Go down
HarryControl
HarryControl
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 30
Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-11-05
Location : The Solar System

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 2:02 am
I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into when saying this but whatever, I feel this is something I need to share. I'm not sure where this topic would be suitable to be placed, so I decided to put it here in the general section of the forum.

Before I start talking about the topic, allow me to express my motives behind my writing as sometimes it gets frustrating, if you will, when people misinterpret my tone of voice. I'm told to either cool it or I'm raging every time I state a rather strong opinion about something. Perhaps part of my problem is that I'm rather more open here on the forums than I am in person. It's not always the case, but usually it is. I think it's because I prefer writing things on paper (or in this case, punching in keys to make text appear on the computer screen) so I organize my thoughts better. Who knows, maybe I am on my high horses without realizing it. As a human, it's very easy putting yourself on a pedestal and pointing with that wild index finger instead of approaching a situation humbly. I'll try to talk in a way as if I was speaking to my own brother.

Another thing to note while reading on is anytime you see something typed in bold text while possibly being followed by ALL CAPS, I'm trying to make an emphasis on something. Not in any means of wanting to shout. If I really was yelling, it would say something like this.... IF YOU DON'T READ THIS TEXT THAT'S POINTLESS THEN I'M GOING TO BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN. Of course this is exaggerated, but regardless the intensity, I would never want to say something like that, even if someone was pushing my buttons. Sure I've made mistakes as well, but it doesn't really help, in generally most situations, to dismiss everything just because someone is hypocritical about it.

The internet, probably the most powerful tool that has been invented in the history of mankind, gives you the ability to research, communicate, download, upload, teach, learn, shop, and self-entertain (which there's probably more I haven't thought of listing yet) with vast information and resources that's found here. The internet even supports all communication media from previous technological serveries such as the the telephone, radio, television, and such. All this right to our finger tips!

But like many other tools, the internet has been used for bad purposes. I don't mean to sound all philosophical, but unfortunately it gives a good reflection of the world we live in. It's a corrupted place we live in. But as individuals, this really shouldn't be giving us an excuse to start comparing how we're better but like an attitude of self-examination in saying things to yourself like “Is there a way I can improve?” or “Is this done correctly?” But this is just the introduction to what I really want to talk about.

What I really want to talk about

Alright, so how many people pirated Flash? There seems to be a lot that don't have a problem with that kind of stuff and this concerns me to say the least. Am I the only one who frowns upon this? I mean, here on the Spritas you guys talk about how huge of problem from things as “little” as decompiling someone's SWF file, I would hope you guys would feel them same about owning an unauthorized copy of a software. It's a real shame to even see websites like Wikipedia claim that software piracy is an extremely common crime that happens. Oh shoot! DID I JUST WRITE IN BOLD TEXT? But anyway, getting back to the point..... maybe some of you aren't aware, but by definition, copyright infringement of software (which is just a fancy way of saying software piracy) is a practice of unauthorized copying of computer software. And how is it a crime? Well, for starters, it's against the law, and that should be more than enough statement in itself. Well, at least in Canada here I know there are copyright laws and I'm pretty sure the beastly United States of America does as well.

Ah, but wait! Maybe just the fact copyright laws isn't enough for you. Well let's examine this in a practical sense. I know there are some companies who don't care (to a certain aspect) about their software being pirated, probably for competition and marketing purposes as it's a seemingly impossible crime to stop by anyone anyway and probably a waste of money in the end to them. That's just a guess though. But I still think that shouldn't justify the means of installing a program you haven't paid for “for free”. My reason for this is that you are in fact being deceitful and therefore dishonest. It's ultimately damaging, not necessarily in it's term of resources, but in terms of trust and perhaps even relationships. I don't buy into this “It shouldn't matter because nobody will know or see you doing it anyway. You won't get caught”. Regardless your worldview I believe it's still good for everyone to build good character when no one is looking or around you. Because what we do behind our shut doors can indeed affect the way we live out in public.

I'm well aware some of you are still young students and perhaps can't afford such stuff like Flash because you don't have any income but really want to use the program like everyone else. And yes, I can easily agree that Adobe is being a ripoff when selling their products at such high prices, but again, don't let someone's greed be an excuse to why you should perpetrate for profit. Don't be a slouch and save up your money. I'm sure there's ways younger people make money when they're under mom and dad's roof. It's what I had to do, in fact I waited a least a year before I was able to purchase my own copy of Flash. And this wasn't easy saving up for a copy of Flash considering that I was working at a minimal wage job while having to support myself. That's right, no mom and dad to pay those monthly bills. Don't tell me I enjoy buying stuff, because I don't, especially expensive stuff, but I only do it because I feel it's the right thing to do and already gave my reasons above why I feel it's right. I don't expect everyone's situation to be the same. But still, use your commonsense people.

But maybe you already stolen a software such as Flash, it's defiantly a disappointment, but not too late too stop making the hole of yours bigger. Continuing to pirate a software is kind of like this person who's on a diet but wreaks it by having that one piece a cake and says to himself “well, I just ruined it, did I? I might as well eat the rest because I failed anyway.”. The point is I don't care if you've may taken a fall on the ground, I want people to get back up and start walking right again. There's probably a lot more in depth I could talk about in this topic but I think my brain is ready to blow a fuse. Razz

So yeah, go shop on ebay or somethn', once in a while you can find some good deals on Adobe products there. It's where I got mine. Saved at least 70% on my purchase in comparison to what the original price was.

Thank-you for reading. I'm only suggesting ways the spriting community could be better. Wink

- Harry



P.S. Eric, I hope this helps you understand a bit better my absurdity on why it drives me up the walls when certain people say you are an idiot because you're paying for a software. Razz


Last edited by HarryControl on 4/1/2011, 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
THE2ndNarutox
THE2ndNarutox
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 28
Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2010-09-11
Location : Mass

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 4:41 pm
Hm? *stops* oooooooh Im in the wrong room... time to go *leaves*

___________________________________________________________________________________________

The means by which we live has outdistanced the ends for which we live. Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.
- Martin Luther King Jr -

Harry's Opinion on Pirating 1bc99df4279fec8b2d213581d1a37e1f9cd0a787f054c4d43

If you wanna battle ill totally take you one. Send me a PM and we can set up dates nd times nd stuff. Prepare to be amazed.

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Jaden_yuki_signature_by_woofersrb-d50qemp

That goes double.... for a duel.
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 24
Number of posts : 20161
Registration date : 2010-09-15
Location : Madison Wisconsin

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 6:05 pm
@THE2ndNarutox wrote:Hm? *stops* oooooooh Im in the wrong room... time to go *leaves*

Lmfao.


Not only is downloading, like...a serious crime, but it does pretty bad b.s. to Adobe. If people keep doing this, Adobe won't have anything to sell.


Same thing goes for music. What's the point of downloading an album?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Ping10
@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
HarryControl
HarryControl
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 30
Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-11-05
Location : The Solar System

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 6:40 pm
Pingboy wrote:Not only is downloading, like...a serious crime, but it does pretty bad b.s. to Adobe. If people keep doing this, Adobe won't have anything to sell.

Which could be one possible reason why Adobe put things at high prices. But they do give special benefits to students. But I still think Adobe is ridiculous Maybe my problem is being cheap, but here I'm looking at Gimp and Photoshop next to each other. One's an open source and the other demand lots of money. There's something wrong with this picture if you ask me.
Luigiman364
Luigiman364
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 3097
Registration date : 2010-12-13
Location : Massachusetts

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 6:57 pm
I uncle GOt me Flash and Fireworks :3 He passed down the Flash Tree :3

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Skype Lawls:
Spoiler:
Harry's Opinion on Pirating 8wjfia

Avatar by LeeTheHedgeHog and userbar done by SynsterB
Harry's Opinion on Pirating 2lax69
Harry's Opinion on Pirating TZmdW
darkdragon581
darkdragon581
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 2994
Registration date : 2009-12-05
Location : Austin, Minnesota

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 7:16 pm
the whole thing....i read the whole fucking thing.... why the fuck would you make me read something that fucking long
Harry's Opinion on Pirating Wth

(off topic) and recently i have been informed that what we call Decompiling, is really just ripping, and with that logic....well idfk
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 24
Number of posts : 20161
Registration date : 2010-09-15
Location : Madison Wisconsin

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 7:25 pm
@HarryControl wrote:
Pingboy wrote:Not only is downloading, like...a serious crime, but it does pretty bad b.s. to Adobe. If people keep doing this, Adobe won't have anything to sell.

Which could be one possible reason why Adobe put things at high prices. But they do give special benefits to students. But I still think Adobe is ridiculous Maybe my problem is being cheap, but here I'm looking at Gimp and Photoshop next to each other. One's an open source and the other demand lots of money. There's something wrong with this picture if you ask me.
They should be reasonable and considerate of the prices. I'd actually buy a product between 300-400 dollars.

Although there is the value and benefits of the product, so practically, I can totally see the price beyond $400.00.

There are RIDICULOUS companies who ask way too much from an individual. A good example is Sony.
Sony™ Vegas Pro 9. $999.00.

Vegas 10 Pro is released. Can't imagine how much it costs.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Ping10
@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
D3Anims
D3Anims
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 26
Number of posts : 6288
Registration date : 2010-09-09
Location : Blowin shit up with Kurbi

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 7:39 pm
@darkdragon581 wrote:the whole thing....i read the whole fucking thing.... why the fuck would you make me read something that fucking long
Harry's Opinion on Pirating Wth

(off topic) and recently i have been informed that what we call Decompiling, is really just ripping, and with that logic....well idfk

when i made a thread bout that, the horrible, horrible things that were said to me.......

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Untitl11
Face
Face
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 31
Number of posts : 13013
Registration date : 2010-04-29
Location : Returned-ed

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 8:02 pm
LOL.................wow just wow LOL at this whole topic.....

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Untitl15
D3Anims
D3Anims
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 26
Number of posts : 6288
Registration date : 2010-09-09
Location : Blowin shit up with Kurbi

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 8:13 pm
i didnt read the whole thing, just the bolds. whats this abouts

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Untitl11
HarryControl
HarryControl
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 30
Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-11-05
Location : The Solar System

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 8:42 pm
@darkdragon581 wrote:the whole thing....i read the whole fucking thing.... why the fuck would you make me read something that fucking long
Harry's Opinion on Pirating Wth

Seriously, why do you seem so negative every time I start a topic or something? It's beginning to make me wonder, perhaps even bothered. Your combos of cussing words doesn't help either, and I don't recall saying you had to read the whole thing. Serious

Which is kind of interesting actually, if I made you read this, I wonder what other things I can make you read. Razz

@darkdragon581 wrote:(off topic) and recently i have been informed that what we call Decompiling, is really just ripping, and with that logic....well idfk

Well, this just gives me a more of a reason why I should just keep my animations in video format. Good luck trying to pry that open.

And yeah, I can see it in that way too, but the difference is places like Spriter's Resource have been approved by the big companies (so I assume) about ripping their sprites.

@D3Anims wrote:i didnt read the whole thing, just the bolds. whats this abouts

To put it in a nutshell, it's about how owning an unauthorized copy of a software is illegal.


Face
Face
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 31
Number of posts : 13013
Registration date : 2010-04-29
Location : Returned-ed

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 9:04 pm
.........dude are you Christian?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Untitl15
HarryControl
HarryControl
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 30
Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-11-05
Location : The Solar System

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 9:24 pm
madfacespriter wrote:.........dude are you Christian?

........... I'm not sure if I want to answer that or not.
Face
Face
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 31
Number of posts : 13013
Registration date : 2010-04-29
Location : Returned-ed

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 9:44 pm
@HarryControl wrote:
madfacespriter wrote:.........dude are you Christian?

........... I'm not sure if I want to answer that or not.
LOL It would explain ALOT about you thats all. never mind dude.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Untitl15
darkdragon581
darkdragon581
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 2994
Registration date : 2009-12-05
Location : Austin, Minnesota

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 9:54 pm
this topic should be labeled, none of our damn business, all of us animate, most are fairly good at it, if adobe wants to screw us hopefuls out of 600 dollars then to hell with them
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 24
Number of posts : 20161
Registration date : 2010-09-15
Location : Madison Wisconsin

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 10:04 pm
Mad. D3. Dark.

Dudes. I'm not surprise if Harry felt a slight bit of harassment from that question, mad.


You people. What you say. It isn't even remote relevant to what this topic is about.


Dark isn't really doing nothing. He basically just said he read the whole original post. He didn't even give regard to the actual subject.

Pull it together. Discuss this subject. Please, jeez.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Ping10
@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
darkdragon581
darkdragon581
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 2994
Registration date : 2009-12-05
Location : Austin, Minnesota

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 10:09 pm
pingboy, im seriously starting to doubt your reading ability
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 24
Number of posts : 20161
Registration date : 2010-09-15
Location : Madison Wisconsin

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 10:11 pm
Sadly, you only made 1 stupid post that had to do with the topic, generally.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Ping10
@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
darkdragon581
darkdragon581
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 2994
Registration date : 2009-12-05
Location : Austin, Minnesota

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 10:20 pm
at least i didn't post TL;DR like i normally do, i actually read it and posted my opinion and if you want me to elaborate on it i will gladly, i was only expressing my discontent for wasting me time on a subject that has already been brought up plenty of times before

yes piracy is a serious problem and it is driving companys out of buisness but still that doesn't make it entirely bad, it will always exist and there is no way to stop it, so i get where you are comming from but there real is nothing we can do, everyone will always look for the cheapest and fastest way to get what that want, thats the way life works
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 24
Number of posts : 20161
Registration date : 2010-09-15
Location : Madison Wisconsin

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 10:24 pm
That's my nigga.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Ping10
@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
HarryControl
HarryControl
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 30
Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-11-05
Location : The Solar System

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 11:35 pm
@darkdragon581 wrote:this topic should be labeled, none of our damn business, all of us animate, most are fairly good at it, if adobe wants to screw us hopefuls out of 600 dollars then to hell with them

I'm not familiar with the term "labeling a topic". What exactly did you mean by that?

And I can kind of see your point of view about Adobe ripping 600 dollars (Canadian or US dollars? Eh, probably doesn't matter, the currency is almost the same) off us, even for me that's huge huge bucks. I don't role on money either, but to make it short, I care about honesty. (please don't take that out of context)

Pingboy wrote:Mad. D3. Dark.

Dudes. I'm not surprise if Harry felt a slight bit of harassment from that question, mad.

Not really, Pingboy, I just don't want this to lead into a religious debate. That's all. Save the battle of worldviews to a different topic please.

And going off topic for moment, I hear this word "nigga" a lot recently, what's it suppose to mean? scratch


Last edited by HarryControl on 3/31/2011, 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Luigi-o
"For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?" - Matthew 16:26
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 24
Number of posts : 20161
Registration date : 2010-09-15
Location : Madison Wisconsin

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 11:43 pm
It means your bro, :]. Your main man.

Commonly, people use it to address a person.

Harry. You're my nigga.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Ping10
@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
HarryControl
HarryControl
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 30
Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-11-05
Location : The Solar System

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 3/31/2011, 11:48 pm
Pingboy wrote:It means your bro, :]. Your main man.

Commonly, people use it to address a person.

Harry. You're my nigga.

Ah, okay. Thanks nigga. Cool

And uh, make sure you re-check the previous post I made. I edit it.
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 24
Number of posts : 20161
Registration date : 2010-09-15
Location : Madison Wisconsin

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 4/1/2011, 12:12 am
Alright. Sounds good.


Now, Harry. How many months did it take for you to purchase Flash? You stated in your original post that you had to pay all of the bills. Hard, isn't it?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Ping10
@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
HarryControl
HarryControl
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 30
Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-11-05
Location : The Solar System

Harry's Opinion on Pirating Empty Re: Harry's Opinion on Pirating

on 4/1/2011, 1:15 am
Pingboy wrote:Alright. Sounds good.


Now, Harry. How many months did it take for you to purchase Flash? You stated in your original post that you had to pay all of the bills. Hard, isn't it?

I don't know specifically, I did say at least a year. And it's not necessarily hard to pay bills at all if you know how to be responsible with your cash. I think the point I was trying to get at is that even if some people younger than me, such as you for example, think I have a much greater advantage because of income, well.... let's just say the money I get can't all go into my pocket. It probably would be easier though if I had a higher paying job which no doors of that such have been opened yet. It all depends on the circumstances really. I'm obviously not like Bill Gates or anything like that.

If you ask me, discussing how to deal things financially just makes the topic wider. There's becoming too much things to say that could be talked about in depth......if that even made any sense. Razz
Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum