link bruv.

[The Return]
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator

on 7/12/2011, 5:10 pm
I remember at some arcade i seen a Teken game where you wore gloves and shit and fought in the game

But those days are gone
But there may not be one
Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator

on 7/12/2011, 6:43 pm
That would be like the Kinect + the Wii controllers.

[The Return]
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 6082
Registration date : 2009-09-07

on 7/13/2011, 1:59 pm
@Patt wrote:Eric, fuck virtual reality. Get off your ass and go explore world~

Lol. Virtual reality is cool. Never played Kinect before though, you need a certain amount of space to be able to play as well TT_TT
Eric
Eric
Administrator
Administrator

on 7/13/2011, 2:23 pm
@Leo wrote:If I recall correctly virtual reality is already possible.

I still don't know, but I think I've saw it once D:
It is but VERY primitive and unsafe.

Watch your ass.
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 20161
Registration date : 2010-09-15

on 7/13/2011, 2:59 pm
I believe the majority of people look pass this and just focus on how cool that your the controller.

The Kinect: Is it viable? Ping10
@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator

on 7/14/2011, 1:13 am
Just seen Attack of the Show, and a segment was about Kinect and all the crap they could do. They were freaking controlling one of the remote controlled helicopters with it. Don't see how that's viable but its cool

But those days are gone
But there may not be one
Toxic
Toxic
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 5139
Registration date : 2010-10-03

on 8/15/2011, 6:09 pm
Is everyone forgetting the playstation eye...D:
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator

on 8/15/2011, 6:39 pm
Its just a slightly better version of the WiiMote that's more expensive, that looks like a dildo

But those days are gone
But there may not be one
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum