Go down
Red x
Red x
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2010-09-19

About my characters Empty About my characters

on 6/20/2011, 7:38 pm
Um, can I ask something from all of you? Please stop saying that I have to change my characters, their recolors because I want them to be. If people wouldn't bashed/hate them so much, or keep telling me to change them I might. I have trouble doing something if people tell me to do it over and over.

Why did I come here? So people can talk about my characters? While I'll do agree and understand with what your telling me, but I came here to improve with animating. Not my characters. How can I learn if you guys keeps talking about them and how I could change them?

Not why I'm here, I'm here to be a better animator, not to improve my characters. If I do I will on my own, I wanna get better at my videos but how can I when you talk mostly about my characters? Now I'm posting this to avoid trouble in the future. Which I kinda curse because, well ya know I have trouble letting things go.

So I am asking, please stop saying how my characters are recolors and how they can improve, I get it OK? I wanna learn and improve my videos, so can we please do that? I get it and all but it's not why I'm here, can't improve unless you talk about my videos more, not telling me to change my characters.

Their recolors, my characters, part of me. So please stop telling me to change them, I get it. So can I please learn how to improve my videos not my characters? And sorry for this, but better to get it out of the way now then later. I'm not mad, just tired.

EDIT:I'll try to improve my characters when I want too, but I just wanna work on my videos, but can't if you keep telling me to improve my characters. I just wanna work on my videos right now. I might be just overrating, but you get what I mean hopefully.
Timmy
Timmy
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 22
Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-11-08
Location : Windsor Ontario, Canada

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/20/2011, 8:35 pm
Use VG sprites, not recolors, then the animated characters are familiar and the eye is less drawn to the look of the character and more on the movement.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Spoiler:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
BlitznBurst
BlitznBurst
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 21
Number of posts : 4898
Registration date : 2011-01-15
Location : Scotland

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/21/2011, 10:41 am
Learn to take criticism. I hate recolours, personally, because all it takes is two colours and an eraser tool. They take to creativity whatsoever, and no mental capacity is needed. Think about it. If you make a red sonic, change the whole sheet, and claim it my original character do not steal, will you feel anything at all? No, it's a waste of precious brain cells. There's nothing to say b"I made this," no distinguishing features, nothing to set it apart from the thousands of recolours out there. Furthermore, if you recolour sprites people will give you criticism. DEAL WITH IT. Not caring if people like your sprite or not is fine, but just try to take criticism, otherwise people will just keep on bitching about it. You don't like us criticising your characters? Improve them and guess what? They'll stop complaining! Isn't that just amazing?

And you want to improve your animations? SPRITES ARE PART OF YOUR ANIMATIONS. Do you think people will watch your animation if it has the same generic character with generic powers and cliche backstory? Because I certainly don't. If they're mentally challenged, yes. If your sprites are bad, that will have a negative impact on the animation. So don't complain about complaining about your characters and not your animation, because the two go hand-in-hand.

Asa side note, I'm just using Sonic as an example since that's the source of most recolours. I could care less what series your recolour is from and can't be bothered searching.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

About my characters UZ3PNb5
Leo
Leo
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 23
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/21/2011, 11:44 am
Do what Timmy said, man.
If you wanna improve in animation, then forget your recolors and use the VG characters. They're good, you know how to make them act, and people will instantly recognize them.
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 6082
Registration date : 2009-09-07
Location : UK england

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/21/2011, 2:08 pm
Blitz nailed it xD

___________________________________________________________________________________________

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata 1959-2015
Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 25
Number of posts : 13141
Registration date : 2009-03-28

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/21/2011, 4:03 pm
People tell you to change your characters for the better. No one wants you to get shitted on like NG or some shit. Because when you do so, you're going to go there thinking your series is the best thing since jello shots. Like honestly do you want to get good feedback, and not feedback on how to improve your characters? Your series isn't just about your characters, but about the plot, the actual meaning for having a damn series. I don't get why you feel that you need a million and four characters with recolors of other characters. How does that distinguish your characters from any other characters in any other given series...I can understand that you WANT them to be recolors but I don't understand why you would want your personal character to just be a recolor of someone else's work.

If you come here to improve on animating and your characters, then when someone gives you some constructive criticism then fucking use it. No one here wants to bash your characters just for having fun, they just want to get you better. That's why we have this website. To gather sprite animators across the world and get them to improve. There's no need to bash unless the person honestly ignores all the help they receive. As I've said, your series and shit isn't just about your characters, but about the animating and plot. Do you seriously expect to get constructive criticism while using the same recolors that we've told you to change forever? I mean, it's annoying to just see that. It's been the most mainstream annoyance since...Volk...It just doesn't work. It's too hard to watch an animation with those ugly ass fan characters.

This excuse of you saying you're going to use new characters when you want to is the most bullshit thing I've ever heard. I don't get that...that's pure laziness. Next time I make an animation I'll use two squares as different colors and I'll call it part of me and when you guys tell me it's retarded I'll tell you that I want to use squares. Sounds like bullshit. It is. I understand your frustration here, but I don't get why you wouldn't after COUNTLESS times, change your characters. It doesn't make any sense. I hope that you learn that we don't want to just bash you, but get you to improve. Everyone, and I mean everyone improves when they come to this site. They learn how to do things they've wondered how to do, they learn how to fix things they've wondered how to fix. It's the point of this website here, we don't choose to bash everyone for their shitty fan characters. We want them to strive and show that sprites aren't dead. A reason sprites are beginning to die; is these recolors. With recolors, it shows the rest of the animating community that we're so lazy that we can't even sprite our own shit. To any other animator, they look at our work and call us lazy for using sprites, because it doesn't take much to animate sprites. And you have to admit, we do have it pretty easy, we don't have to custom everything, we have most on a sheet for us. I'm not saying we never have to custom, because we've all had to custom or edit ourselves. But that doesn't matter to any other animator. They call us lazy and these recolors only prove that farther.

All in all, I just want to you understand that the bashing isn't to bash you. It's to get you to learn to improve. That's why you joined. No one has the intentions of hurting another animator. We all know the troubles of animating. There's that long slump you get into that takes forever, you get into the grooves where you improve so much. Sometimes you open Flash and you can't even animate something without it looking like you just opened Flash for the first time. We've all done this. But when you come to the Spritas you learn to get over that and triumph triumphantly. We're a community that strives to help each other. Don't take feedback to the heart, but back to Flash. And remember, animating is fun, if you're not having fun, then you probably shouldn't be animating. You do this because you enjoy. Just have fun. : )

___________________________________________________________________________________________

About my characters Purple11

[The Return]
D3Anims
D3Anims
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 26
Number of posts : 6288
Registration date : 2010-09-09
Location : Blowin shit up with Kurbi

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/21/2011, 4:58 pm
TheSpritas is about tough love
About my characters Fuck_yeah_

___________________________________________________________________________________________

About my characters Untitl11
Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 25
Number of posts : 13141
Registration date : 2009-03-28

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/21/2011, 6:42 pm
Exactly. : )

___________________________________________________________________________________________

About my characters Purple11

[The Return]
darkdragon581
darkdragon581
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 2994
Registration date : 2009-12-05
Location : Austin, Minnesota

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/22/2011, 2:42 am
tough love? really....we pretty much let our members do whatever the fuck they want....
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 6082
Registration date : 2009-09-07
Location : UK england

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/22/2011, 4:54 am
I agree with DD. The only tough love is the criticism. And yet...people still don't get it through their thick fucking skulls.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata 1959-2015
Luigiman364
Luigiman364
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 3097
Registration date : 2010-12-13
Location : Massachusetts

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/22/2011, 12:21 pm
@darkdragon581 wrote:tough love? really....we pretty much let our members do whatever the fuck they want....

give this man a medal

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Skype Lawls:
Spoiler:
About my characters 8wjfia

Avatar by LeeTheHedgeHog and userbar done by SynsterB
About my characters 2lax69
About my characters TZmdW
avatar
GEARichard
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 90
Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2011-02-24

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/22/2011, 12:49 pm
I came here for the same but just Patt and Pingboy gave me serious tips
Anyways, almost everyone hates a Recolor
I`m not like the others but if you want that they shut their mouths go and use official characters, that way the will tell you what is wrong with your skills
Sonic or Mario for example
Almost everyone have used his sprites and if you use them
They will compare you with their work
Try it at least one time. and always accept what they say
If you contradict at least one of them, they will CRUSH you with comments
So just accept what they say, anyways they are almost professionals
So they know what is good for you and what is not

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Hitlist (not organized):
Spoiler:

- xKAreloaded
- Leo (hopefully someday he'll accept)
- Dabestbrawler
- Exorz
- LightSpriter
- Leaf
- Eric
- SquirrelKidd
- NDS
- Patt (he doesn't animate anymore :'c)
- Pac-Boy (not even active)
- DestructionSeries (not even active)
- Mystah_Jayden (barely active)
- Face
- 5h0ck
- moke311
- Atomic
- Keezy

Everyone here, is considered (IMO), someone with great animation skills. So I want to battle them. Hopefully, it can happen someday.
SXR123
SXR123
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 26
Number of posts : 11630
Registration date : 2010-03-07
Location : You know, a place.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/22/2011, 1:15 pm
like EVERYONE ELSE HERE have said.

better sprite = better animation

better backstory = more interesting story = more people will watch your animation

sonic + paint = recolor bad character

recolor + bad back story = HORRIBLE unoriginal character

recolor + good back story = still a very bad and unoriginal character

good edit/custom character + bad back story = bad character but WAAY better then a recolor

good edit/custom charater + good back story = very very very good character

think about it like this. you're watching TV, and a commercial for a new 3D movie appears, it looks great, it's actiony and funny. but the character who plays it is just a different colored monkey from that panda movie.

people will hate it. A good story is just part of the movie, character design is one of the most important. you make a generic copy of something else your movie ain't gonna do so hot in the box office.

EDIT:I'll try to improve my characters when I want too, but I just wanna
work on my videos, but can't if you keep telling me to improve my
characters. I just wanna work on my videos right now. I might be just
overrating, but you get what I mean hopefully.

that is a horrible way to think, here's the bottom line, you work on your characters now or this chain of events will happen

1.) People watch your video's, hate them, and give bad reviews because of your bad characters.
2.) you pump out video after video, probably improving in animation and action scripting to try and make people think that a recolor can be good.
3.) people stop watching your video's because all they expect from you is a bad recolor with a generic background story.
4.) you stop making video's because you're not getting any comments or reviews, or criticism for that matter.
5.) you probably drop off the spritas because no one will watch what you make anymore and you go back to some other forum where you do nothing but write story's all day or something.

that's what WILL happen if you continue to have your fan character a recolor, i'm serious dude. here at the spritas probably 98% of us DESPISE recolors, Eric most of all. because he doesn't just hate recolors, he hates fan characters all together. and if you don't change your ways you will NEVER see him reply on a topic of yours ever. and from what I've heard he's a pretty cool dude.

accept that recolors are bad, regardless of backstory, and take a whole day coming up with ideas to improve him. but, don't just give him a cloak like your other characters... cloaks don't make you look bad ass. more like a pedo.
D3Anims
D3Anims
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 26
Number of posts : 6288
Registration date : 2010-09-09
Location : Blowin shit up with Kurbi

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/22/2011, 1:53 pm
@darkdragon581 wrote:tough love? really....we pretty much let our members do whatever the fuck they want....
AYE!!!
Spoiler:
shuddup
@Luigiman364 wrote:
@darkdragon581 wrote:tough love? really....we pretty much let our members do whatever the fuck they want....

give this man a medal
NO

___________________________________________________________________________________________

About my characters Untitl11
SXR123
SXR123
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 26
Number of posts : 11630
Registration date : 2010-03-07
Location : You know, a place.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/22/2011, 2:13 pm
why doez no one evah quote mah awesomeness?

About my characters SadTroll_Anonymous_Sends_An_Open_Letter_To_The_Westboro_Baptist_Church-s240x154-140103-535
avatar
GEARichard
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 90
Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2011-02-24

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/22/2011, 2:18 pm
@SXR123 wrote:why doez no one evah quote mah awesomeness?

We don`t have nothing to say
I think you say so much to this poor guy

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Hitlist (not organized):
Spoiler:

- xKAreloaded
- Leo (hopefully someday he'll accept)
- Dabestbrawler
- Exorz
- LightSpriter
- Leaf
- Eric
- SquirrelKidd
- NDS
- Patt (he doesn't animate anymore :'c)
- Pac-Boy (not even active)
- DestructionSeries (not even active)
- Mystah_Jayden (barely active)
- Face
- 5h0ck
- moke311
- Atomic
- Keezy

Everyone here, is considered (IMO), someone with great animation skills. So I want to battle them. Hopefully, it can happen someday.
NS01
NS01
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 6082
Registration date : 2009-09-07
Location : UK england

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/22/2011, 3:17 pm
@SXR123 wrote:like EVERYONE ELSE HERE have said.

better sprite = better animation

better backstory = more interesting story = more people will watch your animation

sonic + paint = recolor bad character

recolor + bad back story = HORRIBLE unoriginal character

recolor + good back story = still a very bad and unoriginal character

good edit/custom character + bad back story = bad character but WAAY better then a recolor

good edit/custom charater + good back story = very very very good character

think about it like this. you're watching TV, and a commercial for a new 3D movie appears, it looks great, it's actiony and funny. but the character who plays it is just a different colored monkey from that panda movie.

people will hate it. A good story is just part of the movie, character design is one of the most important. you make a generic copy of something else your movie ain't gonna do so hot in the box office.

EDIT:I'll try to improve my characters when I want too, but I just wanna
work on my videos, but can't if you keep telling me to improve my
characters. I just wanna work on my videos right now. I might be just
overrating, but you get what I mean hopefully.

that is a horrible way to think, here's the bottom line, you work on your characters now or this chain of events will happen

1.) People watch your video's, hate them, and give bad reviews because of your bad characters.
2.) you pump out video after video, probably improving in animation and action scripting to try and make people think that a recolor can be good.
3.) people stop watching your video's because all they expect from you is a bad recolor with a generic background story.
4.) you stop making video's because you're not getting any comments or reviews, or criticism for that matter.
5.) you probably drop off the spritas because no one will watch what you make anymore and you go back to some other forum where you do nothing but write story's all day or something.

that's what WILL happen if you continue to have your fan character a recolor, i'm serious dude. here at the spritas probably 98% of us DESPISE recolors, Eric most of all. because he doesn't just hate recolors, he hates fan characters all together. and if you don't change your ways you will NEVER see him reply on a topic of yours ever. and from what I've heard he's a pretty cool dude.

accept that recolors are bad, regardless of backstory, and take a whole day coming up with ideas to improve him. but, don't just give him a cloak like your other characters... cloaks don't make you look bad ass. more like a pedo.

Awesome.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata 1959-2015
Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 25
Number of posts : 13141
Registration date : 2009-03-28

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/22/2011, 4:01 pm
NintendoStar01 wrote:
@SXR123 wrote:shit

Awesome.
I agree. Great job?

Also, I honestly don't feel like giving this kid any remorse... it's too much complaining like a little bitch, and everyone carefully explained to him what the hell is going on yet he hasn't responded.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

About my characters Purple11

[The Return]
SXR123
SXR123
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 26
Number of posts : 11630
Registration date : 2010-03-07
Location : You know, a place.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/22/2011, 4:14 pm
you tink everything I said was shit?! DX
Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 25
Number of posts : 13141
Registration date : 2009-03-28

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/22/2011, 4:56 pm
Not shit, I just refer to stuff as shit, it's how I talk.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

About my characters Purple11

[The Return]
SXR123
SXR123
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 26
Number of posts : 11630
Registration date : 2010-03-07
Location : You know, a place.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/22/2011, 4:57 pm
oh... ok lol
Red x
Red x
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2010-09-19

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/22/2011, 5:45 pm
I know what your saying but there's 1 thing you don't get. I DON'T wanna change my characters "right" now, you see if people keeps on and on and WON'T let up I can't do it, I just can't give in. So if you guys stop telling me this every second then I may, but saying it over and over isn't helping.

I'll make you ALL A DEAL! Stop telling me to change my characters for let's say, until next Wesday and I'll try too. I don't want to because well, their a part of me and I don't care if their a recolor. And telling me again and again is causing me not too. A word for it but can't remember it.

So think you guys can last a week without bugging me about my characters? Like your freaking forcing me, I know your not but feels like it when you keep on.


Last edited by Red x on 6/22/2011, 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patt
Patt
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 25
Number of posts : 13141
Registration date : 2009-03-28

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/22/2011, 5:45 pm
Wesday is when!?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

About my characters Purple11

[The Return]
Red x
Red x
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 27
Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2010-09-19

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/22/2011, 5:50 pm
Pattiasina24 wrote:Wesday is when!?

ME AND MY SPELLING! XD I meant a week from today.
SXR123
SXR123
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 26
Number of posts : 11630
Registration date : 2010-03-07
Location : You know, a place.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

About my characters Empty Re: About my characters

on 6/22/2011, 6:18 pm
@Red x wrote:I don't want to because well, their a part of me and I don't care if their a recolor.

that's a bad excuse, don't say that. you may like them as recolors but no one else does and if you don't change soon those chain of events I mentioned will happen but have it your way, I won't bug you for a whole week. but if Wednesday comes and you haven't done anything to change them, get ready for the hounding.
Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum