Granadico
14 posters
Go down
Anonymous

gravity tutorial Empty gravity tutorial

12/18/2010, 10:12 pm
so,i wanted to do this for the newbs.so here we go with tips:
1.)never,i mean NEVER,alow the player to jump higher and stay longer in the air
than regular (or at least the sprite world) gravity.
2.)if you are making a player jump,use ease.that helps most of the time
3.)dont go too slow with the jump. slower = stop jump faster
now to look at things:
now heres a look at what you shouldnt do:

this is what you should do:

depending on your gravity you may have a diffenthigh but always make the gravity close
to our regular gravity(unless,of cource,your doing something special).
1.)grab your sprites.simple jump,stand(or walk,dosent matter).
2.)now,chouse your gravity.is he going to jump very high?if he is use a double jump or anything you can use.
3.)make your animation.try not to make your thing jump too high.and gravity,this has another thing.dont make your thing
stay in the air too long.this makes people say things about your animation.
4.)if you got it done,look at it.does it look like the bad one?if it does,do you have a double jump.sure you can make it like the frist one,but any higher
and you may have to use a double jump.if you do do the frist one,make it go by faster.
thats about it...

Last edited by narutoall76 on 12/18/2010, 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 12958
Registration date : 2008-11-18
https://www.youtube.com/user/Granadicohttps://www.twitch.tv/granadico/profile

gravity tutorial Empty Re: gravity tutorial

12/18/2010, 10:17 pm
it would suck if mario could only jump that high TBH :\
and the only reason why the top one isn't right is because its just 2 straight diagonal lines, it should be a smooth curve.
and this isn't much of a tutorial either, more like a small Do's and Don'ts

___________________________________________________________________________________________

gravity tutorial Granadico made by Knux184

We can learn from the past
But those days are gone
We can hope for the future
But there may not be one
-Mike Portnoy "A Change of Seasons"
Anonymous

12/18/2010, 10:22 pm
im just using mario as a example >_<
anway im was lazy so i didnt animate his jump so high but im saying,dont try to make a character jump so high or something.heck,im not that good with jump things anyway.
ill edit it too make it tutorial-ish
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator

12/18/2010, 10:32 pm
i'm just saying people don't want realism from sprites (to a certain extent), that's why they sprite, to make shit the way they imagine it.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

But those days are gone
But there may not be one
Anonymous

12/18/2010, 10:36 pm
heck,just in case.you never know...
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 20161
Registration date : 2010-09-15

12/19/2010, 12:20 am
Actually, the best way to display good gravity, is too zoom up really good. Really close. Make the sprite move by one pixel or something. Zoom out, do the same.
Zoom out again, do the same, and then zoom out, do the same.

I rock hard at gravity, but I have a different system of doing it. PandaKing and I do this similarly to the sliding technique.

gravity tutorial Ping10
@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator

12/19/2010, 12:32 am
how about you show an example of your "rock hard" gravity technique >_>

But those days are gone
But there may not be one
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan

12/19/2010, 12:46 am
@Granadico wrote:how about you show an example of your "rock hard" gravity technique >_>

Yes, I will. Should I create I thread?

gravity tutorial Ping10
@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator

12/19/2010, 12:47 am
how about you show your example here since its a gravity tut, and maybe even an example of his style here that you made

But those days are gone
But there may not be one
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan

12/19/2010, 4:51 am
Very well. Although I haven't animated with Mario though. Only sonic recently lol.
I'm going to be dead in the morning. I just stayed up 5 hours straight. Maybe more. 11:00PM - 4:50 seems like a very long time. *NOTE I apologise if a paragraph doesn't make sense lol I made this at a bad time.
Alright lets get this show on the road. I got things to animate. ( I am animating in 30 fps)
gravity tutorial 2r56sea

I'm putting in my time for you fools, but I enjoy teaching.

Gravity. I'll make this less hard for you to understand. When you jump, you come back down. Simple as that. You jump in the air, and smoothly come back down. Depending on the ground level though. If you jump off a cliff, you'll gradually come faster to the ground, where as you jump from a side walk, you'll come down normally fast. It should be the same way with spriting. When you animate that, you should have a natural feel of what looks right and wrong. To show you what I am talking about...

.. Take a look at this faggotry garbage sh!t:

(ignore the bad skewing) (*note* This is acceptable, but in general is shouldn't look like this)
You can't even stay in the air that freggin long. This is good though. Normally this wouldn't be your average jump. We're trying to achieve an actually jump. What went entirely wrong is how he stayed in the air so damn long. That is your main problem. To be more specific, look at what Narutal made.

What he did is a perfect example. No one can stay in the air that damn long. When it comes with cartoon and animation, it's all good with physics and gravity. You don't see animation (in particular) that has an individual staying in the air that long. Maybe if he had the power to fly, or the ability to break the laws of physics, but no. You want to keep it clean like human-nature. It appeals and gives the viewer a nice smile on his/her face.

THIS, is what you want to do: (A scene taken from my Animation for the battle thread)

This is perfect. Sexy. Sonic smoothly lands on an object. He did not stay in the air for millions of years. Not only did I animate that, but he sonic projects himself into the air. Gravity is a important technique you must learn to be a pretty bad-ass animator. It'll make me, the teacher, look good, and you newbs, who are new to this, look good as well:3.

Let us begin:

I'll be picking Sonic. Set up your background, and turn the onion skin (onion skin is very important when spriting Always turn it on when animating) gravity tutorial 34r80pl, which is located here gravity tutorial 165ifp, on.

Also, adjust the "Start Onion Skin" and "End Onion Skin", which is this:
gravity tutorial 2hclzzr

to look like this:
gravity tutorial 2m26wjr
You adjust those by clicking it and moving it side to side.
IMPORTANT. You must ALWAYS do this when animating. It is good for aligning sprites, but you may adjust the Start Onion Skin in whatsoever various situations.

Now, it is time to animate. Align the sprite character before he jumps. You should select characters that have sprites before they jump, or jumping sprites.
I'll help you do this. Copy and paste the sprite to the bg.

gravity tutorial N4uosp

Zoom up to 2000%. Or press Ctrl and + together to zoom up that far. Zoom can be find here to adjust gravity tutorial 34pxr9x

In case you only have one sprite that leads to a jump, or you want the jump to look, non-gay, you will skew. Skewing is a technique that can be considered as, going through a transition to a leading sprite, or to be used as dodging. It can be used to follow or act as anything. Some people here on the spritas use Skewing to do transitions to sprites ALL the time throughout all their animations, because of that, or because they have very few sprites that lead to a jump. Usually leading jump sprites or 2 lol. If you have 1, your in some doo doo crap. It means that much. Some people here abuse the living jizz out of the sprite. I fairly use skewing, and I don't abuse it. Today is your lucky day, because you will learn as I call it, "Proper" skewing.

If you are zoomed up to 2000%, go to your sprite and select the free transform tool gravity tutorial Zwzxgz. Q for shortcut.

Now click the current frame you are on (the sprite we are working with now is in that frame from the timeline). You sprite should be in a box:

gravity tutorial 8y4x74

If you can, mouse over the edges of the box. The sides. The top, and the edge of the top or left corner of the box. If you noticed, your cursor changes into these icons:

gravity tutorial Pq90
The one we want to use for skewing is the second icon. You see it when you want to skew the top of the box, so lets get started.
See this?

gravity tutorial 14kgy1i
This is how we will skew. We will move that down as if Sonic is bending down to take a flying leap. Enough explanation, lets animate.

I x out the BG so we can see what we are working on.
Look.

gravity tutorial A0xykp
And I moved the current sprite a little bit down.

Now I press F6 two times. That will move to the open space frame, and make the same frame you made 1 frame ago. Now I will repeat the same thing. I'll move it down again. I want sonic to take a good leap, but I am animating in 30, so after you make this, move on. I have to make another.
gravity tutorial Nyrzbl

Alright. Press F6 Two times. In this frame, add the second sprite that leads to the jump. You'll drag the top much longer. Just a bit. so it will look like this:

gravity tutorial 2e1dv1d
I dragged it a bit longer than I previously did, now I will press F6 and I will drag the top down little again, like this:

gravity tutorial 33wpg0h
Again. F6, drag it a little bit. Repeat this 5 times. Don't repeat the drag longer part. Just a little bit

1 sprite
2 sprites
Congratulations! You have animated 1 sprite that leads to a jump by skewing! We are ready to move on to the main course. The jump.
Now I will make Sonic skew upwards so it will seem as if he projects himself towards the air. In the timeline, extend the last frame to 10 frames. I already did that but going 10 frames in the time line. Side click the 10th frame away from the frame that has the sprite and "insert frame"

gravity tutorial 2vwsojd
Now press F6. We will similarly do what we did when our character was bending down, but will make brief frames. If you already pressed F6, move drag the top of the box up a little, like this,

gravity tutorial Nyrzbl

but upwards. F6 and drag it a little again. Now F6 and drag the top longer a bit like we did here,
gravity tutorial 2e1dv1d

but upwards.

Alright. Take your leap sprites. Click the View>Grid>Show Grid. Paste the leap sprites and pick the first one that starts the leap. Align it sqr. 0.- Actually. Forget math. Just align it where I put the sprite in the square.

gravity tutorial 14cbpxc I put the foot where I aligned it in the square.
Now when move sprites, it you can move it with it directional keys. You can move it faster if you zoomed out to 62% (by pressing ctrl and +), and very slow when it is at 2000%. Zoom out to 125%. Select the selection tool so you wont see the boxes. Much easier to see. Now here is the tricky part. Mainly it is tricky because I am using 30 frames per second and I'm using a different character, but I will show you exactly how my movements you need to do to make a perfect jump.

Press F6 two times. Press up 26 six times times
gravity tutorial 5d2a08
. F6 Two times. Move up 13 times.
gravity tutorial Wclkdt
F6 Two times. Insert your second leap sprite, IF you have one. If you don't just use the one you already have. Now align the second leap sprite by zooming up to 2000%. Align the sprite by foot:

Zoom out to 125. Move up 10 times

gravity tutorial 33m61ra
You see what we're doing? Depending on the Zoom, you can set up a system where you move the sprites longer and lower. This is called the sliding technique. It is where you sprite can smoothly slide. This also works for when they are in the air, or anything really. It applies for everything, even the v-cam. Alright, moving on.

F6 two times. move up 8 times.

F6 Two times. Move up 5 times.

By now, you should test weather it looks good or not. Adjust the sprites that are going up and see if it looks good by testing the movie.

So keep moving up. Zoom 1 by ctrl and + while you go less and less until the sprite is ready to fall.
gravity tutorial NyijybThats what is happening here. I am moving the sprites by one as I zoom up closer.
Now I will add 2 of the last frames by going to two open space frames and extend it there. I have already done it, but I wll highlight two frames a(black). You will insert frames there:

gravity tutorial 2i792tv

Now I will go down. As I do, I will zoom up two 2000%, and go down 1. F6 Go down by 1 again. F6 Go down again by 1. Zoom out. F6 Go down by 1. F6 Go down by one. F6 go down by one.
What's happening here is that the sprite will slowly fall down and then it will fall down faster. You will use the system as I distintively said earlier:

gravity tutorial 2ug2lg2
Get it? Please. I pray you do >.>
The more he goes down, the faster he goes down. You are done...!:3

Click the spoiler to see an illustration of what just happened.
Spoiler:
A trampoline. You jump as high as you can. You go towards the sky pretty fast. Then you slow down while you go up. Then you stay in the air for a slight second. You go back down but down faster as you go down.
N This is what you need to do with the sprites. You can use that system I told you. When Sonic jumps, you move the sprite while zoom out. About 120-150. You move him fast. Each time I move him up, he moves slower and slower.
gravity tutorial 2ug2lg2

Stays up in the air for a sligh second, then goes down slowly. Then faster until he hits the ground.gravity tutorial 2i792tv

gravity tutorial Ping10
Leo
Leo
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23

12/19/2010, 5:16 am
Ping, do you know that we can do this without it being FBF? >.>
Timmy
Timmy
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-11-08

12/19/2010, 8:15 am
Narutoall, the easing in your tutorial was..... bad. It look really, really odd. Ease the tween from 90%-100%

I have an example some where on my computer..

Spoiler:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Eric
Eric
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2008-10-20

12/19/2010, 9:36 am
None of you have any idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Watch your ass.
gravity tutorial Banned1a7c7e438gif
Renny
Renny
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 7880
Registration date : 2009-12-12

12/19/2010, 9:38 am
Yeah, Timmy is right.

Start easing in your animations including this.

gravity tutorial 34nsbrr
Timmy
Timmy
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-11-08

12/19/2010, 10:26 am

Spoiler:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Anonymous

12/19/2010, 11:44 am
i didnt tween,i did frame by frame.i ease most of the time.anyway pingboy got a tutorial out of this better than i did.again,i was lazy with that.
Renny
Renny
Spritan
Spritan
Number of posts : 7880
Registration date : 2009-12-12

12/19/2010, 12:00 pm
In Eric's opinion you both failed at your tutorials. Or at least thats what it look like when he said you guys don't know anything.

gravity tutorial 34nsbrr
Anonymous

12/19/2010, 12:01 pm
fine,we have too agree with eric.or he'll do something.
Rapidfir3Pho3nix
Rapidfir3Pho3nix
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 4905
Registration date : 2009-01-23
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0ntn5nE-2rEXLA8GQ7mtsAhttps://rapidfir3pho3nix.deviantart.com/https://discordapp.com/channels/142444698311589888/142444698311589888https://twitter.com/rapidfir3animshttps://www.facebook.com/Rapidfir3Pho3nix/https://www.twitch.tv/rapidfir3pho3nix

12/19/2010, 12:32 pm
@Eric wrote:None of you have any idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Then enlighten us, O Wise One lmao
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan

12/19/2010, 2:11 pm
Fuck.

Just spent 5 fucking hours fuck.
I can see if my tutorial doesn't make sense. But please. The .swfs are pretty good.

Timmy. It's in my tutorial. If you even looked at it. The easing is perfect.
I knew Eric would swing by and say that.

Well I can conclude that I do gravity better (>_<).

Last edited by Pingboy on 12/19/2010, 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

gravity tutorial Ping10
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator

12/19/2010, 2:14 pm
SO is this a failed tut or are we gonna keep trying till we get an acceptable one lol

But those days are gone
But there may not be one
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan

12/19/2010, 2:19 pm
Ok. Granny. Admit that I have the gravity technique down. My .swf examples disply good gravity.

gravity tutorial Ping10
Eric
Eric
Administrator
Administrator
Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2008-10-20

12/19/2010, 2:48 pm
It's wrong pingboy.
When sonic stops in mid air not only is it abrupt, but he stays there for too long.
In real life he's either still moving up a bit or already moving down, there is never a noticeable stop in mid air.

Watch your ass.
gravity tutorial Banned1a7c7e438gif
Granadico
Granadico
Administrator
Administrator

12/19/2010, 2:54 pm
i think the only time people stay floating like that is with a spring, otherwise like eric said they go from going up to down, not up hover then down.

But those days are gone
But there may not be one
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan

12/19/2010, 8:28 pm
Sorry Eric. I'm not paying attention early in the mornings.

gravity tutorial Ping10
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum