What got you to make a Sprite Animation?

+15
Blue22
DemonicDragony93
Ping
Leo
Eric
Mr Lange
YoshiSonic
Granadico
DarkInfernoZ
SXR123
Timmy
darkdragon581
D3Anims
Clovis15
Rapidfir3Pho3nix
19 posters
Go down
Rapidfir3Pho3nix
Rapidfir3Pho3nix
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 4905
Registration date : 2009-01-23
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0ntn5nE-2rEXLA8GQ7mtsAhttps://rapidfir3pho3nix.deviantart.com/https://discordapp.com/channels/142444698311589888/142444698311589888https://twitter.com/rapidfir3animshttps://www.facebook.com/Rapidfir3Pho3nix/https://www.twitch.tv/rapidfir3pho3nix

What got you to make a Sprite Animation? Empty What got you to make a Sprite Animation?

1/19/2011, 12:16 am
Simple Topic...What people or sprite animations made you want to start sprite animating???

Since I am the maker of this thread, I will start.

WARNING: Life story ahead!

Well, growing up, my favorite video game character was Sonic the Hedgehog. I always liked to run when I was little and believed I had same characteristics as Sonic. (Running Fast, Honest, Good-Hearted...you get the point.) Well, when I first got my gameboy advance, I got a game called Sonic Battle. (Great game) It had all these Sonic Characters that you could fight with and do awesome moves with. I fell in love with game...for about a month. After growing up a bit to the age of, 12 or 13, I decided to look up some gameplay of Sonic Battle to reminisce a little bit. After watching probably 3 videos I somehow came across a stick figure animation...

I was amazed when I saw this. For some reason, I immediately opened paint and tried doing something like that. Of course, I drew a stick figure then wondered what I was supposed to do next. After a bit more searching on youtube I found out how to make sprite programs with paint. I made a few animations with paint but anyone that tried animating in paint knows how bad that is. After messing with paint for a while I noticed someone mention Pivot. I saw some animations with Pivot and decided I would do that instead. So after making a few Pivot things I then noticed something about Flash and Fireworks and Super Mario Brothers Z...I watched SMBZ and I LOVED it. However, I knew something like that was not possible in Pivot. Somehow I found out that you make animations like that in a program called Flash 8...

After hours and hours of trying to figure out where to get flash and fireworks for free, I eventually obtained them. Unfortunately, when I opened up flash and saw all theses different buttons and words that didn't make since, I closed flash and determined that I could never mess with a program like that. (I think I was 10.) Anyway, I went back to YouTube and decided I'd just watch some more Flash Sprite Animations. But then I found a certain Sprite Video that sparked my determination to learn Flash.

The High-Speed, intense Fighting action between 2 of my favorite characters to ever exist nearly made me Jizz back then. ( I didn't even know what term Jizz meant back then...) After that I was determined to learn Flash. So I searched Flash tutorials...I saw a few before I eventually found a certain persons series of sprite tutorials. I remember watching that Man's sprite tutorials and reenacting every single thing he explained in his videos. And the random outbursts of anger he displayed had my body dieing from laughter. (You should know who I'm talking about by now.) But after watching those videos I finally knew (somewhat) how to make VERY POOR, SMBZ-LIKE decent Flash animations.

But unlike most beginners, I began to lose motivation...Alvin Earthworm only released one episode a year...There weren't a lot of good animations...Eventually I kinda loss interest. But then I saw someone else's sprite animation.

After watching this...(and re-watching it to this day) I became intensely devoted to learning Flash and making Animations. They weren't good but I loved it. This is also when I found out about Newgrounds for the first time, where I found LOTS of inspiration. (Nazo Unleashed, Sonic's Quests for Power, etc.) This is also when I learned what Hentai was -_-...I was 13...Horrible, horrible times. Anyways, approximately 3 years later, I re-discover The Spritas. (Note: I had actually signed up on here when I first started watching ifureadthisdie's tutorials, but I quickly forgot about it.)

*sigh* I have too much free time...
Clovis15
Clovis15
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-16

What got you to make a Sprite Animation? Empty Re: What got you to make a Sprite Animation?

1/19/2011, 12:53 am
I know most people here will cite SMBZ as one of their early major influences, but the first time I was truly motivated by a sprite movie would actually be the Ancient Mario Vs Sonic by VGDC: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/28041 (I know this looks positively archaic by today's standards... but trust me when I say that it was the most amazing dynamic sprite movie ever when it came out)

Also I really loved his second and third Mack Daddy Mario Videos:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/36325
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/75381
(Maybe this is part of why the last two episodes of CTU both have dancing to music jokes of sorts in them)

I also dearly loved the Secret of Mana Theater series, which has easily been one of the largest inspirations in how I have run CTU... how many other flash series can you can you name that has run for over 300 episodes?
http://www.manatheater.com/

Lastly, in a strange turn of events, I get to list Chrono Trigger Unglued itself. I wasn't it's creator, but it was handed over to me lock stock and barrel beginning with Episode 11. Before then, I was merely one of many people watching it as a fan of Cryo's work on it (although even back then I had ideas of some things I would have done differently, largely based on what I felt Secret of Mana Theater had done right, just never actually believed I would end up in a postion to do them for real)

If I were to list my actual favorite work in flash, though, I guess it would actually be the complete non-sprite based There She Is series (especially the final episode): http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/474311

That said, I do like Super Mario Bros Z as much as the next guy working on sprites... but it came out long after I got started with sprites.
D3Anims
D3Anims
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 6288
Registration date : 2010-09-09

What got you to make a Sprite Animation? Empty Re: What got you to make a Sprite Animation?

1/19/2011, 12:33 pm
as an lsw addict and a stick figurer, once i found out pivot 3 could use sprites i jizzed. then i found sprite anims that made mine look like feces because it was made by something called flash. i immediately purchased this program legally and used my pivot methods on flash, the anims remained shitty, so i looked up some tuts, founds erics and became the as awesome as i am now, then i started drawing

___________________________________________________________________________________________

What got you to make a Sprite Animation? Untitl11
darkdragon581
darkdragon581
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 2994
Registration date : 2009-12-05

1/19/2011, 12:47 pm
back in 5th grade i believe, i watched Alvin earthworms super mario bros z....and i loved it, as the years passed i watched more and more animations, including short factors Fabulous Not Another Sprite fight, in fact i believe short factor was more of an inspiration for me than alvin, one summer rennyboi showed me how to get flash, and i was immediately better then him What got you to make a Sprite Animation? Studmuffinplz

after making 2 very shitty animations i knew i needed help, so i went to youtube and found ifureadthisdies tutorials, after constant trial and error i found a trick that helped me animate better, then i switched from 12 fps to 25 to be more smooth, i made 2 semi-decent sprite tests, i called them epic tests but they were far from it, over time i have been getting better with help from all of the people here on the spritas, so really i have all you to thank because without the spritas....i wouldn't be an animator :3
D3Anims
D3Anims
Spritan
Spritan

1/19/2011, 3:09 pm
*sheds a tear*
*sniffle*your welcomeWhat got you to make a Sprite Animation? Thumb_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-static-014
*sobs*

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Timmy
Timmy
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 1185
Registration date : 2010-11-08

1/19/2011, 3:56 pm
It was pancake Tuesday, and I was pumped. Pa would finally let me go to the bank with him! I would be able to buy a red pen, just like his. So I got into the car, and we drove to the bank. I went in, pumped for the pen. But then I saw it. Macromedia Flash 8 on the counter. I asked my pa for it, instead of the red pen. Disappointed, he bought me flash. I was going to be cool, just like the other kids! But them I realized; I couldn't draw! What would I do? Once I got home, I went to think. Then, after one hardcore session of fapping, I made up my mind; I would sprite. I would sprite until I die! I would sprite until the second coming of the messiah! I would sprite until my penis decayed completely and fall off! But most of all, I'd sprite to make up for my mistakes, my lie, and my sins.

~Timmy4080

Spoiler:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
D3Anims
D3Anims
Spritan
Spritan

1/19/2011, 4:00 pm
..............my gawdWhat got you to make a Sprite Animation? Scared-8550

darkdragon581
darkdragon581
Spritan
Spritan

1/19/2011, 4:00 pm
Timmy4080 wrote:It was pancake Tuesday, and I was pumped. Pa would finally let me go to the bank with him! I would be able to buy a red pen, just like his. So I got into the car, and we drove to the bank. I went in, pumped for the pen. But then I saw it. Macromedia Flash 8 on the counter. I asked my pa for it, instead of the red pen. Disappointed, he bought me flash. I was going to be cool, just like the other kids! But them I realized; I couldn't draw! What would I do? Once I got home, I went to think. Then, after one hardcore session of fapping, I made up my mind; I would sprite. I would sprite until I die! I would sprite until the second coming of the messiah! I would sprite until my penis decayed completely and fall off! But most of all, I'd sprite to make up for my mistakes, my lie, and my sins.

~Timmy4080

i am going to murder you
D3Anims
D3Anims
Spritan
Spritan

1/19/2011, 4:09 pm
What got you to make a Sprite Animation? Lol-8469

SXR123
SXR123
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 11610
Registration date : 2010-03-07
https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

1/19/2011, 4:10 pm
around 6th grade I saw many sprite movies, crazy eights "dark sonic vs shadow" sonic's quest for power (which continues to be my favorite series EVER SMBZ can go jump off a cliff!) I just loved watching fights.

No not fights where they just beat the limbs off of each other I mean intense non stop ass kicking, sometimes with a story like alvin's or that vegito dude. Fights were intense and I just loved to watch how the people who made them just made the characters do unbeliveable things. As much as I like DBZ I got bored of those fights because most of them were just large energy beams that could roast an entire planet.

anyway I got into spriting starting with paint. boy... time sure fly's don't it? I had used paint for... I guess a year an a half or maybe just half a year. I then switched to pivot 3 beta, which CONSTANTLY crashed on me, losing all of my good work. I then stumbled upon ifureadthisdie's tuts. I tried them twice, and fucked up BAAADDDDD I gave up using flash afterwords-for the moment and went back using pivot since it was (not always reliable)use-able.

I told myself enough was enough, I devoted an entire weekend to learn how to use flash, and thanks to me finally getting it I learned how to use flash and constantly continue to improve thanks to eric. My video's improved, my subscribers on youtube went high and it was all thanks to eric, and a few friends who helped when I needed it.

by the way just to tell you all, I had NEVER seen Alvin's SMBZ before starting spriting, in fact I had never seen it until I was done using pivot, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. so blah blah blah I talk to much. by th eway.. what the EFF is red pen?
darkdragon581
darkdragon581
Spritan
Spritan

1/19/2011, 4:19 pm
@SXR123 wrote:around 6th grade I saw many sprite movies, crazy eights "dark sonic vs shadow" sonic's quest for power (which continues to be my favorite series EVER SMBZ can go jump off a cliff!) I just loved watching fights.

No not fights where they just beat the limbs off of each other I mean intense non stop ass kicking, sometimes with a story like alvin's or that vegito dude. Fights were intense and I just loved to watch how the people who made them just made the characters do unbeliveable things. As much as I like DBZ I got bored of those fights because most of them were just large energy beams that could roast an entire planet.

anyway I got into spriting starting with paint. boy... time sure fly's don't it? I had used paint for... I guess a year an a half or maybe just half a year. I then switched to pivot 3 beta, which CONSTANTLY crashed on me, losing all of my good work. I then stumbled upon ifureadthisdie's tuts. I tried them twice, and fucked up BAAADDDDD I gave up using flash afterwords-for the moment and went back using pivot since it was (not always reliable)use-able.

I told myself enough was enough, I devoted an entire weekend to learn how to use flash, and thanks to me finally getting it I learned how to use flash and constantly continue to improve thanks to eric. My video's improved, my subscribers on youtube went high and it was all thanks to eric, and a few friends who helped when I needed it.

by the way just to tell you all, I had NEVER seen Alvin's SMBZ before starting spriting, in fact I had never seen it until I was done using pivot, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. so blah blah blah I talk to much. by th eway.. what the EFF is red pen?

What got you to make a Sprite Animation? HandClap
SXR123
SXR123
Administrator
Administrator

1/19/2011, 4:22 pm
@darkdragon581 wrote:
@SXR123 wrote:around 6th grade I saw many sprite movies, crazy eights "dark sonic vs shadow" sonic's quest for power (which continues to be my favorite series EVER SMBZ can go jump off a cliff!) I just loved watching fights.

What got you to make a Sprite Animation? HandClap

boy- ah said boy, i'mma gunna have to stab, yah git ready fer the hurtin thar youngin.
DarkInfernoZ
DarkInfernoZ
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2010-02-07

1/19/2011, 6:05 pm
YuuMonMuu was my first inspiration, 'nuff said.

Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 12925
Registration date : 2008-11-18
https://www.youtube.com/user/Granadicohttps://www.twitch.tv/granadico/profile

1/19/2011, 6:12 pm
damn seems like everyone's first sprite vid was SMBZ.

I've known about sprites since about sonic advance 1 or 2, seeing as how my cousin showed me a sprite sheet, but i didn't know wtf to do with it or anything. then in like the summer of 7th grade (so like 3 years ago) my friend Marc (master chafe) made a video involving Capt. Falcon in paint, so it was all choppy and what not, but seeing as how i knew what sprites were i was like :O i know this crap. Then he found pivot, and since i didn't have interwebz back then, i had to go over to his house if i wanted to animate (which is only like a block or 2 away), so i went almost everyday in the summer.
Then i finally got inerwebz, so i immediately downloaded Pivot 3, ripped Sonics sprites, and got to spriting shity :3
It was while till i found good animations, since i mostly made them, i never watched any, so i was pretty bad for a while (still am Wink ) then my friend Fabian (Fabianowns) talked to me about NASF at school, and said he shat himself in astonishment, so i went home and typed it in, and shat as well. Then i made a video being hugely inspired by it (and also asking Lange tips, much to my dismay ;( he criticized me for using Pivot and told me to use flash and all this, its still in the comments somewhere). Then i naively thought i had made a good video, and made it a video response to NASF (which i regret to this day, i can't remove the damn video from it /sob).
i suppose i went to far but oh well Razz

What got you to make a Sprite Animation? Granadico made by Knux184

We can learn from the past
But those days are gone
We can hope for the future
But there may not be one
-Mike Portnoy "A Change of Seasons"
SXR123
SXR123
Administrator
Administrator

1/19/2011, 6:25 pm
@Granadico wrote:damn seems like everyone's first sprite vid was SMBZ.

I've known about sprites since about sonic advance 1 or 2, seeing as how my cousin showed me a sprite sheet, but i didn't know wtf to do with it or anything. then in like the summer of 7th grade (so like 3 years ago) my friend Marc (master chafe) made a video involving Capt. Falcon in paint, so it was all choppy and what not, but seeing as how i knew what sprites were i was like :O i know this crap. Then he found pivot, and since i didn't have interwebz back then, i had to go over to his house if i wanted to animate (which is only like a block or 2 away), so i went almost everyday in the summer.
Then i finally got inerwebz, so i immediately downloaded Pivot 3, ripped Sonics sprites, and got to spriting shity :3
It was while till i found good animations, since i mostly made them, i never watched any, so i was pretty bad for a while (still am Wink ) then my friend Fabian (Fabianowns) talked to me about NASF at school, and said he shat himself in astonishment, so i went home and typed it in, and shat as well. Then i made a video being hugely inspired by it (and also asking Lange tips, much to my dismay ;( he criticized me for using Pivot and told me to use flash and all this, its still in the comments somewhere). Then i naively thought i had made a good video, and made it a video response to NASF (which i regret to this day, i can't remove the damn video from it /sob).
i suppose i went to far but oh well Razz

*goes to search for terrible video granny made*

and SMBZ was not the first one I saw... sonic's qiuest for power was... TWAZ AWZUMMMEEE!!
YoshiSonic
YoshiSonic
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2010-11-05

1/19/2011, 7:38 pm
When I was in 5th grade I didn't give a crap about spriting but then in the middle of 5th grade I was friends with this girl after a while she told me how to make a youtube account then I did after when I knew when to post my own videos I started making pic films (Sonic,Yoshi) then youtube poops and then I came across Shadow vs darksonic I was like What got you to make a Sprite Animation? Face
then when that was my total inspiration...well at least before I saw Macromedia I was like "ZOMGWTFBBQ wdf is this" I didn't get any of it at all so I said fuck this. Then I saw smexy One piece vs naruto

Mario vs Goku

Mario broz vs Goku and Vegeta

And alot others.

So then I decided to give macromedia flash 8 another chance and saw Eric's and moving backround tuts and then started but Im still trying to get good at it im not as good as Renny or Lange or KRA or Dabestbrawler to cut this thing short my journey is still going.

What got you to make a Sprite Animation? Dancing-happy-yoshi What got you to make a Sprite Animation? 259ab217
Mr Lange
Mr Lange
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 1576
Registration date : 2010-04-19

1/19/2011, 7:50 pm
I got into sprite animation like RIGHT when it started. My first sprite exploits ever happened when I was 12, with RPG Maker 2000, and later Game Maker. I saw some ancient Sonic sprite animation on Sonic Stadium (which is actually still good if it exists today) and realized how excellent the idea was, to harness powerful animation tools on old game graphics. So much could be done with it! Being a hardcore fan of retro games, I got a trial version of Swish and started learning... I made a sprite animation about Tails being a total fuck up and ruining Sonic's life. It was never finished : (

In 2004 I discovered Newgrounds, so along with that came Randy Solem and lgdvegetto's work, along with the variety of other sprite movies that started appearing, being a new trend. I got Swish 2 as a bday present and after a while of learning, made a fight between Sonic and Shadow. You can see that on NG now, its my first submission.

Shortly after that I met BDX, and we learned a lot having motivated each other constantly to practice. In 2006 he convinced me to use Flash instead of Swish. I think the rest is history from there.

What got you to make a Sprite Animation? Fzero%20death%20race
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator

1/19/2011, 7:54 pm
C/D Lange should finish/make that Tails video (again).

But those days are gone
But there may not be one
Eric
Eric
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 4283
Registration date : 2008-10-20

1/19/2011, 7:58 pm
I helped out a lot of people, and i am living to regret it so much..

Watch your ass.
What got you to make a Sprite Animation? Banned1a7c7e438gif
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator

1/19/2011, 8:00 pm
@Eric wrote:I helped out a lot of people, and i am living to regret it so much..

lol@sig. is it joey?
and <3 you too

But those days are gone
But there may not be one
darkdragon581
darkdragon581
Spritan
Spritan

1/19/2011, 8:26 pm
@Granadico wrote:
@Eric wrote:I helped out a lot of people, and i am living to regret it so much..

lol@sig. is it joey?
and <3 you too

1. maybe
2. i gave him it :3
SXR123
SXR123
Administrator
Administrator

1/19/2011, 10:38 pm

aww it's ok eric when I'm famous and I get an award I'll be happy to put you in my speech, all you had to do was ask.
Rapidfir3Pho3nix
Rapidfir3Pho3nix
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 4905
Registration date : 2009-01-23
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0ntn5nE-2rEXLA8GQ7mtsAhttps://rapidfir3pho3nix.deviantart.com/https://discordapp.com/channels/142444698311589888/142444698311589888https://twitter.com/rapidfir3animshttps://www.facebook.com/Rapidfir3Pho3nix/https://www.twitch.tv/rapidfir3pho3nix

1/19/2011, 10:57 pm
I freakin love watching Sonic's Quest for Power. It gave a new twist to my favorite video game character and had awesome fighting. And he made the sprites actually talk...I still don't know how to do that damnit...

lmao@ericsoptimisticlookathhistutorials
Leo
Leo
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 9153
Registration date : 2009-05-23

1/20/2011, 4:52 am
What got me to make sprite movies...

Well, I won't lie. I've found Newgrounds 1 year after Lange (I was Cool, and I used to watch old-school sprite movies. Not SMBZ. Stuff like Super Mario Reloaded, Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom and even Sonic VS Shadow by Lange.

Just after seeing each of these movies like 6 times, I found out about SMBZ, Eric and the rest is me wasting precious time of my life with you guys : D
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 20144
Registration date : 2010-09-15

1/20/2011, 9:01 am
This was the point of the fukin', introduction thread.

Alright. I watched Eric's lovely sprite anims, and start jacking off to one of them. Eventually I got to the point where I was getting better enough to stop watching that one video, and no, not his tutorials. Luffy Vs. Sanji. I studied a lot of stuff that was in that video, including the sprites.

Whatever. After learning some good stuff, like skewing, and natural b.s., like physics, I never came back to his channel.

Months later I joined this site and crap.

I will not fill in the details between the months. Read my secret past of animation in the Introduction thread.

What got you to make a Sprite Animation? Ping10
@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum