Go down
Anonymous
Guest
Guest

game maker 8 Empty game maker 8

on 12/16/2010, 3:42 pm
game maker 8 is a program where you can make your own games and play other games.
website is here:
http://www.yoyogames.com/
game maker is used by many people just too have fun and learn coding.what does game maker coding look like you say?
well mostly something like this:
if combo == 2
{if p == 2
{instance_create(naruto.x,naruto.y,narutolight) sprite_index = naruto_combo_right_3
combo = 0}}
if combo == 1
{if p == 2
{instance_create(naruto.x,naruto.y,narutolight) sprite_index = naruto_combo_right2
combo = 2}}
if combo == 0
{if p == 2
{instance_create(naruto.x,naruto.y,narutolight) sprite_index = naruto_combo_right1
combo = 1}}
:examples are...:
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/60320-super-mario-bros-z
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/139090-naruto-todays-ninjas
www.yoyogames.com/games/43778-smash-bros-rumble-v0_7
Spoiler:
Note, most of us have some other business interests, so we don’t all work full time at YoYo (except me at the moment!), also there are some deliberately misleading statements below….see if you can spot them

Sandy Duncan
Me (Sandy Duncan). I’m 46. Got an MA at the University of Aberdeen, Scotland…played with computers …got a job with computers at the phone company, decided it was more lucrative selling computers than designing and programming them, so joined Hewlett Packard in sales and marketing, got frustrated working for a big company,heard about a job at Microsoft ..took it…loved it…in 1986 it was an EXCITING place to be….it was a SMALL company then with less than 1,000 people worldwide…. I ran various European businesses from Reading (UK), Seattle, Paris and finally London, including my last 4 years doing one of the best jobs in the world setting up and running the European part of Xbox…got frustrated in a big company (then about 35,000 people !), left, did a job that taught me life isn’t JUST about money…so created YoYo Games . Live on a farm in England with 4 (very young) kids and a red Volvo. Love to play console games, especially FPS (Halo of course) and I think “Wii” is the worst name ever for the best gaming experience I’ve ever had…especially playing Wii Sports (Tennis and boxing) with my 7 year old hyperactive son….




James North-Hearn
A “proper” games industry guy….wears a lot of black, drives a fast car (badly…), drinks even more than I do(badly)…. He might even be slightly older than me, but the important thing is like me, he’s never grown up ! James was a founder of Gremlin and VP of Publishing at Infogrammes/Atari before he got a “proper” job when he helped to found Sumo-Digital about 4 years ago. ”Sumo” are now one of the UK’s leading game developers and do a LOT of work for SEGA (check out Outrun2 or the PSP version of Virtua Tennis) as well as Sony (they actually wrote a Sudoku game for Sony which topped the charts in Japan !!). Interestingly…Jacob Hapgood, who wrote The Game Maker’s Apprentice” with Mark works at Sumo……are you starting to spot the coincidences ?? James has 2 kids (one young, one difficult) and lives in Sheffield, Outer Mongolia and drives a tractor.




Michel Cassius
…another “games industry veteran”. Wasted a few years of his life at Apple (he even uses one of those MacBook thingies). Spent a few years at “EA” running their online business in Europe..they closed it down…so he left…joined me at Xbox as director of publishing where he spotted the potential of “Splinter Cell” and did the deal that probably saved Xbox in it’s early days..he also setup and ran Xbox Live in Europe…and stayed there till last year. He’s been running a US based online games/gaming company in Europe for the last year. He’s French (so he chooses the wine), lives in a Castle in London, with his wife and 3 children and drives a very powerful scooter with a built in umbrella.




Spencer Hyman
Definitely NOT a games industry veteran. Spencer spent a lot of his formative years working for Hasbro in Japan and the Far East where he did everything but get involved in their PC/Video games business. After that he helped setup and develop Amazon’s UK subsidiary where I met him because he fell out with Microsoft….since then he’s been a venture capitalist and is most likely to be found working as COO of Last.fm. …trust me the website is much cooler than Spencer….if you haven’t been “scrobbling” yet…then check it out at www.last.fm. YoYo is something that Spencer has helped to create in his spare time and I don’t expect that to change much…but he’s a really important influence over us nonetheless. Spencer lives in London with his family where he is planning to build a Mosque in his back garden with the profits from YoYo Games




Mark Overmars
After a long career with more than 500 appearances for Ajax, Arsenal and Barcelona…only kidding…no need to introduce Mark to the community !! Suffice to say that he IS the creator of Game Maker and remains the single most influential person in YoYo Games. Mark lives in a boat beside a small canal in the Netherlands and allegedly takes the occasional phone call on behalf of a former Dutch international footballers (only one of these 2 facts is indeed true !)

Renny
Renny
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 7880
Registration date : 2009-12-12
Location : Where you find me

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/16/2010, 3:49 pm
lol he brought naruto into it.

Anyway, DD told me of this program once. When I first started animating.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

game maker 8 34nsbrr
Leo
Leo
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 23
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/16/2010, 4:00 pm
You didn't show good examples of really good work made with GM. Eggman Hates Furries, Spelunky, and some other games are pretty good. The games you showed here aren't so good.
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 24
Number of posts : 20161
Registration date : 2010-09-15
Location : Madison Wisconsin

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/16/2010, 9:22 pm
Woah Game maker

I love Naruto.

Eggman Flurrie was made with game maker?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

game maker 8 Ping10
@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
Anonymous
Guest
Guest

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/16/2010, 9:25 pm
i didnt give good examples because eggman hates flurrys isnt on gamemaker's site.
here are more good examples(naruto was brought into this because that code is from my game):
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/72097-death-worm
about to give more info
Ping
Ping
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 24
Number of posts : 20161
Registration date : 2010-09-15
Location : Madison Wisconsin

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/16/2010, 9:51 pm
Nice game. What do you plan on doing with this game maker?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

game maker 8 Ping10
@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
Leo
Leo
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 23
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/17/2010, 4:24 am
Pingboy wrote:Eggman Flurrie was made with game maker?

It's Eggman Hates FURRIES. Not flurrie or flurrys. And yeah, it's made with Game Maker.

narutoall76 wrote:i didnt give good examples because eggman hates flurrys isnt on gamemaker's site.
here are more good examples(naruto was brought into this because that code is from my game):
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/72097-death-worm
about to give more info

Death Worm is good at least. And not every GM game is on the YoYo Games site.

Some games to interest you guys a bit more in GM :

The Plunge

Bite The Bullet

Takishawa is Dead

Wrapple

Atomic Super Boss

sqr ( EFFECTASTIC! )

Incoming : Battle for Planet Earth

Steam

And don't dare say that I need to tell you the fan-games.


Last edited by leocartoon1 on 12/17/2010, 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
5h0ck
5h0ck
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 29
Number of posts : 7620
Registration date : 2010-09-08
Location : Drinking your expired K
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJMXtpQUTAA2kNWj_dwWnAhttps://twitter.com/abxelic

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/17/2010, 7:31 am
wasn't that smbz game made with game maker.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

game maker 8 Ichigo10
Mr Lange
Mr Lange
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 30
Number of posts : 1576
Registration date : 2010-04-19
Location : The Land of Waldos

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/17/2010, 10:48 am
Using instance_create is a very bad finite state machine technique. An object should never have to change its identity, just local variables and the related sprites.

Game Maker is ok... Its much better as a learning tool. Its lack of flexibility is over compensated by the mess of plugins and whatnot developed by the community. It was written in the lousy Delphi language, which is an interpreted language, and thus very slow. Game Maker games suffer from awful lag and very nasty loading screens. You can't make anything more than a simple space shooting game without it swallowing all your ram.

I have had a lot of fun with Game Maker growing up and learned quite a lot by using it, but I don't recommend taking on any serious projects with it. You will all be much better off by learning a real programming language and likely a compatible game engine.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

game maker 8 Fzero%20death%20race
Anonymous
Guest
Guest

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/17/2010, 11:39 am
well,mr.lange,i acually found games that dont lag.heck,even when recording it didnt lag.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCeuET9CyM4
anyway pingboy,i do have a plan to for game maker.my GIP(game in progress):
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/139090-naruto-todays-ninjas

anyway,mr lange,intance create is used to check colision with a object since player object you NEVER set to solid in a platform game.that code checks if the player(naruto)is doing a combo and in another pice of coding in the other player it checks if he colides with naruto_strong(or whatever) so he can take damage.
Leo
Leo
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 23
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/17/2010, 11:56 am
Instance_create DON'T check collisions.
Anonymous
Guest
Guest

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/17/2010, 11:59 am
.....the object that is created uses intance_create to make it appear at naruto to check hitting colision......you get it?
Renny
Renny
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 7880
Registration date : 2009-12-12
Location : Where you find me

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/17/2010, 2:06 pm
Whoa. Lange and Leo. >_>

2 of the Best information guides we have here.

I'll probably use this after I get good at animating.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

game maker 8 34nsbrr
Leo
Leo
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 23
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/17/2010, 2:43 pm
Only as a learning tool though : D

BTW, I'm not so much of a expert, I just know the major stuff, I don't know really much about programming.
Anonymous
Guest
Guest

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/17/2010, 2:45 pm
so you know stuff like this?:
if not place_free(self.x+0,self.y+10) and
pain = 0 and
s = 0 then
{
if p =1
sprite_index=naruto_jump_left // you do not need curly braces if there is only one execution of the IF
if p = 2
sprite_index=naruto_jump_right
}
Renny
Renny
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 25
Number of posts : 7880
Registration date : 2009-12-12
Location : Where you find me

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/17/2010, 2:53 pm
leocartoon1 wrote:Only as a learning tool though : D

BTW, I'm not so much of a expert, I just know the major stuff, I don't know really much about programming.

Learn then teach Very Happy

___________________________________________________________________________________________

game maker 8 34nsbrr
Mr Lange
Mr Lange
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 30
Number of posts : 1576
Registration date : 2010-04-19
Location : The Land of Waldos

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/17/2010, 4:55 pm
narutoall76 wrote:well,mr.lange,i acually found games that dont lag.heck,even when recording it didnt lag.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCeuET9CyM4
anyway pingboy,i do have a plan to for game maker.my GIP(game in progress):
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/139090-naruto-todays-ninjas

anyway,mr lange,intance create is used to check colision with a object since player object you NEVER set to solid in a platform game.that code checks if the player(naruto)is doing a combo and in another pice of coding in the other player it checks if he colides with naruto_strong(or whatever) so he can take damage.

A powerful machine can run most games without lag, but a typical or old computer will always lag GM games. Mine sure does.

I misjudged your instance names then. What you have there are hitboxes.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

game maker 8 Fzero%20death%20race
Timmy
Timmy
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 22
Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-11-08
Location : Windsor Ontario, Canada

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/17/2010, 5:13 pm
I used to use game maker so much. Then I got flash, went back much later, and realized how much of a hassle game maker is. Getting in sprites in and stuff is annoying, the scripting is odd, and Lange is right, way to may plug-ins that should have been added in the first place. Most of my games were shit anyway, so I'm not in any way disappointed.

Speaking of game maker, that Game Factory 2, Newgrounds Edition is really gay. I tried it, and it made no sense at all. At least game maker followed basic patterns and such. GF is just a pile of rubbish.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Spoiler:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Anonymous
Guest
Guest

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/17/2010, 6:13 pm
Same with,flash for sprite..at least in game maker you can take from the sprite sheet without adding it in the file to increase file size ...I don't ever need a extension pack for anything what you doing?flash is harder with thataction script.heck,game maker has gadget coding and gives you starting. Tutorials.heck,flash got nothing on game maker
Mr Lange
Mr Lange
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 30
Number of posts : 1576
Registration date : 2010-04-19
Location : The Land of Waldos

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/17/2010, 6:28 pm
Timmy4080 wrote:I used to use game maker so much. Then I got flash, went back much later, and realized how much of a hassle game maker is. Getting in sprites in and stuff is annoying, the scripting is odd, and Lange is right, way to may plug-ins that should have been added in the first place. Most of my games were shit anyway, so I'm not in any way disappointed.

Speaking of game maker, that Game Factory 2, Newgrounds Edition is really gay. I tried it, and it made no sense at all. At least game maker followed basic patterns and such. GF is just a pile of rubbish.

Haha your analysis is very good. Or, rather, exactly as it should be.
The fuck you're 12 years old, what is your real age timmy?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

game maker 8 Fzero%20death%20race
Mr Lange
Mr Lange
Administrator
Administrator
Age : 30
Number of posts : 1576
Registration date : 2010-04-19
Location : The Land of Waldos

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/17/2010, 6:37 pm
narutoall76 wrote:Same with,flash for sprite..at least in game maker you can take from the sprite sheet without adding it in the file to increase file size ...I don't ever need a extension pack for anything what you doing?flash is harder with thataction script.heck,game maker has gadget coding and gives you starting. Tutorials.heck,flash got nothing on game maker

lolwut
Technically Flash can do the same thing with sprite sheets, but it would be more complicated, both with code and that you would have to load them from a server.
Extensions add powerful features to Game Maker, like programmable tweens, more powerful online game support, fmod and other sound engines, etc. These are usually necessary for a lot of things but you have to scavenger hunt for all of them and can make compiling games more complicated, not to mention throw in unnecessary heaps in the file size.
Game Maker does have a lot of tutorials but mostly due to it being a very educational program. Flash has a cult following online and a large myriad of tutorials on every AS game making subject imaginable, not to mention Flash's help file is extremely thorough and detailed. Not to mention Flash and AS are in many ways far more powerful than Game Maker. Oh yeah, vector graphics. Flash also compresses its data wwwaaayyy better.

If you ask me, Flash has quite A LOT on Game Maker.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

game maker 8 Fzero%20death%20race
Timmy
Timmy
Spritan
Spritan
Age : 22
Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-11-08
Location : Windsor Ontario, Canada

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/17/2010, 6:43 pm
@Mr Lange wrote:
Timmy4080 wrote:I used to use game maker so much. Then I got flash, went back much later, and realized how much of a hassle game maker is. Getting in sprites in and stuff is annoying, the scripting is odd, and Lange is right, way to may plug-ins that should have been added in the first place. Most of my games were shit anyway, so I'm not in any way disappointed.

Speaking of game maker, that Game Factory 2, Newgrounds Edition is really gay. I tried it, and it made no sense at all. At least game maker followed basic patterns and such. GF is just a pile of rubbish.

Haha your analysis is very good. Or, rather, exactly as it should be.
The fuck you're 12 years old, what is your real age timmy?

I'm 12.
Look at zee "post a picture of your self" thread. You can tell I'm 12.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Spoiler:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Anonymous
Guest
Guest

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/17/2010, 8:46 pm
Lange told me.....but I dint like action code.not as close to English as game maker..um on my phone so ill say something later
Leo
Leo
Moderator
Moderator
Age : 23
Number of posts : 9201
Registration date : 2009-05-23
Location : Brazil

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/18/2010, 3:41 am
narutoall76 wrote:Lange told me.....but I dint like action code.not as close to English as game maker

That didn't make sense at all. Are you saying that the code syntax of AS doesn't look like English?
Anonymous
Guest
Guest

game maker 8 Empty Re: game maker 8

on 12/18/2010, 9:14 am
leocartoon1 wrote:
narutoall76 wrote:Lange told me.....but I dint like action code.not as close to English as game maker

That didn't make sense at all. Are you saying that the code syntax of AS doesn't look like English?
ok i was on my phone when i typed that.its like THIS:
ACTION SCRIPT:
my_sound = new Sound();
my_sound.attachSound("mix1");
play();

that was action script play sound thing
heres gamemakers:
sound_play(index)
its shorter and is easier to understand.
Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum