HarryControl
HarryControl
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-11-05

Harry's Opinion on Pirating - Page 3 Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 4/2/2011, 11:13 pm
leocartoon1 wrote:Sure, there are the copyright laws, but who cares nowadays?

This is the kind of attitude I have a problem with. Sorry, leo.
Leo
Leo
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23

on 4/3/2011, 5:42 am
@HarryControl wrote:
leocartoon1 wrote:Sure, there are the copyright laws, but who cares nowadays?

This is the kind of attitude I have a problem with. Sorry, leo.

lol I'm talking about people. That's the attitude of the masses. I don't do it. In fact, most of the programs I have here were all buyed by me.
Eric
Eric
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2008-10-20

on 4/3/2011, 7:04 am
@HarryControl wrote:
Alright, so how many people pirated Flash? There seems to be a lot that don't have a problem with that kind of stuff and this concerns me to say the least. Am I the only one who frowns upon this? I mean, here on the Spritas you guys talk about how huge of problem from things as “little” as decompiling someone's SWF file, I would hope you guys would feel them same about owning an unauthorized copy of a software.
Decompiling an SWF is not at all like pirating software. When you decompile, you're still content, art made by other users, without the permission. Pirating the software is stealing the TOOL to create the content, a tool which is made for everyone (who can fucking afford it). Decompiling is a lot more personal than the whole software, unless a user created a software all for his own.

It's a real shame to even see websites like Wikipedia claim that software piracy is an extremely common crime that happens.
Because not everyone can afford these things. It's a shame how over priced these things are, too many potential artists or whatever are limited by things like this. These programs are DIGITAL and they are charging you near thousands of dollars. Computers that need an Anti Virus will go to waste, that's a near thousand just for a computer. It'd be less of a pirate if companies weren't so damn greedy.
Ah, but wait! Maybe just the fact copyright laws isn't enough for you. Well let's examine this in a practical sense. I know there are some companies who don't care (to a certain aspect) about their software being pirated, probably for competition and marketing purposes as it's a seemingly impossible crime to stop by anyone anyway and probably a waste of money in the end to them. That's just a guess though. But I still think that shouldn't justify the means of installing a program you haven't paid for “for free”. My reason for this is that you are in fact being deceitful and therefore dishonest. It's ultimately damaging, not necessarily in it's term of resources, but in terms of trust and perhaps even relationships. I don't buy into this “It shouldn't matter because nobody will know or see you doing it anyway. You won't get caught”. Regardless your worldview I believe it's still good for everyone to build good character when no one is looking or around you. Because what we do behind our shut doors can indeed affect the way we live out in public.
Again that's too personal for an argument, not everyone will have the same moral stance on this. These companies do not LOSE anything from us stealing, they just don't gain.

I'm well aware some of you are still young students and perhaps can't afford such stuff like Flash because you don't have any income but really want to use the program like everyone else. And yes, I can easily agree that Adobe is being a ripoff when selling their products at such high prices, but again, don't let someone's greed be an excuse to why you should perpetrate for profit. Don't be a slouch and save up your money. I'm sure there's ways younger people make money when they're under mom and dad's roof. It's what I had to do, in fact I waited a least a year before I was able to purchase my own copy of Flash. And this wasn't easy saving up for a copy of Flash considering that I was working at a minimal wage job while having to support myself. That's right, no mom and dad to pay those monthly bills. Don't tell me I enjoy buying stuff, because I don't, especially expensive stuff, but I only do it because I feel it's the right thing to do and already gave my reasons above why I feel it's right. I don't expect everyone's situation to be the same. But still, use your commonsense people.
These programs go up to the near thousands, not all of us are employed, and mom and dad's allowance isn't near enough to get there in a year for pretty much most of these people. You CAN get a student discount to bring flash down to nearly 1/4 of it's original price however, but you're a bit more limited with the student version i here.

But maybe you already stolen a software such as Flash, it's defiantly a disappointment, but not too late too stop making the hole of yours bigger. Continuing to pirate a software is kind of like this person who's on a diet but wreaks it by having that one piece a cake and says to himself “well, I just ruined it, did I? I might as well eat the rest because I failed anyway.”. The point is I don't care if you've may taken a fall on the ground, I want people to get back up and start walking right again. There's probably a lot more in depth I could talk about in this topic but I think my brain is ready to blow a fuse. Razz
That's a bad analogy, because the point of pirating a software is to give you another tool to help you and get there. By eating the cake you're doing everything but getting there, you're ruining yourself, by pirating the software you needed, you just gave yourself that boost.

So yeah, go shop on ebay or somethn', once in a while you can find some good deals on Adobe products there. It's where I got mine. Saved at least 70% on my purchase in comparison to what the original price was.
But then the company gets nothing, not a single cent, from you buying it off someone else. You still payed money, but that didn't go to the creators where it should go, it just went to some kid (he probably pirated himself). I'm sure if Adobe was one to care about the money they get from pirating, they'd be pissed off about buying it off Ebay.

P.S. Eric, I hope this helps you understand a bit better my absurdity on why it drives me up the walls when certain people say you are an idiot because you're paying for a software. Razz
If you can't afford it, and you still rather save up for like a year or 2 to buy it then i would think you're an idiot.

Should pirating not be possible, none of the amazing art that inspires us and that we see today would exist and so many computers would be fucked when they needed a virus protector the most but couldn't afford it.

This thread does NOT promote the activity of pirating, neither does this website so, no pointing fingers.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Watch your ass.
Harry's Opinion on Pirating - Page 3 Banned1a7c7e438gif
HarryControl
HarryControl
Spritan
Spritan

on 4/3/2011, 11:54 am
Thanks for your evaluation Eric. But still....

I was not blaming you at all for promoting these kind of acts, but nevertheless I know it happens.
Timmy
Timmy
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-11-08

on 4/3/2011, 1:05 pm
@Granadico wrote:Timmy how can both of your parents be priests!? I know its off topic but im just like loleut

http://www.diohuron.org/contact/clergyemail/clergyemail.php#H < My mom is listed as The Rev'd Canon Jane Humphreys Rector, St. Mary's Church, Windsor
http://www.diohuron.org/contact/clergyemail/clergyemail.php#M < My Dad is listed as The Rev'd Gordon Maitland St. George's, Windsor (Maitland being my last name.)

Idk why my mom didn't take my dad's name. . . maybe 'cause she hates my grandpa and grandma on his side.

Dad's churches site (looks like 2003 shit) http://stgeorgeswindsor.tripod.com/
Mom's churches site http://www.stmaryschurch.ca/index2.htm < I'm learning HTML and seriously want to re do this site.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Spoiler:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Eric
Eric
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2008-10-20

on 4/3/2011, 2:21 pm
@HarryControl wrote:Thanks for your evaluation Eric. But still....

I was not blaming you at all for promoting these kind of acts, but nevertheless I know it happens.

I said that to make sure we don't get slammed for legal issues.

Watch your ass.
Harry's Opinion on Pirating - Page 3 Banned1a7c7e438gif
HarryControl
HarryControl
Spritan
Spritan

on 4/3/2011, 3:53 pm
@Eric wrote:
@HarryControl wrote:Thanks for your evaluation Eric. But still....

I said that to make sure we don't get slammed for legal issues.

rock on!

It would be very pitiful if the Spritas had to be shut down as I recommend it to be the top choice for bringing sprite animators together as a community. Sure I think some of you guys are crazy, but whatever, I don't expect everyone to be the same.
Leo
Leo
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23

on 4/3/2011, 4:12 pm
@HarryControl wrote:Sure I think some of you guys are crazy

That's probably a disease, every damn good artist have it!
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 20161
Registration date : 2010-09-15

on 4/4/2011, 9:09 pm
Yeah. I can't afford worth a damn.

I feel really poor, because my friend just purchased Flash CS5. He isn't even rich.

Harry's Opinion on Pirating - Page 3 Ping10
@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum